The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: Ring on string...where to start? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
puggo
View Profile
Inner circle
2022 Posts

Profile of puggo
As well as the excellent advice above, could I recommend 'Worlds Greatest Magic with finger rings' as a great intro. It has several of the performers listed above, such as Dan Fleshman, Mark Leveridge etc.
Not all the routines involve string, but a very broad spread, from Flip to Al Schneider to Daryl..
A great way to spend £15!
Barrett_James
View Profile
Loyal user
Southern Arizona
242 Posts

Profile of Barrett_James
Hello All,

Not to go to far back but I have been learning Tabary's Ring and String Routine (from a book no less!?!) and find it to be AWESOME! Anyone still know of this gem or using it?

Regards,

Barrett James
"...let us now rejoin our foolish friends and commence the book properly." G.H.
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10974 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Yes I use parts of Tabar'y routine it is also on his video
vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6146 Posts

Profile of motown
L&L has a dvd with several routines in there World's Greatest Magic series.

That's a good start.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Magical John!
View Profile
New user
47 Posts

Profile of Magical John!
Jay Scott Barry has a really nice routine
DanielCoyne
View Profile
Special user
Western Massachussetts
544 Posts

Profile of DanielCoyne
I just got 'Ringscape' from Fantasma. I have to say, that as simple and easy as it is, Ringscape has produced some bug-eyed, gaping mouth reactions.

I'm going to see if it can be done with a larger ring so that I can do a few escapes that don't utilize the gaff (to keep everyone guessing).

-Daniel
nonvpro
View Profile
Inner circle
1844 Posts

Profile of nonvpro
I've only learned one routine and it was Dan Fleshman's routine. It has served me well. Its a great 4 phase routine.
sruli
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of sruli
I love Fleshman's routine for closeup. If I am entertaining for a small room, I use Rope, Ring and Wand, and recently I have added Sanders' Interlaced as a finisher to the routine.
Corbett
View Profile
Inner circle
Indiana
1163 Posts

Profile of Corbett
Are you wanting ring on string, or ring on rope? For small ring on string (shoelace), you can't get any better teaching and quantity of handlings than Ring Leader. Of all of my DVDs, it's probably got the most material. It is EXCELLENT.

For larger ring on rope, this is a current topic for me as well. I just recently downloaded and am learning Scott Guinn's Ring on Rope routine from his website. I am very pleased with it. In my opinion, too many large ring on rope routines looked like knot puzzles to me, and not very magical. Scott's routine however, is full of magical penetrations both linking and unlinking.

Good luck with your search.
Corbett
View Profile
Inner circle
Indiana
1163 Posts

Profile of Corbett
Are you wanting ring on string, or ring on rope? For small ring on string (shoelace), you can't get any better teaching and quantity of handlings than Ring Leader. Of all of my DVDs, it's probably got the most material. It is EXCELLENT.

For larger ring on rope, this is a current topic for me as well. I just recently downloaded and am learning Scott Guinn's Ring on Rope routine from his website. I am very pleased with it. In my opinion, too many large ring on rope routines looked like knot puzzles to me, and not very magical. Scott's routine however, is full of magical penetrations both linking and unlinking.

Good luck with your search.
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
Thanks Corbett! For smaller (finger) ring routines, the single best source is Ray's Ring & Rope Routines, a VHS produced by Jeff Busby. Many of the moves you see in other sources are Ray's, with either wrong credit or no credit at all. Ray is the Mac Daddy of finger ring and rope routines!
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
6586 Posts

BTW, I guess I should have mentioned that I have a couple of routines myself! Go to my website (link in my signature), click on the "General Magic" tab, and scroll down to "Small Ring Routines". For $12.50 you get an instant download PDF of four routines with small rings. First, two keychain rings and a shoelace add up to astonishment and amusement. This is followed by two routines with a finger ring and string. The first uses your ring, the second a ring you borrow from the audience. Finally, a borrowed finger ring, locked on the shackle of a padlock, transposes with your ring and ends up inside a locked box! Difficulty: Intermediate
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
puggo
View Profile
Inner circle
2022 Posts

Profile of puggo
And there are some great routines by the above gentleman, Scott F Guinn. I can recommend his e-books - effective & good value.
PS I have used hislinked split ring routine routine as part of a ring and string routine - unusual with good spectator reactions
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
6586 Posts

Thanks, puggo! I appreciate the pug...er, plug!
My Lybrary Page