The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: Borrowing a person's ring? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
spencerpeterson
View Profile
Regular user
New York City
186 Posts

Profile of spencerpeterson
I always borrow the ring and I'm always extremely careful with it, nothing has ever happened to me.
www.cleardeception.wordpress.com

The Magic of Spencer Peterson
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
Quote:
On 2007-12-27 22:52, spencerpeterson wrote:
I always borrow the ring and I'm always extremely careful with it, nothing has ever happened to me.

Just because nothing has happened yet, doesn't mean anything will not, lol.
It reminds me of the guy that threw himself off the Empire State building, every so many floors on the way down he said to himself, "So far, so good..."

Not once in this thread has anyone mentioned the most important thing, if you're borrowing someones valuables, make sure you have insurance!!! If you don't, then don't borrow.

Certainly the impact is far greater with a borrowed ring than your own, because it negates the possible solution of duplicates. Good advice has been given about the types of rings it is better to use (though why do you come to the conclusion a man's wedding band may be not so valuable?). The ring and person should be treated with a great deal of respect, and cheap insult jokes about the ring avoided (so seventy-ish). You can have humourous lines that are not negative, or simply pass praise on how nice the ring is.

Paul.
(past performer of ring in salt, ring to key-case, ring to card case, Grinda-ring, etc.and past performer of borrowed watch onto knotted rope - until the watch strap broke Smile)
Dollarbill
View Profile
Inner circle
Colorado
1005 Posts

Profile of Dollarbill
How about letting the spectator remove your ring off of your finger to examine (or just hold for you) while you pattter and then go into your ring and ribbon? hope this helps. db
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
PLEASE look at Richard Sanders' Interlace. It eliminates the reel and the ring ends up tied to your shoelace. It's the safest of all ring flights. I also own Just in Case, which is good but I feel that Interlace is MUCH MUCH better and gets much better reactions because it seems more impossible.
nonvpro
View Profile
Inner circle
1844 Posts

Profile of nonvpro
I feel the sameway as twistedace. Simply can't do any better than Interlace. Really not much of a chance losing the spectators ring. I also own Just in Case and in comes in a far second to Interlace.
Christopher Williams
View Profile
Inner circle
Portsmouth, UK
4465 Posts

Profile of Christopher Williams
By saying no to Ring flights I think is a bad idea...i think people need to remember that ANY trick can go wrong really, and that with care, ALL tricks should go right, so why should a Ring Flight. I too haven't had a problem yet, but haven't used a ring flight for almost a year now. I am going to get Just in Case though I think. Really inspect the spectators ring first. There are many gags you can use, like get out a magnifying glass and look at the stones etc, check it out, and point out some features if there are any. If there are any stones missing, point it out like 'Oh it's one of these fashion rings which come with some stones missing, collect the whole set is it?' or something where the spectator knows there are bad points to start with. If at the end there is a stone missing, they could say it was you. So make sure you point it out at the start. Or any scratches, you could say 'You know, jewellers inscribe these a lot better, you don't have to do it yourself Smile'...all small gags, which cover yourself on any features. With care, you shouldn't damage it. I do recommend NOT using reels though, as you have no idea what it can do on impact of retracting etc, or snapping. Most will disgaree with what I say, but I say that all with personal experience and practice
www.magicman13.co.uk

Copies of the limited edition 'MindPlay' still available
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5451 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Do the trick that works for you! Do a search on Ring Flight and you’ll find several threads discussing and comparing the reel based and various non-reel based versions. The trick kills using a borrowed ring. Paul hit it on the head. Have insurance.

There are a number of reel based RF routines in print that don’t have the ring traveling a great distance (see Bruce Cervon handling and Dick Barry’s routine as examples).

Re-read the advice on borrowed rings above and consider the tips when borrowing a ring. Billy McComb used an eye loupe (magnifier) as a comedy prop to get a joke and laugh in his routine, but more importantly he examined the ring for loose stones, scratches, etc. If the ring had a loose stone he pointed it out and borrowed a different ring.

I tend to not use a reel based ring flight (see my discussion elsewhere on the Café). But I do the trick and so far have not had a problem. I know that my name is Murphy and I am not exempt from the law so I have taken Paul’s advice and have insurance.

My thought is that if a trick causes you anxiety then don’t do it!
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
magico563
View Profile
Veteran user
UK, sheffield.
381 Posts

Profile of magico563
I have been doing interlace for a long time now but I use it for a diffrent routine so I think I decided to just use my interlace for the endding of my routine and like people have said it is much safer that a ring flight!!

Thanks, magico563:-)
obuch
View Profile
Regular user
197 Posts

Profile of obuch
I want to start using borrowed rings to tricks like with coins but should I take risk ? let say I borrow ring and I'm changing it into coin and back, I can perform ring thing while having ring just on tip of index finger. and I'm already doping coin and ring transpo. I liked apollo when he did litle ring tricks like french drop and something like that. should I borrow? I don't do ring flights or anything like that. so its not so risky right?
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3712 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
I would, but that's just me. I've never had a problem with the Morelli.

Jim
rmendez
View Profile
Inner circle
San Antonio, Texas
1255 Posts

Profile of rmendez
Ring Flights with reels are inherently dangerous which has kept me far away from such devices. I am; however, always on the lookout for the best reel-less ring flights. I have seen Sander's Interlace and although the effect is impressive, the preparation alone was enough to put me off. Also, fumbling with a clasp is not something I am looking for either as timing is everything in my ring and string routine.

To me, in order for this effect to be practical, it must be simple and direct with little to no reset needed. Viking's Card To Wallet Plus, The Russian Wallet, and Ring Finale seem best suited for me. The added comedy of costume jewelry made Ring Finale sound even more appealing.
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5965 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I use Dusheck's Ringer. Works great, it's gentle to the ring and the ring is always in my hand. Reels make me uncomfortable.
rmendez
View Profile
Inner circle
San Antonio, Texas
1255 Posts

Profile of rmendez
My review on Ring Finale by Rich Hurley & Dean Dill can be found here http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......um=109&0 In my professional opinion, its actually more work to load the ring into anything then to use this version.
happyslappys
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of happyslappys
Never let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game.
FunTimeAl
View Profile
Special user
987 Posts

Profile of FunTimeAl
I just bought about $50 worth of belly button rings...multiples in 5 different colors.

I no longer borrow rings. I just display the color selection and allow the spec to make a free choice.

I have one routine that begins with magician's choice (force) and ends with free choice.

It's part of my cups and balls finale. I can't wait to get the thing on YouTube. Dunno why. Don't really want anyone hacking it...but I'm a bit or an ego maniac and I want all my due ego stroking for having come up with it!!!
John McLaughlin
View Profile
Veteran user
Gloucester, Massachusetts
393 Posts

Profile of John McLaughlin
I know this is a very old thread, but I just started doing pro-flite. Not mich chance of loosing or damaging ring....but what do you do in situations where the spectator can't remove the ring from his/her finger? Kind of an awkward pause to the routine, me waiting him struggling. I'm thinking I'll just say don't worry about it I'll just use my ring, but was wondering what kind of experiences some of you have had in the past with this situation.
...NSA John McLaughlin, not CIA John McLaughlin
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
John,

You need to be very careful who you ask!! Don’t ever ask any specific person for their ring. Instead, ask for someone to volunteer to lend you their ring. Yes, once you ask - as you recently discovered - and find out they cannot easily remove the ring, you have left that person in an embarrassing situation: you can just wait, silently, as they struggle. Or you can say, "Oh, never mind then, I'll use someone else's ring. Either way you have pretty much humiliated them.

Much better to ask for a volunteer as people who have overly tight rings won't (hopefully) respond.

Hope this helps!

Jim
whiteoakcanyon
View Profile
Special user
899 Posts

Profile of whiteoakcanyon
Pro-Flight is a ring to keychain which eliminates the ring safety concern. I just recently purchased this item so I have not yet performed with it, thus can not speak in depth about it.
maps
View Profile
Inner circle
1124 Posts

Profile of maps
If they can't rmove the ring,how about going into a finger chopper routine?
the heart is where the magic begins
Visit my website
[www.mascotsandpuppets.com]
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
The first reel-less Ringflight routine to appear was a baby from Gaetan Bloom's incredible brain (using a TT): just brilliant and without any risk.
Now Stephen Tucker had a completely impromptu routine where after the ring was borrowed and the keys to his car had been entrusted to the lending spectator, the ring was vanished and reappearing on the key ring in the spectator's fist "since the beginning".
Magic is the art of emotionally sharing live impossible situations