The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: Black's Magic PK Ring (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
tbaer
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania
2006 Posts

Profile of tbaer
Mindcontroller, I think the medium size is around an 11-12. I don't have the new PK style ring, but I do have the first PK ring that came out and the medium size was about a size or two, too big, so I returned it for the small size. My ring size is a 10.

Snidini, I took your advice and just ordered a Black's magnetic ring from Stevens Magic Emporium.
Snidini
View Profile
Special user
776 Posts

Profile of Snidini
Tbaer, keep us posted with your thoughts about your new purchase when you receive it. I don't think you'll be dissapointed and it's uses are endless.

Snidini
magicmerlz
View Profile
Loyal user
243 Posts

Profile of magicmerlz
Hi Folks

I have recently purchased the Wizard PK ring and I must say that I am very pleased with it and cannot praise the team at 'World Magic Shop' enough for their excellent service. I needed to exchange mine a couple of times due to size issues and it wasn't a problem a new one was sent at every request no questions asked - excellent A1 service (a rarity these days). I am interested in the Blacks ring as well though, and if there was a UK supplier I would purchase one. Unfortunately as previous posters have said it could become an expensive purchase sending incorrect sizes back and forth to the States, so I shall stick with my Wizard PK and wait for someone to ship a load over from Blacks.

Regards to all

Merlz
Shaner316
View Profile
Loyal user
St. Catharines, ON. Canada
213 Posts

Profile of Shaner316
I have had my BLACK'S ring for only a few weeks and I have to say it is great!!

I was origionally looking for a nice coin in bottle routine and had purchased Abyss a while ago and was not fussy with the handling.

The BLACK'S ring makes it so simple and takes away a few of the funny moves that I did not like. I have been performing the coin in bottle with this ring every chance I get and it always gets a great reaction!

I unfortunately connot compare it to the wizards pk ring as I have never owned one, but I love my BLACK's so much, I don't even think I need to spend the money to try and compare them
tbaer
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania
2006 Posts

Profile of tbaer
Once I get Black's ring, I'll post a comparison/differences between the 2 types of rings.
DerekMerdinyan
View Profile
Inner circle
1030 Posts

Profile of DerekMerdinyan
Mine arrived... broken. Now I get to pay to pack/ ship it back. I also received the wrong size.

I'd heard about using the ring to perform a 'shadow coin' type effect, but the ring isn't nearly strong enough to move the coin from a reasonable distance. Any ideas?

Derek Merdinyan
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2351 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Anyone who owns the Black's PK Ring have you been able to use it for a "Chop Cup" routine using a paper cup ? Is it strong enough to hold on to a shimmed ball (a regular crocheted chop cup ball or an impromptu wadded up napkin with a paperclip inside or something like that ? ) The ungimmicked paper cup version of the Chop Cup was one of the original ideas that sold the Omega Ring when it first came out .
Can the Black's PK Ring do this sort of thing ?
tbaer
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania
2006 Posts

Profile of tbaer
I should be receiving mine any day now.
Bill Lhotta
View Profile
Veteran user
on top of a 14000' mountain in Colorado
357 Posts

Profile of Bill Lhotta
Hi David,

Yes, the Black's Magic Ring can definitely work for a Chop Cup routine using a paper cup and a crocheted chop cup ball. I tested it using my ring and the only Chop Cup move you probably won't be able to do is where you slide your hand with the ring, down and off the cup taking the shimmed ball with it as you show the cup is really empty with the other hand. The magnet isn't strong enough to get it over the lip of the cup without the ball falling off.

As a side note, I pretty impressed with the Black's Magic Ring. They have sizes available in half sizes so you can actually get a ring that fits your finger, and the silver version I have looks like a real wedding band. And the price is right.

I've got a PK Wizard (new style) coming and I plan to compare the strength of it against the Black's ring along side the new Omega style ring and also my trusty old MasteRing from years ago. I'll post back the results soon.

Cheers!

** Bill **

Quote:
On 2006-08-20 21:33, David Todd wrote:
Anyone who owns the Black's PK Ring have you been able to use it for a "Chop Cup" routine using a paper cup ? Is it strong enough to hold on to a shimmed ball (a regular crocheted chop cup ball or an impromptu wadded up napkin with a paperclip inside or something like that ? ) The ungimmicked paper cup version of the Chop Cup was one of the original ideas that sold the Omega Ring when it first came out .
Can the Black's PK Ring do this sort of thing ?
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2351 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Quote:
On 2006-08-23 13:59, Lhotta wrote:
Yes, the Black's Magic Ring can definitely work for a Chop Cup routine using a paper cup and a crocheted chop cup ball.

Cheers!

** Bill **

Bill,

Thanks for the info. on the Black's PK ring. I actually had an opportunity to speak with a friend who has one after I had posted my inquiry and he answered in the affirmative , basically saying what you said , so I ordered it later that night after I posted my question on this forum. It came today (!) a mere two days after I ordered it. Great shipping service from Black's Magic ! The ring looks really good , a very close match for my normal wedding band , which I had hoped for based on the photos of the Black's ring I had seen on the internet . It seems quite strong enough for the "ungimmicked" Chop Cup with paper cup and I'm looking forward to trying it out with other effects.

I have a general question about storage and usage , re: the powerful magnetic field around the ring . I know that in general it is necessary to keep credit cards and other magnetic media away from a powerful magnet , but does anyone know what the "safe" range is for the Black's PK Ring ? Obviously , I shouldn't pick up a credit card or cassette tape in the same hand that is wearing the PK Ring , but how far away is safe enough ? Are we talking 1 ft. away ? 2ft. ? or more ?

I'm curious how you guys who own one store it in your prop case between shows ?
tbaer
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania
2006 Posts

Profile of tbaer
Lhotta, when you post the comparisons of strength with Black's against the new style PK wizard, can you let us know how the new style PK wizard looks on your finger. I should be receiving my Blacks in the mail tomorrow or Friday. I already have the PK wizard old style which is wider than a normal wedding ring.
Bill Lhotta
View Profile
Veteran user
357 Posts

Profile of Bill Lhotta
Sure no problem, I'll post a link in this thread to the comparison thread I plan to start when I receive the PK Wizard (new style band).

Cheers!

** Bill **

Quote:
On 2006-08-23 21:14, tbaer wrote:
Lhotta, when you post the comparisons of strength with Black's against the new style PK wizard, can you let us know how the new style PK wizard looks on your finger. I should be receiving my Blacks in the mail tomorrow or Friday. I already have the PK wizard old style which is wider than a normal wedding ring.
Bill Lhotta
View Profile
Veteran user
357 Posts

Profile of Bill Lhotta
Hi David,

That's a good question, and I would guess the safe distance would be related to the strength of the magnet. A cursory search on the web shows many different recommended "safe distances". The weaker magnets seem to have a safe distance of 3-5 inches while the stronger neodymium rare earth magnets have safe distances of 20-30 inches.

You could always take your favorite ATM card and do a test with your Black's ring. Just head down to an ATM, verify your card is working, and then start with a distance of 30" and slowly decrease this distance a couple of inches at a time until your card no longer works! Of course you will need to get a replacement ATM card but it would be an interesting experiment!

I would also caution you if your ATM card deactivates at 4 inches it would not be safe to assume other magnetic media (computer disks, etc) would be safe at this distance as they may be more sensitive, but at least it would give you a general ball park.

Cheers!

** Bill **

Quote:
On 2006-08-23 20:37, David Todd wrote:

... I have a general question about storage and usage , re: the powerful magnetic field around the ring . I know that in general it is necessary to keep credit cards and other magnetic media away from a powerful magnet , but does anyone know what the "safe" range is for the Black's PK Ring ? Obviously , I shouldn't pick up a credit card or cassette tape in the same hand that is wearing the PK Ring , but how far away is safe enough ? Are we talking 1 ft. away ? 2ft. ? or more ?

solidoak
View Profile
Loyal user
201 Posts

Profile of solidoak
Just got my "Blacks" ring from Stevens Magic... I like this soooo much more than my PK Wizard. Works just as good and looks (and feels) far better.
Rick
tbaer
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania
2006 Posts

Profile of tbaer
Just received my Black's ring from Stevens Magic Emporium. I found both Black's and the PK Wizard to be about equal in strength. If one is actually stronger than the other, I couldn't tell.

The only difference to me is in the looks. Black's definitely is the better looking ring.

Unfortunately when comparing strength's, my Black's broke in half. So as far as durability, I would have to say the Wizard ring wins unless I got a bad ring. Did anyone elses break? I am going to call Steven Magic Emporium and see if I can get a replacement.

I had the Black's on a stronger magnet, when I pulled it off the magnet, half of the ring stayed on the magnet.
jclark
View Profile
Special user
510 Posts

Profile of jclark
DerekMerdinyan: Did you get it from us? We never charge if it breaks in transit, which is rare but has happened (I think) twice.

tbaer: There is no question that the Wizard PK ring's shape (flat) allows for this kind of field, but this is the first time I've heard of it breaking like that. Very strange. Out of thousands sold, there are bound to be bad apples, so to speak. It is too bad that it broke, but it is an N40 so that can happen I suppose. My guess is that it may have been fractured in transit; if they are not packaged right or if they get slammed, they will indeed break. Let me know how the replacement thing works out with Stevens. If you get no joy, let me know and I will take care of it for you. That's a promise!

James

Posted: Aug 28, 2006 1:20pm
------------------------------------------
Sizes, sizes, sizes

We are now tooling up to size 16!

Right now we have up to 14 in stock...

James
tbaer
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania
2006 Posts

Profile of tbaer
Quote:
On 2006-08-28 13:18, jclark wrote:
DerekMerdinyan: Did you get it from us? We never charge if it breaks in transit, which is rare but has happened (I think) twice.

tbaer: There is no question that the Wizard PK ring's shape (flat) allows for this kind of field, but this is the first time I've heard of it breaking like that. Very strange. Out of thousands sold, there are bound to be bad apples, so to speak. It is too bad that it broke, but it is an N40 so that can happen I suppose. My guess is that it may have been fractured in transit; if they are not packaged right or if they get slammed, they will indeed break. Let me know how the replacement thing works out with Stevens. If you get no joy, let me know and I will take care of it for you. That's a promise!

James

James, thanks for the generous offer. That tells me you really stand behind your product. Stevens Magic Emporium said they will replace it. I just recently mailed it back to them, so I probably won't receive the replacement for a few days. Tom
jclark
View Profile
Special user
510 Posts

Profile of jclark
No problem! Let me know how it comes out.
James
tbaer
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania
2006 Posts

Profile of tbaer
Quote:
On 2006-08-30 18:54, jclark wrote:
No problem! Let me know how it comes out.
James

ok
Bill Lhotta
View Profile
Veteran user
357 Posts

Profile of Bill Lhotta
Quote:
On 2006-08-24 09:29, Lhotta wrote:

That's a good question, and I would guess the safe distance would be related to the strength of the magnet. A cursory search on the web shows many different recommended "safe distances". The weaker magnets seem to have a safe distance of 3-5 inches while the stronger neodymium rare earth magnets have safe distances of 20-30 inches.

You could always take your favorite ATM card and do a test with your Black's ring. Just head down to an ATM, verify your card is working, and then start with a distance of 30" and slowly decrease this distance a couple of inches at a time until your card no longer works! Of course you will need to get a replacement ATM card but it would be an interesting experiment!

OK, so I tried my little ATM card experiment with an old Visa card I was about to retire and here are the results.

My Black's Ring had absolutely no effect on the credit card until I directly rubbed it against the magnetic strip. Even then, although the card did not work outside at the gas pump, it did work when I brought it inside the store and the clerk swiped it there.

Even at only half an inch away from the magnetic strip the ring seemed to have no negative effects on my credit card and it still worked at the gas pump without a problem.

While this was no formal test, it does show we may not have to be as overly cautious as was first thought. Trying to maintain a distance of 20"-30" at all times is not practical and probably not necessary.

Cheers!

** Bill **