The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: Gypsy / Hindu Thread List (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
wally
View Profile
Inner circle
1831 Posts

Profile of wally
Who uses a TT while performing Gypsy thread, info please.
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
In search of Vlad Dracul and his
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
There is a newer release from Peter Samelson called 'Heartstrings' and marketed by Bill Abbott. I also know I saw Alain Choquette explaining his handling in a lecture some years ago in Toronto (and also not in English), but off the top of my head, I am not sure if he ever published it in any notes.
wally
View Profile
Inner circle
1831 Posts

Profile of wally
Have you seen the price of Heartstrings ??
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
Quote:
On 2013-07-08 15:40, wally wrote:

Yes.
corpmagi
View Profile
Special user
New York
725 Posts

Profile of corpmagi
Gaeton Bloom also has an excellent Gypsy Thread. Hopefully all will be revealed in his new book published by Kevin James. The release date coincides with Magic Live.
A Modern Trade Show Handbook
www.trafficstoppers.com/handbook
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
I had forgotten about the ever masterful version from Gaeton, a fantastic version its own right!
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6146 Posts

Profile of motown
Quote:
On 2013-07-08 14:38, Dr_J_Ayala wrote:
There is a newer release from Peter Samelson called 'Heartstrings' and marketed by Bill Abbott. I also know I saw Alain Choquette explaining his handling in a lecture some years ago in Toronto (and also not in English), but off the top of my head, I am not sure if he ever published it in any notes.
Doc,

Alain Choquette performs a stage version on Gary Ouellet's Gypsy Thread DVD.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
6146 Posts

Profile of motown
I have played with a TT based on a Jay Scott Berry idea using one.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
Quote:
Doc,

Alain Choquette performs a stage version on Gary Ouellet's Gypsy Thread DVD.

@Motown: I have the Ouellet video (both VHS and now DVD) but I was thinking in terms of printed notes. In the lecture he gave some other hints and tips that did not make it onto the Ouellet tape.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
6146 Posts

Profile of motown
Yes, your correct about that.
– Karl Germain
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
6146 Posts

Profile of motown
Quote:
On 2013-07-08 15:40, wally wrote:
Yes, it's expensive and to my mind since it's sold as a pro package should have included the thread. I found that very odd. The thread should have been included, even if it meant using a different type of packaging then the flat pack that was used. It just makes sense. In addition to that the DVD should have been replicated on a better quality disc.
– Karl Germain
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
6146 Posts

Profile of motown
Updated List:

GYPSY THREAD

DVD / VIDEO:

-An Introduction to Flash Products by Scott Penrose (International Magic) - Gypsy Thread, DVD

-Arthur Tivoli In Tivoliland - “Coco Channel”

-Bev Bergeron On Tape - “Broken Yarn”

-Daryl’s Fooler Doolers Vol. 2 - “The Hindu Thread Trick” (Al Baker), *also on L&L WGM DVD

-Dragon Thread (Mike Wong)

-Friend’s Of Roger Klause Vol. 1 (Richard Hatch) - “The Mystery of the Jadoo Wallah”

-Greater Magic Video Library Vol. 30 (Billy McComb) - “Gypsy Thread”, *performance only

-Gypsy Balloon DVD (Tony Clark), Nice presentation

-Gypsy Thread (Bob Read); Torn and Restored Flash Thread (Henry Evans) *Gypsy Thread - Street Style (Cellini);

-Heartstrings Complete Pro Package (Peter Samelson) - Gypsy Thread presentation

-Magical Voyages Vol. 3 (Eugene Burger) - “Shakespearean Thread”, *performance only, also on L&L WGM DVD

-Magic Academy Disc 5, Vol. 22: Enchanting Cabaret Magic 2 (Billy McComb) - “Gypsy Thread”

-Magic That Can Be Performed Anywhere (Cellini) - “Gypsy Thread - Street Style”, *also on L&L WGM DVD

-Master Works of Conjuring Vol. 3: A Gift of Fiction (Mark De Souza) “Dream Catcher”

-Packs Small Plays Massive Volume 2 (Jamie Allen) - Gypsy Thread presentation

-Piet Forton’s International Magic Lecture - “Gypsy Thread”

-Shakespearean Thread, *performance only (Eugene Burger)

-Shawn Farquhar - “Thread of Life”, on his interactive magic DVD and YouTube

-Something More than Illusion Vol. 3 (Henry Evans) - “Torn and Restored Flash Thread”, *also on L&L WGM DVD

-String Theory DVD and Gimmick (Vince Mendoza) Gypsy Thread presentation

-The Gypsy Thread (Gary Ouellet)

-The Art of Presenting Magic to Children (Danny Orleans) - "Gypsy Thread" presentation

-Wanted! The Outlaw Magic of Lonnie Chevrie Vol.1 - “String’em Up” using dental floss

-World’s Greatest Magic - Gypsy Thread: The Hindu Thread Trick (Daryl /Al Baker), Gypsy Thread (Buckingham);

PUBLICATIONS:

-Apocalypse, Vol. 6 - 10 - “Thread-Bare with vanishing thread kicker” (Henry Mayol), Vol. 7 No. 4, pg 901

-Billy’s Gypsy

-Close-up Cavalcade (Jerry Mentzer) - “Improved Gypsy Torn & Restored Thread” (Tony Spina), pg 126

-Corinda’s The Hindu Thread Trick - Routined by Hans Trixer, 11 pages

-It’s Easier Than You Think Vol. 2 (Geoffery Buckingham), pg 96

-Greater Magic - “The Gypsy Thread Trick” (Unknown), pg 846

-Lewis Ganson’s Teach-in Series: Hindu Thread (Baker, Kaplan, Warlock, Trixer, Marconick, Bongo, Conway), 24 pgs

-Lewis Ganson’s The Art of Close-Up Magic, Vol. 1 - “Easier Gypsy Thread” (Norman Rhodes), pg 245

-Magic Menu, Vol. 1, Issue 5 - “Waxed” (Charles Green), pg 44

-MUM March 2007 - “The Miracle of the Jadoo-Wallah” (Richard Hatch), pg 61; “Darn It” (Lou Tannen), pg 40;

-“The No Cavities Guarantee (Lonnie Chevrie), p41

-Pabular, Vol. 5, No. 10, Oct. ‘79 - “Gypsy Thread / Double Restoration” (Piet Forton), pg 29

-Professional Secrets: A Life in Magic (Geoffrey Durham) - “Gypsy Thread”, pg 29

-Routines Matter (Trevor Lewis) - “Gypsy Thread”, pg 89

-Sleight of Hand (Edwin Sachs) - “The Hindu Thread”, pg 45/47

-Spirit Theater (Eugene Burger) - “The Thread of life and Death”, pg 156 -163

-Strange Ceremonies (Eugene Burger) - “New Years Thread”, pg 103

-Tarbell Vol. 5 - “Hindu Yarn Mystery”, pg 27

-Tarbell Vol. 7 - “Impromptu Broken and Restored Thread” (Milton Tropp), pg 193

-The Art of Eddie Joseph (Hugh Miller) - “Hindu Yarn Trick”, pg 208. Makes use of a thumb tip.

-The Book (Jörg Alexander) Sticking to the Gypsy Thread convincer, pg 125

-The Eternal String (Max Londono) 8 pages

-The Experience of Magic (Eugene Burger) - “Cosmic Thread”, pg 107

-The Fine Art of Magic (George Kaplan) - “The Gypsy Thread Trick”, pg 305 - 313

-The Lecture Book 1998: Stunning Effects & Ideas - (Shaun Yee) - “Colored Gypsy Thread”, pg

-The Linking Ring Vol. 83, No. 5, May 2003 (John T. Sheets) - “The Ancient Gypsy Flosses Both of Her Teeth”, pg

-The Pentagram, Vol.7, No. 8, April 1953 - Hindu Thread Trick, pg (Baker, Kaplan, Warlock, Trixer)

-The Secret Ways of Al Baker (Al Baker) Hindu Thread Trick, pg 378 and pg 751
– Karl Germain
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Egyptian Cotton by John Shirley, marketed through Magic Inc. in the early 1980's, uses a wood pointed blunt tip peg, to hide and steal the gimmicked ball. The thread was wound around the peg. Came with a printed booklet of instructions. No longer available.

Niberco's Double Dutch Thread Mystery, sold on the Niberco Brothers lecture tour in the U.S., printed instructions sheets. The feature of this version is to present it twice, with a repeat of the trick immediately after presenting the trick. No longer available. Also from the early 1980's.
Foxbiz
View Profile
Loyal user
Atlanta
209 Posts

Profile of Foxbiz
OK... this 'thread" just popped up again and I noticed one entry... -It’s Easier Than You Think Vol. 2 (Geoffery Buckingham), pg 96
So I pulled out my copy and could not find this reference. There is no pg96 and no reference anywhere to thread work. Only thimbles in Vol 2 (Vol 1 is coins and billard balls).
Just posting for clarification.
I always found this booklet by Buckingham to be funny... He shows that it IS much harder than you think to perform his routines!!!
Lynn
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
6146 Posts

Profile of motown
Quote:
On Jan 7, 2015, Foxbiz wrote:
OK... this 'thread" just popped up again and I noticed one entry... -It’s Easier Than You Think Vol. 2 (Geoffery Buckingham), pg 96
So I pulled out my copy and could not find this reference. There is no pg96 and no reference anywhere to thread work. Only thimbles in Vol 2 (Vol 1 is coins and billard balls).
Just posting for clarification.
I always found this booklet by Buckingham to be funny... He shows that it IS much harder than you think to perform his routines!!!
Lynn
The version of the book I had was spiral bound, is yours?
– Karl Germain
Jeffrey Korst
View Profile
New user
SF Bay Area
92 Posts

Profile of Jeffrey Korst
The Gypsy Thread in "It's Easier Than You Think" is in Vol. 3. Mine says it was published by Magic Inc, First Printing 1979. The type of binding is, I believe, called comb.
Why, yes. I do need new pictures. Why do you ask?

Jeffrey Korst
San Francisco Bay Area Magician
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
6146 Posts

Profile of motown
Thanks for the correction Jeffery.
– Karl Germain
Steven Leung
View Profile
Inner circle
found the Magic Rainbow after
1614 Posts

Profile of Steven Leung
Just input some new publications I found on Gypsy Thread:

David Williamson - DVD : Ridiculous by David Williamson; Disc 3 (published by EMC)
Javier Benetiez (Chango) - DVD / instant download : Chango by Javier Benetiez (published by Grupokaps under Dani Daortiz)
Most memorable moment - with Maestro Juan Tamariz & Consuelo Lorgia in FISM Busan 2018.

"Being fooled by a trick doesn't always mean they are having a good time" - Homer Liwag

https://hhpresents.com/
https://www.glitchstudiohk.com/
leosy7
View Profile
New user
San Diego, CA
9 Posts

Profile of leosy7
I have a question. Does anyone know how David Williamson suck the piece of thread hanging from his mouth. This is a very good piece of comedy. I have all his videos Sleight of Dave 1/2, Farm, Rediculous videos but he never did explain it, he skipped it. If anyone got any idea where I can learn it. Please post.
Joe Brewer
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of Joe Brewer
Quote:
On Nov 20, 2016, leosy7 wrote:
I have a question. Does anyone know how David Williamson suck the piece of thread hanging from his mouth. This is a very good piece of comedy. I have all his videos Sleight of Dave 1/2, Farm, Rediculous videos but he never did explain it, he skipped it. If anyone got any idea where I can learn it. Please post.

Hi leosy7

This is explained on one of the 1/2 hour videos that International magic sell - either the racoon lecture, or "another 1/2 hour". I'm not sure which one.

Joe