The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: Pearl Poodle (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
OK Joseph
I got the Mardi Gras bead twisting book, and it was disappointing there is very little in it, and I don't think it's worth the price. The other book I have high expectations for, but I won't have it for a couple weeks, so I will be in touch.
Al Angello
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
GlenD
View Profile
Inner circle
LosAngeles, Ca
1293 Posts

Profile of GlenD
Another presentational idea or way of introducing the little pearl string that I have used is to have a complete clam shell (I purchased one that was actually hinged and can snap closed like a coin purse). I glued one of the pearls inside. I display it opened and have the string of pearls balled up in my hand underneath the open shell. You can come up with any patter you want and when you're ready you tilt your hand slightly and pull the beads up along an edge of the shell bottom. The pearls appear and to come out of the shell and will make a little noise as they slide and bump along the edge of the shell.
It's just a little extra touch but is'nt necessary, just making and giving away the poodles is cool.

GlenD
"A miracle is something that seems impossible but happens anyway" - Griffin

"Any future where you succeed, is one where you tell the truth." - Griffin (Griffin rocks!)
Euangelion
View Profile
Special user
688 Posts

Profile of Euangelion
Pearl Snowflake, wasn't she a saloon singer back in the 50s. Someone said she was very cool, baby.

I have done a pearl dog routine for years. Use the string of pearls, shuttle pass to the spectator's hand. Get the magic wand of transformation out of my pocket, ditch, and proceed to the finish where the snake has turned from a creature of emnity to man's best friend.
Bill Esborn

"Lutefisk: the piece of cod that passes all understanding."
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
This Euangelion is quite a man of the cloth, who apperantly has been around the block a time or two. You're my kind of Rev.
HAVE FUN
Al Angello
Andre Hagen
View Profile
Inner circle
1432 Posts

Profile of Andre Hagen
Like Al Angello, I was disappointed in the Mardi Gras Bead Twisting book. I also bought Robert Neale's book "Zoo Magic" and was equally disappointed.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Magicgrandpa
We agree. There is only a small bit of worthwhile info availible in both books put together. The star was nice, and the Elephant was also nice, but for twenty six dollars for both books there was very little bang for the buck.
HAVE FUN
Al Angello
Marvello
View Profile
Inner circle
It's amazing how little I can say in
1612 Posts

Profile of Marvello
AL- nice new avatar. I never knew you were related to Buddy Hackett
Never criticize someone else until you have walked a mile in their shoes. Then, when you do criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes.
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17428 Posts

Profile of joseph
Quote:
On 2006-08-06 13:54, Al Angello wrote:
Magicgrandpa
We agree. There is only a small bit of worthwhile info availible in both books put together. The star was nice, and the Elephant was also nice, but for twenty six dollars for both books there was very little bang for the buck.
HAVE FUN
Al Angello

Al, are you talking about the Neale book?....
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Joseph
The star, or snow flake is in the Mardi Gras bead twisting book. The Elephant is in the Neale book, everything else is pretty much ka ka poo poo. I hope I have made myself clear.
HAVE FUN
Al Angello
magicbern
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong, China
1220 Posts

Profile of magicbern
Quote:
On 2006-07-17 16:23, MagiUlysses wrote:
Greetings and Salutations,

I believe there is an ad in the latest issue of "Magic" promoting the book. If I recall reading it correctly, Neale describes 20 something animals, etc. that can be made with the pearls. It's something like "Zoo Magic."

Joe in KC

I just got this book and I want to advise that about 90% of these models 9including robot, dinosaur etc) can only be formed with WIRED pearls and not the ordinary ones strung togethr with string. Although the main routine 'ZOO MAGIC' can be done (albeit modified and shortened) with the regular stringed pearls, most of the others can't. Therefore, those of you who are thinking of this need to consider the fact that such wired pearls may not be so easily accessible. However, Neale does give exact specifications and where to get these pearls in his book.

For me, the best 2 routines with the regular strand Poodle are the Larry Davidson and Paul Gallagher ones (both mentioned above).
magicbern
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong, China
1220 Posts

Profile of magicbern
Sorry, I assumed gallagher's routine was mentioned - but I was wrong. For those who are interested in this routine (a combo of Poodle and Glorpy) it can be found in his DVD 'Miracles from the Sock Drawer'. A GREAT DVD covered in other posts here on the forum.
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Boynton Beach, FL
5270 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
Quote:
On 2006-07-17 00:06, MagicMan1957 wrote:
"...Larry can you describe your pearl poodle routine?"

The magician makes a number of humorous shapes with the pearls and then makes the poodle, followed by some more humor using the poodle. Two cards are selected and lost back in the deck, and then the poodle finds both cards. The second revelation is particularly strong because the spectator holds the poodle and uses it to push out any card from the deck, and with no switching or other sleight of hand, the card is turned over and is shown to be the selection. Sometimes at the conclusion of the effect, I put the poodle in a miniature paper bag, a doggy bag, and as I hand it to the spectator to take home as a souvenir, the dog barks (using the Tenyo barking poodle gimmick). It's probably the easiest effect to perform, from a technical standpoint, on my entire 2-DVD set.

Magicbern, re. your second to last posting, thanks for sharing, I'm glad that you've enjoyed my routine.

Larry
magicbern
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong, China
1220 Posts

Profile of magicbern
You're most welcomed LArry - I really enjoyed the simple yet powerful structure of your routine, as well as the zany humour that preceeds the card selection! In fact the whole DVD set is immensely enjoyable as well as thought-provoking (your essay on scripting especially!). It is I who must thank you - on behalf of the magic fraternity - for deigning to share your creativity with us!
Michael Dustman
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
1229 Posts

Profile of Michael Dustman
I for one can attest to Larry's Poodle routine. I have been using it for about 2 months and when the spectator themselves find the last card, it brings a great reaction from everyone watching.

Thank you Larry for graciously sharing this routine.
Marvello
View Profile
Inner circle
1612 Posts

Profile of Marvello
Larry- where can I get your DVDs?
Never criticize someone else until you have walked a mile in their shoes. Then, when you do criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes.
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Boynton Beach, FL
5270 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
My pleasure gents. Marvello, PM sent.
Marvello
View Profile
Inner circle
1612 Posts

Profile of Marvello
Al-
does the star/snowflake or elephant also use a 16 string bead?
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
OK Marvello
The elephant is a dog with a longer nose, try 17 beads. I have not studied the snow flake yet. You have to understand the magic Café is like an information explosion to me, and I have an office full of new tricks, books, video demos, and DVD that I've only scratched the surface of. The good news is I am a long way from where I was before I joined the Café. I promise to study the snowflake this weekend, and get back to you on it.
HONEST
Al Angello
Marvello
View Profile
Inner circle
1612 Posts

Profile of Marvello
Thanks for the info. It would be cool if there were any other shapes you could twist with a 16 bead strand. I will play around and see if anything comes to mind.
kevinjanet
View Profile
New user
23 Posts

Profile of kevinjanet
Greetings,
I have been making poodles for years. My favorites are standard poodle, the reindeer and something I call the racing poodle. Why would you need a racing poodle you say? Well I was looking for something for younger boys that thought the regular poodle was too "girly" One day I made a mistake when making the standard 17 pearl poodle I accidentally made a 3 bead head instead of the normal 4 bead one. that left me with an extra long tail. The kids laughed and said "What's that?" I said "Uh ... tha't s a racing poodle! You see, the streamlined head makes it go faster and the long tail gives it stability!" The boys in the group immediately shouted out "I want one I want one!" I have been making them ever since but now I use red pearls for the racing ones and pink Or purple pearls for the normal ones.
(Just say the phrase "Purple pearly poodles" a few times and you'll see how much fun it i!

NEWS: I just found a new supplier
http://factorydirectcraft.com/catalog/pr......eet.html

The pearls twist well and they come in lots of colors!