The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: Favorite Ring and String/ Ring to wallet routine (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
A.G.
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver- Canada
960 Posts

Profile of A.G.
Thanks, The routine you saw is not going to be released any time soon...Its been a pet effect for around 10 years now.

thanks for the kind words,
Gerard
Well then...
rmendez
View Profile
Inner circle
San Antonio, Texas
1255 Posts

Profile of rmendez
I just started performing Gregory Wilson's Ring Leader routine and love it but then again, this is the only routine I have ever seen. Can someone recommend a routine they like better? PM me. Thank you.

Also, can anyone recommend a place to get those velvet cords that he is using in the DVD? I originally purchased the video and got one but when I purchased the DVD, it came with a lame shoe string and ribbon. Guess they could no longer get them.
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4770 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
In my new upcoming book, Kingdom of the Red, there are two ring routines. One uses a ring and rope (3 inch ring and rope) and is part of a longer "Comedy Rope and Ring Routine". Any part of it could stand alone.

The second is a finger ring and cord routines called "Wedding Ring Redux" which uses some original moves. That routine is performed in verse.. It can be performed with a velvet cord (my preference) or a rope or a shoelace/string.

The book will be published Aug 31 this year.
See below for link:

Larry
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4770 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
Here's a photo of me doing my Comedy Ring and Rope Routine which is in chapter 3 of the book.

By the way, I found a source for the velvet cords (like Gregory Wilson uses) in a number of colors but I had to buy them in bulk from a Trim supplier in the Garment Center in NYC. I will be selling them from my website once the book (Kingdom of the Red) is ready to ship and the website is set to accept payments for the new book. I may also give away some of these cords to book purchasers from the Café at some point.

I also will be selling two types of rings from the website. One is like the one in the picture and another is thinner and much lighter.

The 21st Century Coin Mechanics website of course is still running until I'm out of books and it accepts Paypal, check or MO.
Phil Thomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Newark, Ohio
1117 Posts

Profile of Phil Thomas
I have always used the ImMAKulate Ring Flite. I bought it years ago, and it still serves me well, although if it is a quiet situation, it can be a little noisy, but all in all, it's not that bad.
"If we lose the sense of the mysterious, life is no more than a snuffed out candle."

Albert Einstein
matt.magicman
View Profile
Inner circle
Mars
1527 Posts

Profile of matt.magicman
Quote:
On 2007-04-18 20:03, close-up wrote:
I might add that many times when I perform Dan Fleshman's routine, I end up with the borrowed ring vanishing and ending up in a sealed envelope aka "signed card to seal envelope".

is this the one on the jailhouse dvd, or is it a finger ring routine?
if so, where can I find it?
thanks
matt
dooblehorn
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburg, CA
2512 Posts

Profile of dooblehorn
I'm considering the Malloy version, as I don't have any version of this type of effect....two questions:

Can the wallet be used for other effects?
Does it require wearing any particular clothing?
Mediocre the Great
View Profile
Inner circle
Rich Hurley
1062 Posts

Profile of Mediocre the Great
Yes, you can use doug's wallet for a card to wallet routine.

Yes, you will need to wear a coat with an inside pocket.

Doug's ring to wallet routine is one of my workers. However, Becuase I often don't wear a jacket, I developed "Ring Finale". Ring Finale does not require use of a jacket. In fact, I have a routine using Ring Finale and Doug's routine which is a lot of fun! PM me for details.
Mediocrity is greatly under rated!
--------------------------------------------

Rich Hurley aka Mediocre The Great!
www.RichHurleyMagic.com
Christopher Williams
View Profile
Inner circle
Portsmouth, UK
4465 Posts

Profile of Christopher Williams
I hope to be able to bring an exceptional one to the market. It is not mine, I was making a guest lectue spot an afterwards was shown a routine called 'Ring, string and ding', and it really was a joy to watch, and EVERYONE there all agreed how brilliant it looked. I was in talks with the person about bringing it to the market, but I have lost their information. Once I can find it again I will definitely be looking at getting it to the rest of the Magic world
www.magicman13.co.uk

Copies of the limited edition 'MindPlay' still available
matt.magicman
View Profile
Inner circle
Mars
1527 Posts

Profile of matt.magicman
Hey chris
I guess you are talking about the gary jones lecture in dorchester last november?
have you had any luck with pushing the release?
I saw it, and yep...it great!
cheers mate
matt wainwright
gjmagic
View Profile
Special user
UK
974 Posts

Profile of gjmagic
Quote:
On 2008-05-23 18:45, matt.magicman wrote:
Hey chris
I guess you are talking about the gary jones lecture in dorchester last november?
cheers mate
matt wainwright

Hi Matt,

Yes it was after my lecture, the guy is called Paul Highland. I did an award ceremony gig with him last Thursday and he was getting great reactions with this effect.

Chris, I'll email you Paul's details.

All the best,

Gary Jones.
MIMC Gold Star

www.garyjonesmagic.com

gary@garyjonesmagic.com

DVDs/Effects; The Unknown - iCandy - More iCandy 1 & 2 - Dupes - 52 0n 1 Project - 74% Self Working - Flying Tonight - Pocket This - 6 Pack Coins - 6 Pack Cards - Thought Wave - Noted - Duality - Live Lecture Vol 1 - Pseudo Pickpocket - iContact - Shock Twist - Thought of Cards Across Plus - Touched - Colour Diffusion - Look No Hands Wayne Dobson - Automata - Box Pad - No Frills Lecture Notes 1 & 2 - The Ammo - Double Cross - Initial Here - Automata 2 - Black Market - Trick Soup - Automata 3 - Penguin Live Lecture - Upper Hand - Cartoon Capers - At The Table Lecture - Life's a Beach Vol 1 - Life's A Beach Vol 2 - Alas Chris and Jones.
aussiemagic
View Profile
Special user
937 Posts

Profile of aussiemagic
Does anyone have any information on "Ring, String and capital Gain" by Loren Christopher Michaels?

And, where can I see Dan Garrets routine? Is it available?

Thanks
How to become a professional magician:
Click here
Christopher Williams
View Profile
Inner circle
Portsmouth, UK
4465 Posts

Profile of Christopher Williams
Quote:
On 2008-05-24 21:09, gjmagic wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-05-23 18:45, matt.magicman wrote:
Hey chris
cheers mate
matt wainwright

Hi Matt,

Yes it was after my lecture, the guy is called Paul Highland. I did an award ceremony gig with him last Thursday and he was getting great reactions with this effect.

Chris, I'll email you Paul's details.

All the best,

Gary Jones.
http://www.garyjonesmagic.com

That was it! Very good routine, and all going well, should be able to offer the routine to the Magic community!
www.magicman13.co.uk

Copies of the limited edition 'MindPlay' still available
Terry H
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of Terry H
My routine called Stringing You Along is published in the One-man Parade in the March'08 Linking Ring. It uses a John Bannon idea from Impossibilia in a different way for the finale.
matt.magicman
View Profile
Inner circle
Mars
1527 Posts

Profile of matt.magicman
Hi chris
any idea of a time scale with this one mate?
cheers
matt
rmendez
View Profile
Inner circle
San Antonio, Texas
1255 Posts

Profile of rmendez
Lately, I've had much success using Viking's Card To Wallet Plus http://www.vikingmagic.com/?nd=full&key=485 for the impossible location finale of a spectator's borrowed finger ring at the conclusion of the Ring & String routine (Gregory Wilson's Ring Leader) that I am currently performing which by the way leads quite nicely into another of Wilson's effects - The Hundy 500. Whats funny, the money clip of one dollar bills in the wallet are even offered to the spectator during the routine after my credit card is refused as a consolation prize! Does anyone have any other recommendations for potential Coin/Ring wallets available?
enigmagik32
View Profile
Regular user
117 Posts

Profile of enigmagik32
Hi Everyone out there in Magic land noticed this old post and thought id say that Ring String and Ding by Paul Hyland has finally been released by Workers Corner, I bought this at Blackpool this year, and can say that it is one of the best ring and string routines I have seen in a very long time, the routine is very engaging and I'm sure I will have fun learning and performing it. The film work is supurb and the overhead shots along with Paul's instruction make it easier to learn.

Enigmagik32
Corbett
View Profile
Inner circle
Indiana
1163 Posts

Profile of Corbett
This has been mentioned before, but I've gotten a lot of mileage from my routines generated from Gregory Wilson's Ring Leader. Such valuable and numerous moves taught on this DVD. And, it's fun to perform.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6792 Posts

Profile of videoman
The Doug Malloy ring routine doesn't seem to have a video on his website anymore. Anyone know where I can find it?
Thanks,
Bill
Aaron Smith Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
1447 Posts

Profile of Aaron Smith Magic
I use a routine by Jason Alexander, it is absolutely brilliant. The bit can be found on "West Coast Conjurer's. A video put out by Tony Clark. It's a typical 1-2-3 routine with a climax of the ring vanishing, and traveling to the card case that has been on the table in full view since the beginning of the routine.

This routine produces the same, if not better, reactions to those seen on Malloy's demo. I just cannot justify spending 180 dollars on a ring & string effect. I already know that I'm going to get flamed for saying that.

IMO, I just do not understand why certain dealers find it necessary to mark items up SO much?! I mean, I just bought a El Duco card to wallet from Joe Stevens for 25 bucks. Add to that a cord, a laminated bill, and a typical blank paper to bill gimmick, plus a 3 phase ring routine, and I just created this routine for 30 bucks.

Before the ethics police start coming after me, I must say that I do believe in supporting creators, and I do believe in NOT stealing othere creators material. The point of all of this, why spend 180 dollars on an obviously overpriced routine, when you can perform a routine of equal caliber using items you already have?

Those will argue.. "Doug says that his agents book him specifically becuase of this routine" and "180 dollars is worth it considering how much I've made back on my shows". To a layman, whether or not you produce a ring from a wallet or a card box, I believe the effect, to them, is identical. It's the presentation, and your ability to efficiently entertain, that will have your clients continue to call. Not whether or not you spent 180 dollars on a ring & string routine. Just my 2 cents.

Best,
Aaron