The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: Ring-And-String Routine (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Profile of Werner G. Seitz
Quote:
On 2004-11-05 13:02, Bill Palmer wrote:
The Jim Ryan Ring, Rope and Stick routine is one of the best I have ever seen. It's in Jerry Mentzer's magic with finger rings book.

Basically, here's what happens. You are facing a pair of spectators. You borrow a finger ring from one of them. You tie it onto a shoelace, string or rope. Each of them takes one end of the rope in one hand, whichever hand is closer to you as they face one another. You have a wand or stick under your left arm. You take the wand in your right hand and have them hold the ends of the wand with their free hand. At this point, the setup is -- Spectators are holding ends of rope and ends of wand. Your left hand is around the knotted ring, your right around center of wand.

You pull on the center of the rope like a bowstring. The knot comes out of the rope and the ring vanishes -- simultaneously, you pull your right hand off the wand, and the ring is seen spinning on the middle of it. This looks like real magic.

Yes Bill, that's exactly the routine I've on tape done expertly by Joachim Solberg..great memeories...and this also goes for the silk through wrist routine, IIRC, Jim Ryans too...
Learn a few things well.....this life is not long enough to do everything.....

( Words of wisdom from Albert Goshman ...it paid off for him - it might
as well for YOU!!!- My own magic is styled after that motto... Smile )
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24317 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I saw Phyllis Guggenheim do this at Magic Island. I can tell you that it was one of the most effective ideas I have ever seen.

Also, let me say this -- get out of the DVD's and hit the books. Almost all the material on the DVD's is derivative material that you will find in books.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10972 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Bill not my Marterial, ....... all original
not in print ......only on my dvd the godfather
vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Profile of Werner G. Seitz
Quote:
On 2004-11-05 14:00, Bill Palmer wrote:
I saw Phyllis Guggenheim do this at Magic Island. I can tell you that it was one of the most effective ideas I have ever seen.
That's the one where you hold the specs hand (handshaking) so his hand doesn't fall off when the silk is pulled through with your other hand??
Right?? Smile
Learn a few things well.....this life is not long enough to do everything.....

( Words of wisdom from Albert Goshman ...it paid off for him - it might
as well for YOU!!!- My own magic is styled after that motto... Smile )
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3885 Posts

Profile of Julie
The Jim Ryan routine sounds a lot like the Charlie Miller routine...
Caution
View Profile
Regular user
176 Posts

Profile of Caution
Daryl has a nice one too.
Mike
UBKuel, IBkuel.
wally
View Profile
Inner circle
1831 Posts

Profile of wally
Wish I could use a rope and compact disc, just like a ring and string routine.
SKILL
View Profile
Regular user
Florida
145 Posts

Profile of SKILL
I seen so many rings and strigs routines over the years easy to do really hard to do,thats way I came out whith my own routine R3 the ultimate ring and lace routine
and I personaly show to a really good magicians here in the florida area and they all agree is really good,entertaining and very important take less than a half an hour to learn.

I hope I can show you this in person............Thanks
In order to arrive at perfeccion
you must go through the failure
Japanese Thoughts
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10972 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Skill not all of us live in Florida however why don't you put up a demo ..
since you say it is the ultimate Ring and lace routine I would love to see it.
the godfather
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
zennomind
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of zennomind
I have done a variation of "Threading the Needle" with rope and a ring.
wally
View Profile
Inner circle
1831 Posts

Profile of wally
Who performs /or sell the best Ring and Rope routine. for stage work.
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
In case anyone was interested in the Jim Ryan rope, ring and wand routine, it can be found in the new Encyclopedia of Rope Tricks.
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
Mike.Shots
View Profile
Regular user
Terrell
199 Posts

Profile of Mike.Shots
Wally, most of the professionally marketed ring and string acts out there are going to be great. I've personally only seen Gregory Wilson's and Diamond Jim's, and they're both fantastic.

If you want to buy 1 video or book, I'd reccomend Gregory Wilson's "Ring Leader" for one reason. Not only does it give you an already constructed routine you can follow, the ring leader routine, but the rest of the video is a massive encyclopedia of random R&S moves that you can easily plut into your routine, or create your own from scratch. All of the moves on the DVD are very visual, and not too difficult.
ixnay66
View Profile
Inner circle
Denver
1525 Posts

Profile of ixnay66
Quote:
On 2004-10-16 19:47, kerpa wrote:
Speaking strictly as an amateur magish, I would recommend The Restaurant Magic of Dan Fleshman, volume 1, which has many great basic routines, including sponge bunnies, a good rope routine - and Ring and String Flight. I am in the process of learning the middle section (see more below), as a complement to my card effects.

Dan's routine is great and it's the one routine I learned when I started doing magic and never stopped doing. I've neen doing it for 15 years now.
Joey Evans
View Profile
Special user
Fort Myers, FL
535 Posts

Profile of Joey Evans
SKILL, I too would be interested in seeing yours. I now perform a variation of Bob Millers routine with some of my own thinking thrown it. Would love to see yours, I also live in Florida.
The Visual Comedy and Magic of Joey Evans

http://www.Evansmagic.com/

The Impossible Has Never Been So Funny!
macp
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of macp
Quote:
On 2004-10-11 21:15, KidMagic87 wrote:
Are there any good sources for a ring-and-string routine (for finger rings). Anything better than Gregory Wilson's video, or is that all that's good?

I bought this one some time ago and there was many fine effects on this DVD.
http://www.hanklee.org/xcart/customer/pr......p;page=1
Here i am but can you see me?
clusters
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of clusters
I think Swing-a-Ring is a very good effect. Though it has gotten some mixed reviews
Murdoch82
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of Murdoch82
Ring & String gets pretty personnel. I cop from the best. You can mix and match and come up with an entertaining bit. There are many bits with ring and rope which acn be scaled down to the ring & string.