The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: Gypsy thread starting point (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1918 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
Motown:

Yes, I have.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6146 Posts

Profile of motown
That's good to know.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On Apr 26, 2016, Rainboguy wrote:
Http://www.wawak.com/Threads/Thread/cust....../Basting

Hard to beat this pricing. I just ordered some and they ship right away.

The all important question is - does it break easily, with very little effort on your part?
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1918 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
This is 40 weight basting thread.....a tad bit more effort is required to break it but it is still manageable and breaks relatively easily. Compare that WHITE thread with this NEW Glow-Thread from Stevens Magic......for both weight, price, and quantity............

http://www.stevensmagic.global/product/s......m-magic/
Damian
View Profile
Veteran user
363 Posts

Profile of Damian
"Obviously, it's not for a stage show though."

Kaliix, why don't you think so? Bob Riordan, at Boston's Mystery Lounge, has been performing gypsy floss on stage there for many years. He's got a terrific and memorable routine with a spectator.

In any case, I agree with you that the dental floss version is a brilliant addition-especially for strolling. That said, I don't understand the near desperate searching for basting thread that surrounds this trick. I've found that the one-handed thread-breaking method used by seamstresses makes breaking any normal thread a "snap." I'm surprised more magicians don't use it; it's been described in the literature.
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
2001 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
As with a lot of things, I guess it's how you define a stage show. I think of a stage show as being on an elevated platform (stage) with seating for at least a thousand if not at least several thousand. With that many people, the distance between performer and audience would grow to a point where dental floss would be wouldn't be that visible. Heck, I can't honestly say I've ever tried it so for all I know maybe floss is highly visible at distances of a hundred feet or more. I would just think that for stage work, thicker thread would be a better choice. I personally always thought that UV glow thread would be the ideal choice for stage work, but then I work closeup so what do I know... Smile

How big is the theater up in Boston?

Quote:
On May 25, 2016, Damian wrote:
"Obviously, it's not for a stage show though."

Kaliix, why don't you think so? Bob Riordan, at Boston's Mystery Lounge, has been performing gypsy floss on stage there for many years. He's got a terrific and memorable routine with a spectator.

In any case, I agree with you that the dental floss version is a brilliant addition-especially for strolling. That said, I don't understand the near desperate searching for basting thread that surrounds this trick. I've found that the one-handed thread-breaking method used by seamstresses makes breaking any normal thread a "snap." I'm surprised more magicians don't use it; it's been described in the literature.
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
Damian
View Profile
Veteran user
363 Posts

Profile of Damian
The theater is Boston is like a comedy club (actually, it IS a comedy club)-small stage, seating at tables-not the large theater you were describing. That said, I performed gypsy thread on stage, once for several hundred people. You could see the thread from the back of the room. Floss is a lot bigger. Plus, like I said, with Riordan's routine, he brings a spectator up on stage-it's a nice touch and makes the whole routine play bigger.
cheaptrick
View Profile
Loyal user
Wilmington, Delaware
251 Posts

Profile of cheaptrick
I just use WAXED dental floss from the Dollar Store
and a liturgical-looking candle. There should be no
problem with spectator viewing this in a stage venue
unless the place is as big as Rockefeller Center.

Smile
"Pick any card. NOT that one!!!"
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I guess none of you guys know there is such a thing in theaters called a spot light.

Billy McComb performed the Gypsy Thread routine several time on the Abbott's Get To-gether for an audience of over 1200 people. Yes, he had a spot light on him, sitting on a stool. Very easy to see the thread.

Didn't they make Day Glow dental Floss for kids, I seem to remember it being on the market once.
johnnykmagic
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of johnnykmagic
Quote:
On Jun 5, 2015, Bill Hegbli wrote:
Just my opinion, but I don't like the L&L DVD on the Gypsy Thread. None of the performers are true artist. Yes, they have a name in magic, but that just means they have studied all the works I mentioned, and then made a video.

Eugene Burger and Daryl aren't artists?? are you ****ting me?!