The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: Paddle tricks (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Merc Man
View Profile
Inner circle
NUNEATON, Warwickshire
2545 Posts

Profile of Merc Man
Another vote for 'I'll Start Again' by Jimmy Rogers.

Pure entertainment with just a little wooden paddle and a piece of chalk.

I've performed this trick for many years and it never fails to go over well.

It was also a favourite of Joe Riding - it's actually Joe's routine that I still use to this day.

Just to add that it was indeed sold via Harry Stanley's Unique Magic Studio, and then became an item that Ken Brooke also sold via his magic studio after he left Unique. It was (as quite rightly stated) also sold via Repro Magic, and to this day is still available via International Magic. However, the FIRST magic dealer that had rights to sell it were Kaymar Magic (owned by Harry Baron/Joe Stuthard). I'm fact, their shop (when based in Essex) displayed one of Jimmy Rogers' original bats that he made by hand himself. It was never for sale. I tried to buy it more than once. Smile
Barry Allen

Over 15 years have now passed - and still missing Abra Magazine arriving every Saturday morning.
Quentin
View Profile
Inner circle
1020 Posts

Profile of Quentin
The trick known as "I'll Start Again", is in fact Edward Victor's Bat Trick from "The Magic Of the Hands" series.
All Jimmy Rogers added was the "I'll Start Again", phrase.
And yes it is an excellent trick.
Gary T.
View Profile
Veteran user
375 Posts

Profile of Gary T.
I saw a guy in a video using a paddle move to put the head back on a match, I can't find it again so idk who he was it who came up with the idea but I love it and I use it all the time in combination with the old matchbook trick that I don't know the name of, the one where a match is pulled out and then the rest of the book is burned, and then the match dissapears to be found re-attached in the matchbook, makes for a decent little matchbook routine.
Rickshaw
View Profile
New user
Manchester. U.K
5 Posts

Profile of Rickshaw
I remember seeing Ken Brook demming I'll Start Again, Money Panel, and the one with a match through the paddle, but was most impressed with one he used to demonstrate earlier. It was one which was simply called SPOT STICKS, and the instructions I received when buying it was - I think - by R.C.JAMISON, unfortunately my instr. have now been mislaid. This routine beats all - in my opinion - those subsequently introduced. Had many requests by those who have seen it done, with all the bits of business (used by Ken Brook), and told it was their favourite. An absolutely great routine with small close-up props that take little room in your pockets and produces impromptu magic of the highest order. People who have not seen it, I would recommend to search it out. Similar to Jumping Gems, but better. Not just my opinion but all those who have witnessed it. Search it out.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Ya know, I like this set:

http://wolfsmagic.com/Paddlecraft%20BLACK.htm

Cutting edge. Smile

Once, I had this set:

https://sunshine.rahul.net/~jaw/birdpadd.jpg

That was a good one!

There used to be an advertisement here in the Café for a wooden set that was beautiful! It was expensive, though. Gone now. Smile

Doug
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Here it is! I have never seen anything like this!

https://bergmannmagic.com/archives/909

Doug
mtgoldstein
View Profile
Veteran user
Houston, TX
325 Posts

Profile of mtgoldstein
How about Whit Hadyn's "Intricate Web of Distraction" - color changing knifes routine.
pabloinus
View Profile
Inner circle
1684 Posts

Profile of pabloinus
I did not about I'll start again, I just found it in youtube and it is a lot of fun, here is the video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIRdLCaIsyY
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5965 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Quote:
On 2012-10-28 19:36, Dougini wrote:
Ya know, I like this set:

http://wolfsmagic.com/Paddlecraft%20BLACK.htm

Cutting edge. Smile

I especially like "Bolted" for some reason. I may just get one.
arizona
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of arizona
I may have mentioned in another thread already that Pete B's bat routine written up in genii is a killer. I made my own paddle from a tongue depressor and keep the paddle and a chalk in a eye glass case. Whenever I bring it out for performance people take it as a some cheap magic trick that I'm about to bore them with. It's a gasper as a stand alone effect or in a routine. This would've been a great trick to do on Letterman's close-up week from few years back.

Another paddle effect I do is changing yellow wendy's straw into red Burger king straw using mickey d straws. Quick changes in a flash look pretty magical to laypeople in any transformation just like vanishes and productions.
Merc Man
View Profile
Inner circle
NUNEATON, Warwickshire
2545 Posts

Profile of Merc Man
Quote:
On 2012-10-31 11:23, pabloinus wrote:
I did not about I'll start again, I just found it in youtube and it is a lot of fun, here is the video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIRdLCaIsyY

Jeeeez, got to be honest. That dem wasn't only woeful, it was truly cringe-worthy.

Jimmy Rogers, Ken Brooke and Joe Riding would be spinning in their graves watching that performance.

The bloke has posted that on YouTube and, apart from murdering it, hasn't even had the courtesy to even get the bloody name of the trick right. The sad thing is that his mates at his local magic club probably think he makes a good job of it.

And we moan about youngsters killing the art of magic on YouTube?

I truly despair at times.
Barry Allen

Over 15 years have now passed - and still missing Abra Magazine arriving every Saturday morning.
comicjenius
View Profile
New user
Spartanburg, SC
33 Posts

Profile of comicjenius
Since Repro is gone via business dirtnap, did they sell rights to the Ju-Ju stick to anyone else? I had one way back in 1970-something. Haven't thought about that in a while. I loved that effect! Smile
Antony Gerard
View Profile
Veteran user
Kalamazoo, Michigan
359 Posts

Profile of Antony Gerard
A few of you mentioned Terry LaGerould's "BAFFLE BAT" paddle effect. Did you know that it was originally called the "Skedaddle Paddle" and was produced by Terry's company "IMP Magic" out of Travers City Michigan. The original Skedaddle Paddle was chrome plated to a mirror finish. Personally I liked the mirror finish more.

While I am on the subject of history, did you know that the “Paddle Move” was first described in Prevost in 1584. Very few magic effect stand the test of time, though the "Paddle Move" being 531 years old has done so.

I have had a Paddle Move effect on the market since 2009. It is titled the "Die - Paddle Prediction". From a small black translucent cloth bag, the magician removes a swizzle stick (paddle) and three black dice. The magician shows both sides of the paddle and asks the spectator to hold the paddle by his/her left hand fingertips. Next, the spectator is handed the three dice in his/her right hand and is asked to roll the three dice onto the table. The outcome of the roll is used to come up with a number.

After the spectator has added the numbers, he/she states the total. Then the magician instructs the spectator to put the paddle into the second black translucent cloth bag. The second bag contains a few dozen paper discs with a different number on each disc. Upon removal of the paddle from the bag, the paddle is found to contain one of the discs attached to it. Not just any disc but the disc that has the same number on it that the spectator freely rolled. Even though the three dice are standard dice (no gimmicks), the cloth bag is not a gimmick bag, there are no duplicate numbered discs, and the paddle is a standard swizzle stick as may be found at a nightclub, this effect works every time.

Thank you for reading
Antony Gerard
dragonash
View Profile
Veteran user
the sticks
380 Posts

Profile of dragonash
Antony, this sounds like a very solid routine and well thought-out.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On Nov 11, 2013, comicjenius wrote:
Since Repro is gone via business dirtnap, did they sell rights to the Ju-Ju stick to anyone else? I had one way back in 1970-something. Haven't thought about that in a while. I loved that effect! Smile

Yes, another magic dealer in England, Mike Danata has all the Repro Magic items and rights, but as usual in magic transfers, he is just setting on them. He says he has over 5000 to inventory, and no time to go in the warehouse and get the items out for sale.

I have the Ju-Ju Stick, and I'll Start Again jumbo version from Harry Stanley's before the rights went to Supreme and Repro Magic.

I really like both these paddle tricks as well as Jumping Gems by Ken Allen which is still available from www.tricksupply.com .
DrVG
View Profile
Loyal user
275 Posts

Profile of DrVG
Count Dracula where are you ?
I once had a chance to see an online video version of an upgraded version of Latos paddle (Dracula and the mirror)that was much entertaining but can t seem to find it back. Any lead ?
Are you familiar with these props https://www.martinsmagic.com/allmagic/cl......-rnt-ii/ ?
thanks
Brad Jeffers
View Profile
Veteran user
376 Posts

Profile of Brad Jeffers
What you will want to get is THIS from Raincloud Magic,
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2886 Posts

Profile of Bob G
A second (or third) for Daryl's trick, "Dicey Dots." A blank wand removes all the spots from a die. The spots are now on the wand, and the die is seen to have lost its spots. It was a marketed effect -- maybe hard to find now. You can see it and its explanation on Daryl's Fooler Dooler's DVD 2.
wa-na-be
View Profile
Veteran user
355 Posts

Profile of wa-na-be
There is one (Dracula paddle) to make on the magicnook.com
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
3573 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
Quote:
On May 22, 2015, Antony Gerard wrote:
A few of you mentioned Terry LaGerould's "BAFFLE BAT" paddle effect. Did you know that it was originally called the "Skedaddle Paddle" and was produced by Terry's company "IMP Magic" out of Travers City Michigan. The original Skedaddle Paddle was chrome plated to a mirror finish. Personally I liked the mirror finish more.

Antony Gerard

I have one of these (mirror finish Skedaddle Paddle) in the original plastic baggie with the yellow dots.