The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: Misled Pencil? (9 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On Aug 22, 2018, Leo H wrote:
Quote:
On Aug 22, 2018, Julie wrote:
Hi Bill,

I'm pretty sure Misled was out before David Copperfield performed it on television. However, AFTER David Copperfield performed it on television, magicians started a feeding frenzy at the dealers...

Julie

What year was that Copperfield special? It could not have been in the 1970s, much later than that. Copperfield's first special was in 1979 or 1980.

I could go back in my Genii Magazines, and work this all out, but I will leave that you guys who just have to be right. As I remember, the booklet supplied, mentions David Copperfield printed on the cover, or there was a gold sticker attached. So I guess supplies were manufactured before the big release, but I am sure it would be poor marketing to be selling a trick with false comments on it. Sure stock has to be prepared and made ready for shipment. And of course it was not invented just for David Copperfield, but Timothy Wenk, I am sure, train him on the performance of the effect, as David had the inventors train him in person.
Leo H
View Profile
Inner circle
1349 Posts

Profile of Leo H
Misled goes as far back as Genii Magazine 1980 and the Linking Ring in 1987.
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
2001 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
Being that the oil and gas market is global, it is the worst market to try and predict because there are too many variables that effect both supply and demand. One cannot use that market to compare to anything else really.

The law of supply and demand dictate that when demand goes up, the price goes up all things being equal. This happens every Christmas when a toy gets hot and starts to sell out. The price goes up, particularly in the secondary market.

Quote:
On Aug 22, 2018, Dollarbill wrote:
I think Bill is right on this one Kaliix. When the supply is not there the price goes up to slow down the purchases. That is the big oil explanation for gas prices fluctuating (i'm not sure how to spell that. ha!) supposedly. Now when the prices get jacked up for the summer, well I believe that is just Big Oil GREED. 🙂. But were not talking big oil. we're talking Mis-Lead. 👍😀.. I still think $20 is a much fair-er price. 👌 db

maybe Timothys costs went wayyyyy up. But I don't think the gimmick cost very much to make. I want to make clear that I'm not tryin' to bad mouth anybody. Timothy included.. 😀
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
mentalboy
View Profile
New user
38 Posts

Profile of mentalboy
Everyone is talking about the (minor) raise in price. It's a beautiful effect at 10x the price. I used Mislead when it first came out, when pencils were ubiquitous. Now, you hardly see one in a regular office setting. Is the effect out of date?
Leo H
View Profile
Inner circle
1349 Posts

Profile of Leo H
Quote:
On Aug 26, 2018, mentalboy wrote:
Everyone is talking about the (minor) raise in price. It's a beautiful effect at 10x the price. I used Mislead when it first came out, when pencils were ubiquitous. Now, you hardly see one in a regular office setting. Is the effect out of date?

No--the effect is not out of date. Those people working in offices all grew up in school taking exams with Number 2 pencils. And so did laymen from all walks of life. There is nothing to worry about. A pencil is instantly recognizable. Those with craft skills can make a bic pen gimmick once the effect is understood.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On Aug 26, 2018, mentalboy wrote:

You really should ge out more. Take a break from shopping on line, and physically go to Wal-Mart, Dollar General, Family Dollar, Office Depot, Staples. You will find thousands of wood pencils for sale. Don't you get the weekly fliers, from these stores as well. If you did not know, it is Back To School season in stores, and there are pencils galore.

[b]Would there be thousands of pencils on store shelves, if no one purchased them.

Also see this same question I replied to earlier in this topic discussion.

Do you know they are still selling "land Line" telephones as well.
Charles Gaff
View Profile
Loyal user
204 Posts

Profile of Charles Gaff
When I was first preforming for friends, I took pencils from staples and "supplied" them for both my pool and bowling league. Once in awhile, I would take out a dollar and watch the reactions we all love. Tho bowling went digital and the pencil is no longer needed, they are still common, tho not as much. Any business is using ink or digital, so the opportunity to use them are less. But if you move right along and don't focus on the effect too much, it goes over very well, as it is a quality piece.
Charles Gaff
View Profile
Loyal user
204 Posts

Profile of Charles Gaff
Also to note. I just got the new misled, and the pencil still doesn't match.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On Oct 8, 2018, Charles Gaff wrote:
Also to note. I just got the new misled, and the pencil still doesn't match.

Which paint company did you have analyze the color match process? Lowe's, Mennard's, or retail paint store?
Dollarbill
View Profile
Inner circle
Colorado
1005 Posts

Profile of Dollarbill
Quote:
On Jun 1, 2010, Bill Hegbli wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-05-31 21:41, RS1963 wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-05-31 06:41, AncientGhost90 wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-05-21 10:58, Christopher Lyle wrote:
My ONLY issue with Mislead is that NOBODY carries a pencil so for you to just pull one out looks very suspect.

I have the bill signed and I say that since signing a bill with a pen is illegal we will just use a pencil...
just my 2 cents

It is not illegal to have a bill signed with a pen. That is a myth that magicians like to keep going for some odd and often uneducated reason.

The only way writing on U.S. paper money with a pen, would become illegal is if you were to somehow change the denomination of the bill. Say you have a one dollar bill and you changed the numbers in the corners from a 1 to a 5. you try to buy something with that bill and pass it off as five. Then that would be illegal. But writing on U.S. paper money is not against the law. That is a fact. Look it up yourself if you don't believe me.

Lighten up, the reason so many magicians use this line is because it gets a laugh. That should be your purpose in presenting magic, is to entertain and bring a little joy in the World to those watching. I don't care if it fact or not. If you have a problem with that maybe you should give up magic, as all magic tricks are also a lie and not fact.

Exactly Bill! That line also gives motivation as to "why we will be using a pencil today" 😀
mtstic44
View Profile
Loyal user
280 Posts

Profile of mtstic44
I got a hold of Mr.Wenk and he sent me his videos. It has helped me with some touches I did not know.
Many thanks to Mr. Wenk. Still one of the best effects out there.

Allen
Magic Mark
View Profile
Inner circle
After this post I will have
1555 Posts

Profile of Magic Mark
My copy of Misled is from Metempirical Magic in New York. The instruction sheet has a copyright notice on it, copyright 1980. That's probably about when I purchased it. It's been sitting in a drawer in the original envelope it was packaged in when new. The envelope still has the price sticker on it, $9.50 in 1980.

It came with just the pencil, gimmick and instructions. The gimmick's color didn't fully match the pencil provided, even when new. The instructions recommend a "Mongol" pencil so the colors will match (a Mongol pencil is the pencil included). I remember laughing at the recommendation because they didn't match when I purchased it.

The thing has been sitting in a drawer for 35-40 years. The gimmick is still in great shape, except, the color isn't a very good match.

I wonder if the newer ones are a better match?

Mark
Doing tricks can be easy, being an entertainer is much harder.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Mark, you have an interesting mystery. Maybe you got a copy of some kind, or an early, before David Copperfield presentation on television, as that pencil came with a printed booklet of several pages. It was priced at $15.00. I guess Copperfield had to see it somehow.

I love how everyone fixates on the color match thing. I used it in many presentation after purchasing, and no one ever said anything about stepping in the light, as the shadow is making the pencil, all look the same color. Mine looked the same color to me. Really glad, no one is performing it, that way I don't have to deal with the "I've seen that" comment.
Magic Mark
View Profile
Inner circle
1555 Posts

Profile of Magic Mark
Here are some photos of the envelope and the upper and lower parts of the instructions sheet (any image or description that reveals the method/gimmick is not included).

I don't remember the year when Copperfield performed it on TV, but I'm pretty sure I owned it before then.

Also, the instructions provided with my copy only detail one of the two types of penetration that Copperfield performed. Only the second one, the one with the pencil laying horizontally in the bill (which is folded into a V shape). There is no mention of ripping the pencil down through the edge of the bill while the bill is folded in half the long way and held vertically (the first penetration that Copperfield performed).

Click these links to open larger versions of those photos:

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-3ZhD......J-X3.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-PS9v......vbZz.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-FmNR......RdDv.jpg

Mark
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Thanks Mark, for the images. Looks like he marketed it way before the release by the Copperfield. We are all seeing a part of history, not many if anybody knew about.

Interested to know if you bought it in person or mail order. If in person do you remember the visit, and care to share.
Dollarbill
View Profile
Inner circle
Colorado
1005 Posts

Profile of Dollarbill
The bottom pic says Copyright 1980.
Magic Mark
View Profile
Inner circle
1555 Posts

Profile of Magic Mark
I purchased it in a magic shop here in San Diego. It was either Magician's World (owned by Chuck Martinez) or Brad Burt's Magic Shop. Magician's World was founded by Chuck back in the 1960s. Chuck's father owned a TV tuner repair business (El Cajon Blvd in San Diego) and Chuck opened a small magic shop in the corner of his father's business. Not long after, Chuck moved to his own location on 30th Street just south of University Avenue. I spent MANY hours in that shop in my youth. As Chuck became busy with other business pursuits (theater, costuming, etc.), Brad Burt eventually became the manager of Magician's World. Some years later, Chuck decided to either sell or close the shop and Brad opened up his own shop. It was originally across the street and down the block a little from Chuck's shop. Later, Brad moved his shop to Kearny Mesa.

I don't recall the exact years when this all happened. So, in 1980, I'm not certain if the shop that I purchased it from was Magician's World or Brad Burt's Magic Shop.

Mark
Magic Mark
View Profile
Inner circle
1555 Posts

Profile of Magic Mark
BTW, I really really miss both of those magic shops. We have a magic shop in downtown San Diego (which was originally in Seaport Village) but every time I go in there to buy a specific effect, they never have it in stock. Don't get me wrong, they have a pretty excellent selection of effects but they never seem to get the new stuff in stock or sell out of it and don't restock.

I think Penguin and Hocus-Pocus and others are killing the local magic shops. I'd MUCH rather give my money to a local magic shop but that's difficult to do if they don't have the item in stock. And their quote to order it for me is longer than it takes to get it from Penguin or Hocus-Pocus.

Mark
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Thanks Mark for sharing, you will be the one to prove that we were all wrong with the history. We all thought that this effect was not on the market until after the Copperfield special show. Now we know it was marketed before that, and Copperfield may have purchased it like the rest of us, at a magic shop.
Magic Mark
View Profile
Inner circle
1555 Posts

Profile of Magic Mark
Metemperical Magic is mentioned in the March 1981 issue of Genie Magazine:

https://www.lybrary.com/genii-volume-45-1981-p-561662.html

(Scroll down to entry 192)

I suspect it was an advertisement for Metemperical.

I couldn't find any other reference to the company. I have a feeling they weren't in business for very long.

Mark