The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: Looking for better Chinese sticks and Pom Pom poles (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
EVILDAN
View Profile
Inner circle
1279 Posts

Profile of EVILDAN
The Zanadu Ming Dynasty Sticks are available again.
They look good and have a nice smooth action.
by EVILDAN....
"The Coin Board Book" - moves and routines with the coin panel board. - http://www.lybrary.com/the-coin-board-book-p-827955.html
"SLASHER - A Horror Whodunnit" - a bizarre close-up routine based on Bob Neale's "Sole Survivor."
PM me for more info.
"Zombie Town" - a packet effect about how a small town turned into zombies. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nzJhcoJtyOM
marty.sasaki
View Profile
Inner circle
1117 Posts

Profile of marty.sasaki
I just ordered a set of sticks from General Grant. I'm really looking forward to getting them. I wanted a set the first time I saw them, but could never justify buying a set. I'll have enough money shortly to get a set, and since it takes a little while to get a set since General makes them in his workshop/garage, I should have the cash by the time he has them finished.

I've worked out a routine using Pete Biro's extra tassel with an Chinese/Japanese theme. Works for me because I'm Japanese.
Marty Sasaki
Arlington, Massachusetts, USA

Standard disclaimer: I'm just a hobbyist who enjoys occasionally mystifying friends and family, so my opinions should be viewed with this in mind.
RickVancouver
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver, BC
702 Posts

Profile of RickVancouver
I see there's a new set of Chinese Sticks on the block: http://www.mjmmagic.com/store/ping-and-p......48b55dc7

This one looks like it might have some presentation possibilities.

Rick
www.vancouvermagic.com
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.
Whitewolfny
View Profile
Loyal user
216 Posts

Profile of Whitewolfny
I saw Kevin Spencer's show in New York. He did the Pom-pom Pole trick. First I was amazed that he would use such a tired old trick as that. After all, everyone knows how it works, it's been around for so long. Then he did his presentation and at the end, the audience gasped when he broke the pole apart.

I forgot this was a public performance not one for a magician's convention and I'll bet most of the people in that audience have never seen this trick before. The audience reaction was amazing. I went out and bought a nice pole from Hank Lee's Magic Factory. I've used it a couple times for lay people and I hear the same gasp of amazement from them at the end. I think this trick is more powerful than some magicians here realize. Sometimes the simplest of tricks to us "in the know" can appear to be near god-like powers to those who don't know.
Braxton Mannar
<BR>Just an old dog trying to learn new tricks Smile
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Proving once again...IT IS ALL IN THE PRESENTATION.

Posted: Aug 6, 2008 11:23pm
OH, RANNIE... did you ever decide what to get?
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
MikeDes
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal
1174 Posts

Profile of MikeDes
Has anyone seen the Wayne Dobson Ping and Pong routine? I'd love to get someone's thoughts on it.
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Gaetan Bloom had a great effect years ago on the sam line but with a different technique. He was using two bicycle pumps and when he would push one in, the other one would come out. A great effect opening plenty of comical situations.
Magic is the art of emotionally sharing live impossible situations
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I will be getting the ping pong routine tomorrow.
the ping pong sticks are much cheaper than the kovari sticks but I'm not buying either, so far, for personal use.

if anyone wants either of those and is willing to give me an honest review, contact me for a good price on them.

pete biro has a great routine.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Who has a really surprising climax for his routine. This seems to me to be a problem with the chinese sticks.
Magic is the art of emotionally sharing live impossible situations
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
French magician Dany Ray used to have a good finish.
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
The best has to be Pete's plumber routine. I saw him do that the first time I met him about 10 years ago and I had never laughed so hard.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
You lie Pepka. You laughed harder when I tried to bowl.
Angelo the Magician
View Profile
Loyal user
Vienna(Austria/Europe)
217 Posts

Profile of Angelo the Magician
Quote:
On 2008-06-06 20:16, marty.sasaki wrote:
I was fooled the first time I saw the Pom-Pom sticks. When I learned how the Chinese sticks work I was doubly fooled by the pom-pom. Eventually I figured it out.

With all of the high tech stuff going on, I've heard some really amazing explanation of the Chinese sticks. One of my favorites was an electric motor in each stick connected to a little bit of radio controlled circuitry. When one stick senses the tassel is being pulled down, the other stick turns on the motor, and vice versa.

I almost wanted to divulge the secret to prove them wrong.

That is the problem: Spectators find a solution, it is the wrong solution, but it is one and that's enough for them. "The performer is a bad magician! We detect his methods."

I claim nowadays in our technical time we have to think about many tricks if they appear as magic - chinese sticks and pom pom poles are two of them!

Angelo
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Biro's routine has a great ending.

Posted: Aug 14, 2008 4:50pm
Well I checked out the ping pong routine and was not super impressed BUT I am glad I got the booklet because his Sam The Bellhop routine has some very unique humor in it that I do like. Not all of it is PG material but quite funny. It's worth it just for that.

I still have no idea about the sticks themselves.
Farrell
View Profile
Veteran user
371 Posts

Profile of Farrell
The ping & pong sticks are phenomenal!
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
What makes the "Phenomenal" ???
Farrell
View Profile
Veteran user
371 Posts

Profile of Farrell
Very very smooth operation very quiet. No need to tilt the Sticks back to an extreme angle. Makes kovari sticks look like junk... I've bought over six sets of sticks this year and all have sucked until these.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
How much are they and where do you get them?
Farrell
View Profile
Veteran user
371 Posts

Profile of Farrell
150$ murphys
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Quote:
On 2008-08-15 16:13, Farrell wrote:
Very very smooth operation very quiet. No need to tilt the Sticks back to an extreme angle. Makes kovari sticks look like junk... I've bought over six sets of sticks this year and all have sucked until these.

wow. that's quite a good review. I don't do the routine but this makes me want to jump in the pool! Anyone want to split an extra set of sticks or get a set of 3?

I'll make sure you get a ridiculous price on the set/etxra.