The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: What is best resource for Gypsy Thread routine? (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6145 Posts

Profile of motown
Here's a few more sources:

Close-up Cavalcade (Jerry Mentzer): Improved Gypsy Torn & Restored Thread by Tony Spina, p 126

The Art of Eddie Joseph (Hugh Miller): The Hindu Yarn Trick, p 208. Interesting approach using a thumb tip.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Sordini
View Profile
New user
USA
70 Posts

Profile of Sordini
Started with Norman Rhodes easier gypsy thread from Lewis Gansons art of close up magic vol 1 (p245 Motown), and the simplicity of the routine is excellent starting point.

I really would prefer a non orifice clean up. But really like the concept of ending clean. I would greatly appreciate any ditch tips, PMs or being recommended a particular version that meets this condition.

Many thanks
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3623 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
I like Daryl's clean up in World's Greatest Magic. His whole routine is very clean...

Jim
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
6145 Posts

Profile of motown
Quote:
On 2010-11-06 20:44, Sordini wrote:
Started with Norman Rhodes easier gypsy thread from Lewis Gansons art of close up magic vol 1 (p245 Motown), and the simplicity of the routine is excellent starting point.

I really would prefer a non orifice clean up. But really like the concept of ending clean. I would greatly appreciate any ditch tips, PMs or being recommended a particular version that meets this condition.

Many thanks
Sent you a PM.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Sordini
View Profile
New user
USA
70 Posts

Profile of Sordini
Thank you Mystoffelees, and a huge thanks to Motown
baobow
View Profile
Special user
514 Posts

Profile of baobow
Lonnie Chevrie has a very practicial gypsy thread routine using dental floss called STRING 'EM UP. Very very practical
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
The original poster has not chimed back in, so I will mention that I read the original post inquiring about a routine and/presentation. So far everyone has listed a lot of method references, but no comments to the actual presentation of the trick.

How about a few comments about good presentations from these references. I have collected about 5 different methods and there is not much difference in the preparation of the thread.

Of the 2 presentations I have seen in my magic life at conventions, the late Billy McComb performed this trick on stage while sitting on a stool, with a 10 minute patter story about something. I have seen him at least 3 times and I still do not know what he was saying, but it had nothing to do with the act of breaking thread. Another young performer that came from Europe, Germany I think, presented the trick as a close-up trick at the close-up shows. He did not have any outstanding patter besides the discription of what he was doing.

I think the success of the trick lies in the patter story more then the breaking and restoration of the thread. Do any of the current videos have any good routines/presentations on them? That make you say, I want to do that trick and will use his ideas on presentation.

Thanks for your comments in advance.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Have you ever seen Ricky Jay's routine? Again, the METHOD IS NOT THE TRICK
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
6145 Posts

Profile of motown
Quote:
On 2010-11-11 10:25, Pete Biro wrote:
Have you ever seen Ricky Jay's routine? Again, the METHOD IS NOT THE TRICK
Never seen Ricky's performance, but I'm sure it's worth it.
– Karl Germain
tpearman
View Profile
New user
Los Angeles
53 Posts

Profile of tpearman
I really enjoy Eugene Burger's performance of this effect.
inaciolino
View Profile
Veteran user
369 Posts

Profile of inaciolino
Eugene Burger's preformance is really awsome. I love Daryl's touch in this effect but Dragon thread is the most amazing Gypsy Thread routine ever.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
While checking on another item, I ran across this item, gypsy Gypsy Thread - Glo Thread, $7.50 each.
http://www.daytonamagic.com/products/GYP......ILL.html
Ken Abbott
View Profile
New user
100 Posts

Profile of Ken Abbott
There are several different types of dental floss. Many are very difficult to roll up with your fingers. Some are too flat or wide or stiff. Does anyone have a brand that works well?
nonvpro
View Profile
Inner circle
1844 Posts

Profile of nonvpro
Ken,

Check this out. I have been performing Gypsy Thread for years. This works perfect from my experience. Again, we need to thank Don Knox here at the Café for finding this thread. Without his effort, this might have not been found. Again, thanks Don for the original posting.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=4&8
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
6145 Posts

Profile of motown
Quote:
On 2010-11-11 05:48, wmhegbli wrote:
The original poster has not chimed back in, so I will mention that I read the original post inquiring about a routine and/presentation. So far everyone has listed a lot of method references, but no comments to the actual presentation of the trick.

Thanks for your comments in advance.
Some of the presentations I think are outstanding include Shawn Farquhar (see you tube), Eugene Burger and Arthur Tivoli. All three use a story in their presentations. All are excellent.
– Karl Germain
nonvpro
View Profile
Inner circle
1844 Posts

Profile of nonvpro
Link for Shawn?
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
6145 Posts

Profile of motown
Look up Thread of life, Shawn Farquhar
– Karl Germain
nonvpro
View Profile
Inner circle
1844 Posts

Profile of nonvpro
Motown, thanks for the link. Perfect!!!
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
6145 Posts

Profile of motown
Let me know what you think.
– Karl Germain
AndrewJ
View Profile
New user
Travis County, TX
70 Posts

Profile of AndrewJ
Quote:
On 2010-01-06 22:15, djkuttdecks wrote:
I think I recall seeing a basic video lesson on Theory11.com for like 5 bucks. But it will teach you the basic routine if you just need a quick place to start.
-Lee
I know this is about a year late, but the one on Theory11 was taught by Dan Sperry -- the same guy who caused a few stirs from America's Got Talent.

I also wanted to bring it up because the version taught there is silent, where people here have been discussing patter. However, the teaching utilizes silence to illustrate other aspects of performance: Slow down, don't rush, be graceful. Things that you sometimes run opposite to the younger scene. It runs about 28 minutes and does give some credits - including Eugene Burger and Billy McComb.

I have been lucky enough to see Eugene Burger's absolutely beautiful presentation in person. Yet, the Theory11 video is the only instruction I have on this particular effect. I did want to offer what I know if it would help someone else make a good comparison.