The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: What is best resource for Gypsy Thread routine? (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6145 Posts

Profile of motown
Marc DeSousa's another guy with an interesting presention called DREAM CATCHER.
Real out of the box thinking. It's on Vol. 3 of his DVD set.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
djurmann
View Profile
Inner circle
thinks time to practice and stop writing
1481 Posts

Profile of djurmann
Scott Penrose does a version with flash string (separate out one of the strands) which is nice because at the end all the evidence just disappears
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10970 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Dental Floss
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Actually, the effect was initially a burned and restored thread effect. It is described as such in Mahatma at the end of the XIXth century
Magic is the art of emotionally sharing live impossible situations
Al Leach
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of Al Leach
I feel that Eugene Burger's handling and presentation on the Greater Magic tape is just wonderful.
murrari
View Profile
Veteran user
308 Posts

Profile of murrari
Quote:
On 2010-12-22 23:32, Al Leach wrote:
I feel that Eugene Burger's handling and presentation on the Greater Magic tape is just wonderful.

I agree. However, it is such a personal piece that any peformer would be advised not to merely copy Mr Burger's superb 'Creation of Life' presentation.
Andrew Murray
M.I.M.C. Gold Star
AndrewMurrayMagic

DON'T WAIT FOR INSPIRATION is my brand new e-book with 10 new routines.

APTITUDE is my first PLATINUM e-book with 10 new routines + 'SIGNS' bonus.

PLATINUM MEMBERSHIP is available here.

DNA
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Gaetan Bloom also has a very nice version for a large audience of children (and with just thread, it has always seemed to me like a feat)
Magic is the art of emotionally sharing live impossible situations
nonvpro
View Profile
Inner circle
1844 Posts

Profile of nonvpro
How about "The Hindu Thread Trick often referred to as The Gypsy Thread" booklet? This was written and Photographed by Lewis Ganson. The copy I have has a copyright notice in it dated 1980. There are 5 chapters for a total of 24 pages.
Mac_Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
Miami, FL
1435 Posts

Profile of Mac_Stone
Quote:
On 2010-12-24 12:28, nonvpro wrote:
How about "The Hindu Thread Trick often referred to as The Gypsy Thread" booklet? This was written and Photographed by Lewis Ganson. The copy I have has a copyright notice in it dated 1980. There are 5 chapters for a total of 24 pages.

This is available as a PDF download at Lybrary.com
tbaer
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania
2005 Posts

Profile of tbaer
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
6145 Posts

Profile of motown
It's a very elegant routine, although I'm not sure I like the use of the flashes in two places.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
rickmagic1
View Profile
Inner circle
MIddle Tennessee area
1548 Posts

Profile of rickmagic1
Quote:
On 2010-11-11 10:25, Pete Biro wrote:
Have you ever seen Ricky Jay's routine? Again, the METHOD IS NOT THE TRICK

Realizing this is an older topic, but I've been performing the Gypsy Thread for years and it struck my attention.

Pete's post here reminds me of something I recently read from Eugene Burger explaining that most magicians performances of magic tends toward "the adventures of the props in the magician's hands". Just something I was pondering...

Rick
Richard Green
The Modern Conjurer

Coming soon:
Victorian Secrets: An Evening With The Spirits!
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
In search of Vlad Dracul and his
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
I too seem late to this thread, but alas here are my two cents: I love the idea of a flash string gypsy thread, such as the one by Henry Evans, but if you perform it that way even twice a night for 3 or 4 nights a week, it gets to be one expensive effect.

Ever since I learned the Gypsy Thread when I was younger, I have always told a story, along the lines of the way Eugene Burger does it. I use a mini brass candle holder and blue birthday candles to burn the thread, which I prefer over manually breaking it. I am constantly on the hunt for a good, thick and visible cotton thread which is easy to break by hand, but I have yet to be satisfied. That is the other reason I use candles.

I am also curious to know what brand of dental floss works best for this effect. If anyone knows, please let me know!

I have also toyed around with the idea of buying Dragon Thread because it would be a breath of fresh air.
Mowee
View Profile
Loyal user
239 Posts

Profile of Mowee
Johnson & Johnson Reach waxed is the best I have found. Tried some generic brands but they weren't the same.
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
In search of Vlad Dracul and his
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
Thanks for that reference!
JOHNT1960
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of JOHNT1960
Quote:
On 2010-09-17 08:54, Nicodemus wrote:
Anyone know of a source for " Chadwicks mending cotton " .. either in the U.S. or someone that would be willing to purchase & mail some from the U.K. ...?

Thanks, - Nicodemus
I PURCHASED SOME STRING I USE SUCCESSFULLY FOR GYPSY THREAD TRICK.. I'VE PERFORMED IT ABOUT 300 TIMES .. I LIKE IT BECAUSE IT'S MORE VISIBLE AND YOU CAN WALK AROUND.. SHOWS BETTER FOR A LARGE CROWD. I'VE NEVER LIKED THREAD ( WAY TOO SMALL TO BE EFFECTIVE) SO I SENT A SAMPLE TO CHINA AND ORDERED 100 SPOOLS .. ABOUT 100 YDS PER SPOOL .. JOHN
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
6145 Posts

Profile of motown
How much did that cost you?
– Karl Germain
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Here is a source for Glow Thread from the Camirand Academy of Magic:
http://www.camirandmagic.com/ac_040_s.html

They sell a large supply also.
http://www.camirandmagic.com/ac_040_p.html

And they sell the tread an booklet here:
http://www.camirandmagic.com/mv_004d.html
Magicmike1949
View Profile
Special user
643 Posts

Profile of Magicmike1949
I can't believe this thread (pun intended) has gone this long without a mention of Peter Samelson's Heartstrings.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
6145 Posts

Profile of motown
Is his routine in print?
– Karl Germain