The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: Flipstick anyone? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
His book, The Royal Touch it is also on the DVD Art of Street Performing, New Orleans, Volume II

Tony
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17429 Posts

Profile of joseph
Sounds like Flip's routine would be the way to start?..
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Quote:
On 2007-06-17 00:10, Tony Iacoviello wrote:
His book, The Royal Touch it is also on the DVD Art of Street Performing, New Orleans, Volume II

Tony

Thanks, Tony
Alexander Wells
View Profile
Veteran user
311 Posts

Profile of Alexander Wells
I love Flipstick. I would say that of the two resources I've seen for learning it, Shoot Ogawa's DVD is the better. I have the Royal Touch by Cellini and it has a nice short routine which will get you into the basics but Shoot's DVD goes into so much detail. He explains the basic move very well and spoke of some details which I'd really not been able to glean from Cellini. He also details many variations on the move including vanishes with silks and productions. My Flipstick is improving massively now.

I saw him do his routine at Blackpool at the weekend and was blwn away. I went to the convention with the express intention of seeing him perform it and was not disappointed.
:D
FunTimeAl
View Profile
Special user
987 Posts

Profile of FunTimeAl
Harry Lorayne's explanation in Tarbell is great. I was just reading it tonight and then happened upon this thread.

I can't believe how much is in those books. I feel like I'm reading some wizard's tomb from a Harry Potter movie...
Zyr
View Profile
New user
I'm going to Lowes and buying
2 Posts

Profile of Zyr
Has anyone heard of flipsticking a CD? I heard an interview with someone saying they can do it, but logisticly it would have to involve another step.
Alexander Wells
View Profile
Veteran user
311 Posts

Profile of Alexander Wells
Kind of like a giant retention vanish? First finger and thumb stay roughly stationary but the second finger does the work?
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2013-08-18 21:24, Zyr wrote:
Has anyone heard of flipsticking a CD? I heard an interview with someone saying they can do it, but logisticly it would have to involve another step.

I guess you could call the Tenkai Palm and T. Nelson Down's Coin Palm a sort of Flipstick action but I would not. The name Flipstick describes the move and effect perfectly as Flipstick or "Flipping A Stick like object". If any other term were to be used it would be not be a Flipstick move.

I guess you could call the Tenkai Palm and T. Nelson Down's Coin Palm a sort of Flipstick action but I would not.

What your question is inquiring about is that the CD manipulation moves described with a CD are similar to the Tenkai Palm, but most CD moves with standard size CDs use a variation of the Tenkai Palm, utilizing the thumb inserted in a certain position, thus it would not be called a an actual Tenkai Palm. The finger movement and "grip" are totally different when compared to the Flipstick move an hold.

I also believe Paul Gertner's routine with the Flipstick moves using a Wand was the most magical close-up presentation I have ever witnessed. He used it to introduce his Magic Lectures, just fabulous with his matching patter to introduce himself. I wish he would publish this little routine. It was very magical to witness from 5 feet away.