The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: Pearl Poodle (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
ropeadope
View Profile
Elite user
Mississippi
453 Posts

Profile of ropeadope
I guess you are aware kevinjanet that this post ended over 3 years ago? You must have really gone back in the posts to look for pearl poodles.
Anyway, since you revived it, for anyone still interested in these type of tricks I would like to recommend the late Bruce Posgate`s little spiral bound book; NECKLACE TRICKERY. Copyright 1982, if you can find it. It doesn't have pearl poodle descriptions or other shapes, but has a large amount of things you can do with beads and bangles concernng linking, unlinkng, penetrations and complete routines.I met Bruce at the 1971 IBM convention and he was such a likable and fun guy. ;>)

Also your timing of your beads post is excellent. I live in New Orleans and Mobile,Al. Mardi Gras territory and beads is a topical subject this time of the year,especially this year, because Mardi Gras season starts early this coming year, in late January. And if anyone who has not enjoyed this carnival party atmosphere and likes to party should not miss it. Mombo, mombo, mombo............

Thanks for the bead link, looks like a great source. And Merry Christmas & Happy New Year!

John
Nothing is better than more.
kevinjanet
View Profile
New user
23 Posts

Profile of kevinjanet
I know it's an old topic but I have had trouble all year since Jo-ann fabrics stopped carrying their pearls. I tried other suppliers but got pearls that were too brittle or otherwise unsuitable. So now, if anybody searches for Peal Poodles on the Café, at least they will get a current supplier.

Ps the "Necklace trickery" book sounds good hope I can find it!
dedikc
View Profile
Veteran user
France (Lyon)
344 Posts

Profile of dedikc
The search fonction is made to make this old thread alive, isn't it?
H2Odesign
View Profile
Regular user
the Armpit of the Panhandle
193 Posts

Profile of H2Odesign
Quote:
On 2009-12-18 18:37, dedikc wrote:
The search fonction is made to make this old thread alive, isn't it?

Indeed it has!
Quote:
On 2009-12-17 11:40, kevinjanet wrote:
NEWS: I just found a new supplier
http://factorydirectcraft.com/catalog/pr......eet.html

The pearls twist well and they come in lots of colors!

Unfortunately, this link only gives access to pearls on string, but not wired beads as the entire book of recently published Zoo Magic would lead to believe are available. I have searched all local craft stores and the internet, but to no avail.

Perhaps someone has found a source for them that I'm not aware of.

Short of calling the "former" manufacturer (admittedly something I've yet to do), all that's left is to make my own. The lack of availability of the wired pearls renders the above book useful only for one-up models.
Larry
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
When I buy beads I buy a lot. I'm running out of them, and you guys are starting to scare me. I'm going out this weekend to find a fabric store that still sells these beads, and I will report back later to tell you what I found.

I am used to having a line of little girls waiting for their poodle. This is very disappointing news to hear.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Trekdad
View Profile
Elite user
Telford, PA
445 Posts

Profile of Trekdad
Al -- you showed me this once, and I immediately went to Walmart and stocked up on all of their reels of the correct size. (I just couldn't find quality ones that didn't crack at Joanne's). I went back to WM last week, and they still have plenty of stock (at least in the Harleysville store).

Quote:
On 2010-07-09 13:04, Al Angello wrote:
When I buy beads I buy a lot. I'm running out of them, and you guys are starting to scare me. I'm going out this weekend to find a fabric store that still sells these beads, and I will report back later to tell you what I found.

I am used to having a line of little girls waiting for their poodle. This is very disappointing news to hear.
Barnhardt: You have tested this theory?
Klaatu: I find it works well enough to get me from one planet to the next.
The Day the Earth Stood Still
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Trekdan thank you
Walmart Harleysville, Pa. is about 8 miles away from my house, so I will be starting my quest there tomorrow. Usually they can't believe it that I want to buy a whole reel of beads, and you bought all of their reels. LOL
that's too funny
H2Odesign
View Profile
Regular user
193 Posts

Profile of H2Odesign
Quote:
On 2010-07-09 15:59, Trekdad wrote:
I immediately went to Walmart and stocked up on all of their reels of the correct size. (I just couldn't find quality ones that didn't crack at Joanne's). I went back to WM last week, and they still have plenty of stock (at least in the Harleysville store).

Trekdad:
Just to be sure, would that be the wired beads? What brand does WMart carry?

The WMart in my neighborhood closed out their fabric section several years ago, but their is another one on my town's periphery.
Thanks for the help
Larry
Trekdad
View Profile
Elite user
Telford, PA
445 Posts

Profile of Trekdad
Well, when you refer to wired, I assume it's the "stringed" beads. So, yes, these are the beads on string/thread in large lengths that you cut up into the correct segments.

Quote:
On 2010-07-09 19:37, H2Odesign wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-07-09 15:59, Trekdad wrote:
I immediately went to Walmart and stocked up on all of their reels of the correct size. (I just couldn't find quality ones that didn't crack at Joanne's). I went back to WM last week, and they still have plenty of stock (at least in the Harleysville store).

Trekdad:
Just to be sure, would that be the wired beads? What brand does WMart carry?

The WMart in my neighborhood closed out their fabric section several years ago, but their is another one on my town's periphery.
Thanks for the help
Larry
Trekdad
View Profile
Elite user
Telford, PA
445 Posts

Profile of Trekdad
The Walmart Brand is "Wrights", "Creative Classics", fused pearls #2898521030
H2Odesign
View Profile
Regular user
193 Posts

Profile of H2Odesign
Quote:
On 2010-07-11 09:44, Trekdad wrote:
Well, when you refer to wired, I assume it's the "stringed" beads. So, yes, these are the beads on string/thread in large lengths that you cut up into the correct segments.
Perhaps I've caused a little confusion.
In Neale's Zoo Magic, he uses beads strung on a wire that are then posable. Such as the Gumby in my cat's toy box.

These bead strands on wire allow for a greater variety of shapes, as the wire simulates the air pressure in balloons.
Traditionally, these strands were used for decorating, but are now nowhere to be found (or my online search skills needed improvement).

Maybe still these are the beads you found at WMart?
Thanks again,
Larry

PS
Quote:
On 2006-08-12 00:27, magicbern wrote:
Gallagher's routine was mentioned - but I was wrong. For those who are interested in this routine (a combo of Poodle and Glorpy) it can be found in his DVD 'Miracles from the Sock Drawer'. A GREAT DVD covered in other posts here on the forum.

I really liked Gallagher's idea on the extra bead for the poodle dropping. Quite original!
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
H2Odesign
The pearl poodle is made with beads that are strung on a string. I have never seen, or heard of beads on a wire before.
H2Odesign
View Profile
Regular user
193 Posts

Profile of H2Odesign
Quote:
On 2010-07-11 12:47, Al Angello wrote:
H2Odesign
The pearl poodle is made with beads that are strung on a string. I have never seen, or heard of beads on a wire before.

I've been making poodles from string pearl strands, but the above mentioned book by
Robert E. Neale, Zoo Magic, has a fresh take on this method.
Al, I believe you have this book.
I was just referring to the much earlier hits on this thread. But I guess I should have followed the recommendations.
This book was disappointing; normally I have high expectations from Neale. He is a great creative thinker; and I did expect more from this book.

By the way Al, did you figure out the pearl snowflake? Is it just a star?
Larry
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Larry
I have the zoo magic book, and I was disappointed with it too.

The snowflake is taught in the mardi gras bead book, I have that book, and I was not impressed with it either.

What I have found useful is rudolph the red nose reindeer during the Christmas season.
H2Odesign
View Profile
Regular user
193 Posts

Profile of H2Odesign
Thanks Al,
Perhaps I can find the Mardi Gras book in the state library.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Boynton Beach, FL
5270 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
This is an old thread, but I just wanted to let everyone know who’s interested that I finally found a source for strung, plastic pearls that work perfectly for making a poodle!

I’ve been looking since 2006, and I’ve spent way too much money on pearls that didn’t end up working because they were strung too close together, causing the string to break when you perform the twists. This new product is 65 feet (20 meters) of strung pearls for less than $13, and they work perfectly! They are, though, strung a little further apart than the pearls that I used in my Scripted Insanity DVDs, so I just perform each twist twice instead of once with this new product.

PM me if you’re interested in the source.

Larry
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1974 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
One of the last living 10-in-one performers. I wanted to be in show business the worst way, and that was it.
AndyMo805
View Profile
New user
San Luis Obispo, CA
43 Posts

Profile of AndyMo805
Amazing how a quick search can revive a Great thread! Thanks guys! Larry Davidson... in posts from way back you mentioned a DVD. Is it still available? Download? Thanks!
bluesmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
257 Posts

Profile of bluesmagic
I found a way to make 2 kissing poodles with a string of 34 beads. It's a nice one. To make it just do as usual with 17 beads but do it 2 times in a row and at the end make the heads face one towards the other (just twisting them in place). Smile