The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: Paddle tricks (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Mediocre the Great
View Profile
Inner circle
Rich Hurley
1062 Posts

Profile of Mediocre the Great
I love Paul Green's pygmy paddle routine becuase it's so commercial! The paddles can be customized to plug the venue you're working in and the paddles can be given away as a moemento.

Pete Biro's routine is also novel and quite brilliant.

Recently I was shown a nice paddle trick using 3 holes and a tooth pick. The ending really got me. It's another Porper trick - and a good one for the wise guys in the audience.
Mediocrity is greatly under rated!
--------------------------------------------

Rich Hurley aka Mediocre The Great!
www.RichHurleyMagic.com
The Cardfather
View Profile
Veteran user
Long Beach, CA
347 Posts

Profile of The Cardfather
Quote:
On 2010-05-10 08:26, Nala Nosmoht wrote:
I also am partial to Jumping Gems (with flashrod ending) having perfomed it over 25 years. But it needs to be performed slower , it becomes much more magical. Done as in the video clip above, just a confusing collection of rapid moves.

I agree with your comment. The clip was just the best I could find at the moment.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
The very best Paddle Tricks in the World are:

Jumping Gems with Flash Rod finale (a Ken Allen product)
I'll Start Again (a Repro Magic product)
Ju Ju STick (a Repro Magic product)

Nothing beats these for routine and entertainment value.
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3885 Posts

Profile of Julie
Ken Allen of Jumping Gems, Crosstown, Tricky Tray etc. fame produced an interesting series (3, I think) of transparent plastic paddles. The effect is an attractive lady in a long gown is surprisingly made to lose her gown altogether and appear completely nude!

Ken also supplied a short poem in good taste to accompany the Magic.

If I remember correctly, each of the 3 paddles featured a different lady in a different pose and a differently colored dress.

For a while you could buy those same decals at truck stops and other male oriented stores. The novelty, of course, was the figure's being clothed when viewed from one side of a window and sans clothes from the other side. Remember cars/trucks had crank open and manually operated little vent windows then and it was easy to show off this risque' addition to your gang.

I'm not saying this is my favorite paddle trick, but this unique "transparent change" was a novelty for its time and worth mentioning for posterity.

Julie (blushing just a bit Smile )
Luke Clough
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of Luke Clough
Having seen Lee Smith perform 'Strike 2' countless amount of times, I can honestly say it's blown everyone away every single time, check out his STEPS 2 dvd set, I can't recall a clip on youtube etc to link
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I agree "I'll Start Again" originally from JImmy Rogers via Unique Studio. I learned it in England from Alan Alan when he worked at Unique. Unique's line was sold to REPRO, but I understand they have gone out of biz.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Hey, Pete, I have the JUMBO "I'll Start Again" from Harry Stanley's Unique Magic studio. I love the routine. 100% Entertainment!
The Baldini
View Profile
Inner circle
I some how pounded in
2443 Posts

Profile of The Baldini
Joe Mogar his knifes are so cool, and his video is great too
RevJohn
View Profile
Inner circle
Oregon City Oregon, Oregon
2473 Posts

Profile of RevJohn
Carney's Swing Blade, and Chance Wolf's "Shattered"

I also enjoy Paul Green's Pygmy Paddles.
randirain
View Profile
Inner circle
Fort Worth, TX
1653 Posts

Profile of randirain
I was told of one with Dracula on it that was made ages ago, so I made one myself.

The routine...

You show a coffin shaped paddle that has Dracula on both sides.
Then you pull out a small mirror, hold it underneath the paddle, and show how vampires don't cast a reflection.
(HUH? pretty awesome!)
Then you pull out a small steak that sticks through a hole in Dracula.
Then he vanishes.

Great paddle trick!!

Randi
Andy Charlton
View Profile
Veteran user
Palma Nova Mallorca Spain
311 Posts

Profile of Andy Charlton
Quote:
On 2008-06-22 04:45, Tom Fenton wrote:
Have a look at John Carney's "Swing Blade".
One of the best impromptu paddle tricks going.

Is that the one with the knife that he does here:- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbQUCCUECdw&feature=related If so, it's very good, I like the move with the glass, and funnily enough, I use two pieces instead of three as I feel it streamlines it, but I learned it from Mark Wilson's Complete course in Magic.

Published in 1975. Still the best value way of learning magic. In the UK its under a tenner from Amazon, and it's really well written, easy to follow, and has over 200 effects in it from cards, close-up and bar betchas, all the way up to full scale stage illusions. Don't tell anyone, but half of my professional act comes from it. Smile

Andy
"Keep that smile on your face, that excitement in your eyes." - Don Driver

Check out www.andyandjeansbigadventure.com
or
www.andysmagic.com
Andy Charlton
View Profile
Veteran user
311 Posts

Profile of Andy Charlton
Quote:
On 2010-06-10 19:30, randirain wrote:
I was told of one with Dracula on it that was made ages ago, so I made one myself.

The routine...

You show a coffin shaped paddle that has Dracula on both sides.
Then you pull out a small mirror, hold it underneath the paddle, and show how vampires don't cast a reflection.
(HUH? pretty awesome!)
Then you pull out a small steak that sticks through a hole in Dracula.
Then he vanishes.

Great paddle trick!!

Randi

Now THAT is brilliant!

Andy

or
www.andysmagic.com
Andy Charlton
View Profile
Veteran user
311 Posts

Profile of Andy Charlton
Oh, but performing I do "I'll Start Again," all the time, and impromptu, I do a little routine with a borrowed lighter where the logo appears and disappears, and has a story about a rep coming to our bar to sell us different types of lighters.

Andy

or
www.andysmagic.com
xrudyreelx
View Profile
New user
south jersey
54 Posts

Profile of xrudyreelx
There are a lot of really nice ones posted here but lets not forget fly circus.It has to be by far the most amazing paddle effect ever ....................hahaha I'm so sorry I had to fly circus is the worst looking effect I have ever stumbled across its bulky its ugly it has flies on it need I say more. Just plain awful. Has anyone ever seen it if so do you agree?
robertmichaels
View Profile
New user
45 Posts

Profile of robertmichaels
Pygmy Paddles by Paul Green hands down. Its personalized with permanent marker by you and the spectator.

A spectator signs it.
It then becomes visible on both sides
They wave their hand over it and it changes to your name or name of restaurant.
This now appears on both sides.
Place the paddle in their hand and now the changes are permanent.

This gets great reactions. And its given away as a souvenir.

You get them from Paul Green here on the Café. These are a permanent part of my restaurant routine. I've tried on my own to find paddles that will work and found that Mr. Green is the best source.
robertmichaels
View Profile
New user
45 Posts

Profile of robertmichaels
Quote:
On 2010-04-23 22:06, PaulGreen wrote:
Personally, I prefer the Pygmy Paddle. The population that has purchased it and performed it have been paid back partially with prestige.

Check The Magic Menu and I think Genii Magazine.

Regards,

Paul Green

This is true Paul. If you are interested in simple, direct, hard hitting magic, read my review of the Pygmy Paddles here.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......&forum=4

I've used them with success in my Restaurant work.
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
I always had a problem with finding props initially meaningful

The routine that I prefer is
Young, Mark K. The Amazing Jumping Arrow. Same principle as the colour changing knives but an arrow moves up and down a rod. The principle could be used for the Swiss army knives (Victorinox) logo having a wider variety of effects. First the logo moves up and down and then the knife changes color (Niberco supply from sleeve, and pocket ditching of the other a la Slydini/Gary Kurtz). If not interested in the Swiss army knives, any small (preferably meaningful in the frame of the plot) decal would do

The most meaningful paddle prop I've studied is from Scott Guinn "Great Scott! It’s Coin Magic!" p 50: Sucker Trick reprinted in My Best To You Vol 2 p 5: Sucker Trick and it's... a lolly pop and a dime! The routine is also really nice.
Magic is the art of emotionally sharing live impossible situations
wa-na-be
View Profile
Veteran user
355 Posts

Profile of wa-na-be
This one looks really cool. I think it is the one that Randi may have been talking about.

Does not seem to be made anymore though.

http://www.martinsmagic.com/?nd=full&key=3827&myaf=af_mm
ralphs007
View Profile
Inner circle
1087 Posts

Profile of ralphs007
Quote:
On 2010-05-10 08:26, Nala Nosmoht wrote:
I also am partial to Jumping Gems (with flashrod ending) having perfomed it over 25 years. But it needs to be performed slower , it becomes much more magical. Done as in the video clip above, just a confusing collection of rapid moves.

Hi Nala
Do they still make this (Jumping Gems with flashrod ending)? I've done a google search but all I could find was Jumping Gems. Could you explain what the flashrod ending is?
Thanks
Ralph
"You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him".
James D. Miles
randirain
View Profile
Inner circle
Fort Worth, TX
1653 Posts

Profile of randirain
That one is much nicer than the one I was talking about.
But it looks like it is based on the same idea.

Randi