The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: Paddle tricks (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
jove
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of jove
My favorite is a paddle I bought from Hocus Pocus a few years ago. It has a red, yellow, and green dot to resemble a traffic light. I can't find it anywhere, but the effect is the same as the Meteor Paddle.(http://www.elmwoodmagic.com/full/Close-Up-Meteor-Paddle-Brian-Geer__734.htm)
MagicD48
View Profile
New user
93 Posts

Profile of MagicD48
Quote:
On 2010-06-11 06:33, Andy Charlton wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-06-10 19:30, randirain wrote:
I was told of one with Dracula on it that was made ages ago, so I made one myself.

The routine...

You show a coffin shaped paddle that has Dracula on both sides.
Then you pull out a small mirror, hold it underneath the paddle, and show how vampires don't cast a reflection.
(HUH? pretty awesome!)
Then you pull out a small steak that sticks through a hole in Dracula.
Then he vanishes.

Great paddle trick!!

Randi

Now THAT is brilliant!

Andy

Have to agree, and combine it with shattered by wolfs magic that was mentioned somewhere too and you have a really nice routine.
escherwolf
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of escherwolf
I used to do the Dracula paddle routine that Randi is talking about. I Believe it was a Doug Bennet product (going off my hazy memory of the eighties). I also used to do his Business Merger trick.
Bobcatmagic
View Profile
New user
UK
31 Posts

Profile of Bobcatmagic
I read Paul's Pygmy paddle in the magic menu and loved it. I found it hard to source the props though and then saw the parrot paddles for sale (with parrots and cages on. Sorry I don't know who markets these I got them from a dealer). I took inspiration from Paul's patter and applied it to the problems the Pygmys of Papau New Guinea have with pesky parrots perching on their paddles. This is a regular in my working repertoire that takes up very little pocket space, is enjoyed by all ages and fun to perform. Thanks Paul, I hope you don't mind the variation your idea inspired.
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
Randi, thanks for the memory. That's a great paddle trick, and as escherwolf says, it sounds like a Doug Bennett idea. Can you imagine it with a Twilight update?

Just wanted to also put in a word for my "Jumping Gems" routine, done with dangly earrings. Obviously, that's my favorite. So, word.
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
Bendy
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
518 Posts

Profile of Bendy
Had to revisit this older thread to suggest Chad Long's "FLASH." It's like color-changing knives, but with USB flash drives. Works like a dream, you can carry it anywhere and it's relevant in today's world. I wrote my own patter for the trick, but what Chad has in the instructions works well. Highly recommended!
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
In search of Vlad Dracul and his
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
Nobody seems to have mentioned a favorite of mine from Rene Lavand: Los Palitos. If I am not mistaken, it is a variation on Jumping Gems but it is very well routined and well played, and it is one I use constantly. I also have Number Two Pencil from Mark Jenest - that was the very first paddle effect I ever bought, followed by Hot Rods of various designs and materials.

@Randi: I remember that Dracula paddle and I love your idea!
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
I just remembered another one that I picked up a long time ago and I have no idea what the name of it is, or to whom it belongs. The effect is this:

The performer shows a paddle that looks like a little wooden stake, which has a single black dot on the wide end. Asking the audience if they know what it is, the performer shows to have a single spot on the other side as well, explaining that it is a vampire detector. Some may prefer The Detector of the Living Dead...If someone has been bitten by a vampire and the paddle comes near their neck, then two spots will show up on the end. After testing each spectator very carefully and finding no vampires among them, the performer strokes his chin thoughtfully, then proceeds to raise the paddle to his own neck, where two spots have appeared. Further, when he smiles, he is seen to have vampire teeth in his mouth!

This is a great little effect that I use for Halloween and on a couple of occasions, I have used this just about every other time of year in cities like New Orleans. When played right, it can be comedic or it can be used as a bizarre bit - which requires some great scripting, acting and storytelling, which is my favorite way to do it...
Jeff Dial
View Profile
Special user
Kent, WA
533 Posts

Profile of Jeff Dial
Doctor,

That is from Mike Close. It was (and still is I assume) in the Workers books and sold separately.
"Think our brains must be too highly trained, Majikthise" HHGG
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
Thank you Jeff! I knew who it was - way down in the dark of the brain basement - but I could not remember for the life of me. I do not have the Workers books but I have seen it in there - I purchased it separately. The name of it just came back to me - Down For the Count.
digiassn
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of digiassn
Chris Ballinger's Permanent has served me very well. Not strong as a standalone routine, but working it as introduction effect to anything that uses a Sharpie has gotten some really great reactions. Baffle Bat and Color Changing Knives are still my favorite though.
Erwin
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of Erwin
I'm on a bit of a paddle frenzy at the minute, and this thread has introduced me to the Baffle Bat. It's now next on my shopping list. Thank you!
I've always loved the Hot Rod but I don't use the horrible colour force because I like my paddle routines to be repeatable; but more importantly to end examinable. I'm awaiting delivery of John Kennedy's Dream Paddle right now, was hoping to see it mentioned in this thread, but oh well...
AngeloR
View Profile
Elite user
441 Posts

Profile of AngeloR
Daryl had a routine I believe he called "Dicey Dots". It shows up on his Millenium Tour video. It looks like it would be fun to perform. I thought it was a marketed effect, but I have looked and can't find it. Any suggestions as to a source?
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5965 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Quote:
On 2011-08-20 14:30, AngeloR wrote:
Daryl had a routine I believe he called "Dicey Dots". It shows up on his Millenium Tour video. It looks like it would be fun to perform. I thought it was a marketed effect, but I have looked and can't find it. Any suggestions as to a source?

Ask Daryl: magic@foolerdoolers.com
MagicD48
View Profile
New user
93 Posts

Profile of MagicD48
Can anyone tell me where I can locate that drakula paddle mentioned earlier and shattered? Preferably uk vendors. Thanks all Smile

Edit... its called drakulas coffin and is available for $5 from magicnook.com.

It has slightly more to the routine too. Place him back into the coffin then really open the lid and he is gone.
AngeloR
View Profile
Elite user
441 Posts

Profile of AngeloR
Alan: Thanks for the contact info. I will contact Daryl.
8a22a
View Profile
Regular user
Yorkshire, UK
157 Posts

Profile of 8a22a
Money Paddle is nice.

http://youtu.be/F_l9nebAc7s
Mark Williams
View Profile
Special user
Las Vegas, Nevada
513 Posts

Profile of Mark Williams
Quote:
On 2010-06-10 19:30, randirain wrote:
I was told of one with Dracula on it that was made ages ago, so I made one myself.

The routine...

You show a coffin shaped paddle that has Dracula on both sides.
Then you pull out a small mirror, hold it underneath the paddle, and show how vampires don't cast a reflection.
(HUH? pretty awesome!)
Then you pull out a small steak that sticks through a hole in Dracula.
Then he vanishes.

Great paddle trick!!

Randi

That's Vampire by Doug Bennett. I just recently put up my performance on youtube. It's better if you select the Full Screen option:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QL3CUT6rKo

Best Magical Regards,

Mark Williams
"Once is Magic!! Twice is an Education!!"
randirain
View Profile
Inner circle
Fort Worth, TX
1653 Posts

Profile of randirain
Yes... That was two years ago that I wrote that.

Since then, I have got permission from Doug to make the Vampire Paddles.
Mine are different though.

Randi
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6146 Posts

Profile of motown
Panel has a very creative paddle routine on his DVD set.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain