The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: Favorite rubberband tricks! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
mithrius
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago, IL
127 Posts

Profile of mithrius
Dynamike, I think the original post asked for effects other than CMH. That one's pretty high on everyone's list, I think.
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3176 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
I like the "band over band" effect from one of Dan Harlan's videos. He attributes it to a guy from New Jersey whose name I forget. And I also forget which video it is on.

But a single band is stetched between the two hands and the hands are turned in opposited directions so there is one side of the band on top, and the other side under it. If the hand is twisted, the middle of one band contacts the middle of the other band. And suddenly it penetrates and the band that was on top is on the bottom now!

You can have a spectator hold on to the top band and "wham" they are now holding the bottom band.

It is a nice break from CMH - which I love... but some poeple have seen it before, so I throw this one in.

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
mugician51
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of mugician51
My favorites are -

Traveling Tips
Snapped Again
Bandlocked- I know it's simple, but Harlan's presentation of the classic really fools people.
Joint Venture
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17428 Posts

Profile of joseph
I like:
Star Gazer
Missing link
Linked 4 Life
Smile
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
skc417
View Profile
Loyal user
australia
226 Posts

Profile of skc417
The band over band described by BroDavid is called twisted I believe, and it's on the bandshark video.

Simon
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
5211 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
Pinnacle
Crazy Man's Handcuff
Broken & Restored Rubberband
Travelling Cash
Climbing Ring on Rubber Band

Mats G. Kjellstrom
http://www.mastermagic.info
D J Hawkins
View Profile
Veteran user
Reading, UK
350 Posts

Profile of D J Hawkins
Crazy Mans Handcuffs followed by Snapped (broken and restored band) is the perfect one-on-one effect for strolling.
David Hawkins

djhawkins2014@gmail.com
MikeJRogers
View Profile
Veteran user
Australia
354 Posts

Profile of MikeJRogers
To tell you the truth I don't know 3 rubber band effects - but I've definately seen more than three. However the one I like best which I can actually perform is none other than:

- - Pinnacle - - so cool!!!

Mike JRogers Smile
Mike Rogers Illusion Design - Australia - http://www.mikerogers.com.au
"Nothings impossible, the impossible just takes longer" - Dan Brown novel
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Decker
View Profile
Loyal user
Hades
211 Posts

Profile of Decker
1) Missing Link
2) CMH
3) Pinnacle with Aronson's Ringleader finale

I thought it might be interesting to show a tally.

8 Travlin Cash
8 Missing Link
7 Star Gazer
6 Pinnacle
5 Broken & Restored Band
5 The Joining
4 Ring Leader
3 Linked 4 Life
3 Climbing Ring
2 Ebony & Ivory
2 Really Linked
2 Snapped Again
1 Double Jumpin Bands
1 Weber's linking bands
1 Power Link
1 Snaky Handcuffs
1 Slydini's routine
1 Bandorama
1 Band Through Thumb
1 Ring Off Rubber band
1 Traveling Tips
1 Bandlocked
1 Joint Venture

Keep in mind that this is just what people use, it doesn't mean that they are the best. I omitted CMH because the original poster asked us to leave it out. Even I couldn't actually NOT mention CMH but I leave it out of the tally.
"He had alot to say... He had alot of nothing to say..." --MJK
MagicMan1957
View Profile
Inner circle
1445 Posts

Profile of MagicMan1957
Well I've finally seen Chris Kenner's Missing Link trick performed and taught on Dan Harlan's Rubberband Video #2.

very, very nice BUT, I do the exact same thing with Jeff Pierce's The Joining trick
using a ring OR rubberband.

The set up is MUCH faster and easier to do and the band release at the end is more logical I feel.

Anyone else think this way?
Jeff
View Profile
Inner circle
Orlando, FL
1238 Posts

Profile of Jeff
Check out "The Joining" a ring and rubberband link that would make a perfect replacement for the last phase in Pinnacle.

http://www.members.aol.com/pierce603/magic.html

Thanks
Jeff PIerce
Available for order now:
http://www.thecardwarptour.com

See new, used, and collectable magic and books for sale at:
http://www.jeffpiercemagic.com
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Pinnacle
Nikos
View Profile
Regular user
115 Posts

Profile of Nikos
Without a doubt, CMH.
But I may add Pinnacle to my repertoire if I ever get around to purchasing it.
I have a manuscript for Linking Ring but haven’t put the time in to master it yet.
DoctorAmazo
View Profile
Special user
Florida
643 Posts

Profile of DoctorAmazo
I will break from the chorus here and boldly say that I HATE Crazy Man's Handcuffs!

Why? Because it's just half an effect. If you could really pass rubber thru rubber, wouldn't you logically do it both ways? Unlinking AND linking?

There are several effects out there that go both ways, all different handlings of the same basic method. Slydini's "Linking Bands" is one example. Any of them are a better show than the over-rated unlink-only CMH, in my opinion.
Bill Hallahan
View Profile
Inner circle
New Hampshire
3229 Posts

Profile of Bill Hallahan
CMH is my favorite.

Next is the broken and restored rubber band.

When I first saw CMH, I was so amazed by the effect, which was repeated three times (the Ammar routine) that I had to learn it. I bought the book, "The Magic of Michael Ammar."

I get reactions of astonishment when I do the CMH. I don’t think anyone typically thinks that the bands should link just because they unlink. I never thought that. No one in my family who saw this performed thought it. I have discussed this trick with other magicians, and while they thought being able to link the bands is worthwhile, they don't feel it is necessary in all presentations.

An analogy would be to say that Houdini’s trunk escapes were incomplete because he didn’t magically get back in the trunk at the end.

There is nothing wrong with linking and unlinking the bands. It is all a matter of presentation.

If the CMH is presented as an escape analogy, then linking the bands is superfluous.
Humans make life so interesting. Do you know that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to create boredom. Quite astonishing.
- The character of ‘Death’ in the movie "Hogswatch"
wally
View Profile
Inner circle
1831 Posts

Profile of wally
Which broken and restored rubberband should I get for walkaround / close up.