The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: What is best resource for Gypsy Thread routine? (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Olle Tro.
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of Olle Tro.
Motown - what do you think is the most helpful?
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6145 Posts

Profile of motown
Olle,

I would start with L&L WGM Gypsy Thread DVD. You'll get a chance to see several different performer's presentations as well as different ways on how to prepare the thread. And you get a lot of value for your money.

Craig
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Nicodemus
View Profile
Special user
646 Posts

Profile of Nicodemus
Anyone know of a source for " Chadwicks mending cotton " .. either in the U.S. or someone that would be willing to purchase & mail some from the U.K. ...?

Thanks, - Nicodemus
" Res Non Verba "

" Deeds Not Words "
Scott Fridinger
View Profile
Special user
Gloucester Pt, VA
893 Posts

Profile of Scott Fridinger
I use dental floss. You can pull it right out of the container, it is very innocent prop.
www.JustGreatMagic.com
Sleight of Hand, Sleight of Mind
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3667 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
You should try making up your own routine for Gypsy Thread.

I've written two very different routines and I'm still thinking about trying again.

Gypsy Thread is a great starter effect for writing your own stuff because the effect is undeniably strong and very simple to understand and easy to do as well. Breaking up and coming back together almost sounds like a metaphor for something else as stated. Just let your mind wander and try it.

In fact, I think it would work for Scout Packs, Family and Class Reunions. Glad I decided to post on this, I'm sure to try at least one of those themes.

- Mary Mowder
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2010-09-17 08:54, Nicodemus wrote:
Anyone know of a source for " Chadwicks mending cotton " .. either in the U.S. or someone that would be willing to purchase & mail some from the U.K. ...?

Thanks, - Nicodemus

Did a search on the internet for Chadwick mending yarn, it seems this brand is no longer available in the UK. I did find a site that sold several as "Vintage" and they were sold out.
Nicodemus
View Profile
Special user
646 Posts

Profile of Nicodemus
Wmhegbli: Thanks for the feedback on Chadwick thread.. bummer.
" Res Non Verba "

" Deeds Not Words "
DonKnox
View Profile
New user
Oceanside, CA
33 Posts

Profile of DonKnox
This is the only place I have found Basting thread on the web - buying it there for a couple of years: http://www.thesewingplace.com/index.asp?......dID=4252

Don
doug brewer
View Profile
V.I.P.
1142 Posts

Profile of doug brewer
Corbett: I've always wanted to do this trick too, and waited until last year to really get serious. I started with the "Greatest Magic" DVD and went through each and every one of them. The standout was the Buckingham routine. Very well thought out and user friendly. However, ironically, I went back to the Lon Chevrie method. This has turned out to be one of the most requested tricks at my bar gig. I prepare three floss containers in advance and have them when I need them. Some routines are better for standup, others for walkaround. It's worth seeing them all.

Doug
H2Odesign
View Profile
Regular user
the Armpit of the Panhandle
193 Posts

Profile of H2Odesign
Quote:
On 2010-01-05 06:47, Yellowcustard wrote:
Good point always learn as much as you can then develop your own.

I couldn't agree more, so please don't forget some addition citations from our friend Denis Behr:

http://archive.denisbehr.de/archive/rout......l=33,912
[this link seems to bring you to the larger THREAD thread so cut and paste this address for the specific section on the HINDU THREAD thread "http://archive.denisbehr.de/archive/route/entries.php?url=33,912" :o)]

Jörg Alexander Sticking To The Gypsy Thread convincer The Book p125
Al Baker The Hindu Thread Trick The Secret Ways of Al Baker p378
Al Baker Thread Trick The Secret Ways of Al Baker p751
Henry Mayol Thread-Bare routine with vanishing thread kicker Apocalypse Vol. 6-10 (Vol.7 No.4) p901
Milton Tropp "Impromptu" Broken & Restored Thread Tarbell Course in Magic - Volume 7 193
Unknown The Hindu Thread Trick Greater Magic 846
Unknown Hindu Yarn Mystery Tarbell Course in Magic - Volume 5 27
John C. Wagner Torn and Restored Effects application of Charisma Change to Gypsy Thread, 7 Secrets p52

And also:
Eugene Burger New Year's Thread Strange Ceremonies 103
Geoffrey Durham The Gypsy Thread Professional Secrets 29

Larry
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
6145 Posts

Profile of motown
Trevor Lewis has a nice routine for Gypsy Thread in his latest book "Routines Matter". A great book if you don't have it. He also has a different way to set up/wind the thread for the set up.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Signor Blitz
View Profile
Elite user
419 Posts

Profile of Signor Blitz
I like the Dragon Thread - I don't remember who did it, but it uses a darning thread - it was a video that was released.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
6145 Posts

Profile of motown
Eddie Joseph has a Hindu Thread routine in his book "The Art of Magic".
– Karl Germain
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
6145 Posts

Profile of motown
If you can find it, there's a Corinda manuscript publish in 1960 on The Hindu Thread Trick, routined by Hans Trixer.
– Karl Germain
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2010-10-15 14:02, Signor Blitz wrote:
I like the Dragon Thread - I don't remember who did it, but it uses a darning thread - it was a video that was released.

It was Mike Wong.
Dr. JK
View Profile
Inner circle
Sandusky, OH
1191 Posts

Profile of Dr. JK
I don't think anyone's mentioned it, but when you get whatever routine, use "floss" (not the dental stuff, but craft floss). You can get almost any color you want at Wal-mart for like $0.25. This gives you a good amount to work with, but since you're tearing it up and then "restoring" it, it should last you forever, right? Smile
- Jeff Kowalk, The Psychic CPA
www.youtube.com/eruditemagic
IG: @erudite.magic
FB: @eruditemagic
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
6145 Posts

Profile of motown
What's the kraft floss used for?
– Karl Germain
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
6145 Posts

Profile of motown
Piet Forton has a double restoration that can be found in Pabular, Vol. 5, No. 10, Oct. '79, page 740.
– Karl Germain
Dr. JK
View Profile
Inner circle
Sandusky, OH
1191 Posts

Profile of Dr. JK
@motown: I believe it's used for something called "smocking," but don't hold me to that. I'm not a craft guy myself, but I do know where to get cheap magic props! Smile
- Jeff Kowalk, The Psychic CPA
www.youtube.com/eruditemagic
IG: @erudite.magic
FB: @eruditemagic
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
6145 Posts

Profile of motown
Thanks, I'll check it out.
– Karl Germain