The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: Linking Safety Pins (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
leefoley3
View Profile
Elite user
Texas
402 Posts

Profile of leefoley3
I'm sure many of you have seen this and some perform it. Just curious as to whether or not any of you would care to share where you learned the initial routine from, whether or not you've put any twists on it (if you can share), etc.?
I learned the routine from our very own Vinny Marini ( you ROCK Vin! Smile ).
I use 2" brass "basting" pins. I thought although most people are more familiar with the silver ones, the brass ones looked a little more classy. That and
I have other brass props, (the tips on my favorite wand are brass, brass cups, etc.).
So, how many of you out there dig the routine and use it?
Best,
Lee
In December of '06 I was diagnosed with a very rare cancer, Dermatofibrosarcoma Protuberans. One in a million people worldwide are diagnosed with this type of cancer annually. Sarcomas account for 1% of all cancers. Knowledge is power!
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10972 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Hi Lee One of the best versions for safety pin routines is Dan Garretts pindimonium, It is available on his video Close up conivery.
there is also the Jerry Andrus routine ...
vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
tmoca
View Profile
Inner circle
1113 Posts

Profile of tmoca
Bruce Bernstein
Jonathan P.
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium
1484 Posts

Profile of Jonathan P.
There is a LOT of threads about that...
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
The brass ones are easier to solder too!

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
saggett
View Profile
New user
Cape Town, South Africa
1 Post

Profile of saggett
Hi,

Something with a different swing are the linking paper clips - 6 clips, 2 different colors. Inserted individually into fist in specific order. Work the magic and they pulled out of fist all joined in original order. Great close-up magic using TT.
paymerich
View Profile
Special user
Norwalk, CT
546 Posts

Profile of paymerich
To expand on Saggett's suggestion , take 6 multi-colored and link em together. Hold in FP. Also have a M****T in your BP. In other hand display 6 loose ones . Swing arm back allowing loose ones to attach to M****T and toss linked ones in air. great illusion
Have a Magical Day!
<BR>
<BR>The Maniacal Mage
<BR>
<BR>Pablo Aymerich
<BR>Norwalk, CT 06851
freakshowjim
View Profile
New user
singapore
66 Posts

Profile of freakshowjim
AArrGGhhh!!! this is sickening, I have been looking for Jerry's Linking Pins for close to a year, after falling in love with the effect watching his video.. it is IMPOSSIBLE to find it, I even bought two sets of the imitations thinking those were the ones .... I hope he will be manufacturing it soon, it would be such a waste if it is discontinued... such a waste... if anyone knows a source where I can get it PLEASE PM me PLEASE I MUST HAVE IT!!!
zhuanan
View Profile
Veteran user
383 Posts

Profile of zhuanan
I learnt the linking safety pin from a book...can't quite remember the title though....
lekin
View Profile
Regular user
Sometimes less is more so I only have
180 Posts

Profile of lekin
Linking Pins Review

The Magic Café is full of interesting threads on this effect, and a search on linking pins or Jerry Andrus will be instructive. What I have done is to compile many of the points addressed in these threads, and add my own perspective.

I like the linking pins because it uses everyday objects, and is easily carried around. At the same time, be advised that this does require practice, it is not a self-working out of the box miracle. You will probably get stuck a few times (literally).

The three most readily available versions are Dreamweaver, the Stealth Linking Pins, and Slydinin Pins. Each has attractive features. I found Dreamweaver the easiest, plus it includes some moves that I didn't find elsewhere. For me, linking in the hands of the spectator was especially strong. I think many of us have their "testers;" mine is my seventh-grade son. When I performed the link in his hands, it provided an off-beat that lasted a long time. . .

I like the Stealth Pin routine and idea, but am not sure that I have the experience or persona to carry it off. At the same time, the Houdini Magic people have spent time and energy researching and collecting material from a wide variety of sources. If you are a serious student who likes to delve into the history of an effect, or if you like learning different variations as a way of working into your own routine, this scholarship alone will make the Stealth Pin version worth your while.

Slydini Pins uses a slightly different method and could easily call for greater audience management skills than the other versions. The manuscript and instructions are straightforward and clear and provide insight into the thinking of one of the acknowledged greats.

Aside from Gene Gordon who gets credited most frequently for "Piff-Paff-Poof," and Han van Senus who gets credited for the "soft pin," the two names that come up most frequently in relation to linking pins routines are Jerry Andruss and Dan Garrett. Sets issued by Andruss occasionally pop up for sale, and magicians who have the Andruss set swear that they have received years of use; the quality of the pin selected by Andruss seemingly exceeds what is found in the marketplace today. As for Dan Garrett, his frequently-cited "Pin-dimonium" seens to provide the foundation or inspiration for many current variations.

One last note: The most common routines use either a 2 inch or a 3 inch pin; there are a few references and suggestions for handling smaller pins. Personally, I like the 2-inch, but you will find just as many who prefer the 3-inch pins. Look at craft and sewing stores, variety stores. The 3-inch pins are a bit harder to find and are sometimes called "blanket" pins.

I also organized a summary in chart form (Word Document) and will gladly pm you as an attachment if you can read word. Saving it as a text docunment sacrifices the formatting, but here is the information anyway.

Name, Credited to and Produced by: Included Routines or Moves: General Notes

Stealth Linking Pins by Geno Munari is produced by Houdini Magic.
Routines and Moves include:
Un-Saftety Pins by Han van Senus with Harry Lorayne;
The Linking Pins by Karl Norman;
Move from Dan Garrett's Pin-Demonium;
Stealth Linking Pin Routine;
Hunter's Foop Fapp Fipp;
J.V. Lyons's Slip, Snap, Spoof;
Kosky's Piff-Paff-Poof Variation;
Klayder's Locked
Variation of van Senus "soft pin" method.

Includes a thorough literature review and numerous variations including innovative "Stealth Pin" routine

Dreamweaver by Nicholas Bengston is produced by The Enchantment.

Multi-phase routine with several moves not covered elsewhere including Throwing the Pin/In the Spectator's Hand
Uses Van Senus method PLUS additional possibilities with special third pin. Possibly easiest to master

Slydini Pins by Slydini/Palmer Magic. Produced by Palmer Mag
Slydini's 5-stage Routine
Additional material includes Twist Linking by Palmer; Speed Linking by Palmer; Unlinking thru side by Jerry Andrus; Metal thru metal by Andrus; Escaping Pins by Andrus
Relies on different method than previous two; provides some moves by Andrus
Andrus Pins

Andruss Pins: Magicians who have them swear by their quality. Difficult to find originals, watch for auctions, estate or private sales
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Lee,

I'm sorry, I did not deal with your original question. Linking safety pins is something that I learned in the middle 60's from some one in a music store in Birmingham, Alabama.

And 35-40 years later, I still enjoy doing it as part of table magic. (You know that you can also do pin through card with the same props?)

Vinny is young enough to know some other uses for the same props too. (He even spent buffalo nickels!)

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
10972 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Bob you got that right lol. My good friend Steve Dusheck has some killer pins that was not mentioned his pin thru the trousers is excellent.
Come check out my magic.

Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5474 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
Theres a performance of this effect on the "new" Slydini DVD set coming out this week called "As I Recall"

koz
lekin
View Profile
Regular user
Sometimes less is more so I only have
180 Posts

Profile of lekin
One of the things that I have come to appreciate about the Magic Café is not only how much knowledge and experience is represented, but how much people are willing to share. Bob, thank you for mentioning the pin through card. It reminded me that it would have been interesting to have included a list of related effects -- pin through card, Vinnie mentioned pin through trouser, also there is pin through napkin. Vinnie, sorry I overlooked your friend Steve Dusheck. Do you know where I can find some info on his pins?
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
10972 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Larry Steve is amember here on the Café
his web site I believe is.
Sdusheck.com

vinnh
Come check out my magic.

Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Vinny baby
Boy did I miss you in the Meadowlands last week. Steve Dusheck's web address is http://www.stevedusheck.com I must say that his lecture at Metro Magic was a peek into the mind of a great inventor, and a magicians magician.
Al
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
clamon86
View Profile
Special user
508 Posts

Profile of clamon86
Sol Stone has a great version of the linking pins. His routine is taught on his video which is excellent.
Jay Newton
View Profile
New user
47 Posts

Profile of Jay Newton
Bruce Bernstein's is the best I have ever seen.
waltsal
View Profile
Loyal user
278 Posts

Profile of waltsal
The Bernstein routine is available at Magic Inc.
leefoley3
View Profile
Elite user
Texas
402 Posts

Profile of leefoley3
Thanks for sharing everyone!! That's awesome. It's been awhile since I've spent quality time with everyone here at the Café. It's something how this thread has gotten rather "hot" lately and the time that it was originally started (1/31/05...just so you don't have to scroll to top!!).

Could you imagine having every magician that frequents this site as a close friend that you could visit in person when you wanted? Now THAT'S mind-blowing. Thanks again to you all. Keep it coming!

Lee
In December of '06 I was diagnosed with a very rare cancer, Dermatofibrosarcoma Protuberans. One in a million people worldwide are diagnosed with this type of cancer annually. Sarcomas account for 1% of all cancers. Knowledge is power!