The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: Ring Watch & Wallet (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I did not say he did, I was referring to his presentation and routine. The plot is the Bandit plot that has been around since the 1920's.

Thanks for making that statement, that it is not Heist. That was before I have seen the materials and working for HEIST, that is currently being sold.

I don't know how you could know this, or your relationship to Ben Seidman, but it is at least stated.

The mechanics is really immaterial, as it is the presentation that what the audience sees.
bobandjim
View Profile
New user
44 Posts

Profile of bobandjim
I bought Heist, and I think the biggest take away from it was the alternate presentation at the end of the DVD. Andi Gladwin presents the effect as a game with a spectator. He says he will let the specter win the contents of the envelope is he can guess three questions correctly.

#1 What is your name?
#2 Are you ready?
#3 At the beginning I put three things in the envelope, what where they? Oh I'm sorry, that's not right, I never put anything in the envelope at all!

I think this is brilliant, as no one is going to believed I was actually mugged. I'm not 100% on board with this either because It's kind of a gotcha on the audience member who by now is really excited to win $100 dollars, but I think it's a really good foundation for presenting the core effect of three really strong vanishes and reproductions! Have any of you every presented it in any other context than a robbery?
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Bobandjim, If you never listen to the news, I guess you would not know how often people do get mugged in todays society. One magician was even murdered at a magic convention in Huston, Tx once.

Your job as a magician is being an actor, and if you cannot act, then I guess they would not believe that you are going to give your personal belongings away as well. It can be presented as a story you heard as well or read in a magazine.

It is good you are thinking of other scenarios to pursue, but stating, fact, no one would believe you, is a little bold. Presented "tongue and cheek" or whatever, is just a way to get into the trick. Just like they don't think you can do real magic.

The robbery theme is just fun being presented in that context, for me anyway.

I hope you come up with a presentation and story you enjoy, then protect it so no one steals your hard work.
bobandjim
View Profile
New user
44 Posts

Profile of bobandjim
I agree Bill, saying no one would believe it is a bit too absolute. Having reflected, I think what I wanted to get at is that other's have done the robbery theme so much better than me, I would prefer to find another theme for the effect instead.

Some theme's I've thought of:
Amazon Prime's new 2 second shipping return policy. Stuff everything in the envelop and it will be replaced in 2 seconds. Replace the money with Amazon gift cards.

Aunt Abigail's super speedy watch repair and and jewelry emporium. For a 5 dollar fee your watch batteries will be replaced and your ring will be polished good as new. 20$ goes in, 15$ back in the wallet.

State Farm insurance. Similar to the robbery angle, say the magic words" Like a good Neighbor State Farm is there" if your stuff gets stolen, and it's replaced in an instant!

sure is a lot of capitalism going on here Smile

How to beat airport security: Place all your valuables in the envelop and hand it to the TSA officer. Won't he be in for a shock when he finds out its empty!
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Bobandjim, all those good ideas. What you have to work on the patter (words) you will actually use. Write a script out and try in your own style. Then try it on people you trust that will give some constructive ideas on wording and how to deliver it. Good luck.
Mac_Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
Miami, FL
1435 Posts

Profile of Mac_Stone
If they won't believe it happened to you, they'll at least believe it happened to someone else. Tell someone else's story.

By the way, big news from a few years back, David Copperfield was mugged in Las Vegas. . . .