The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: Torn and Restored Newspaper (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
DPE

Do you mean that it is reset-able and repeatable?

Mike
Quote:
I believe Johnny Brown had a version of Gene Anderson's that was repeatable.

Mike Squires

Where can this be obtained from?

Are any of the others repeatable? Or is the gimmick reusable (just replace the torn paper with fresh?)

Does anyone know the name of Anderson's book that has this?

Thanks
John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
kOnO
View Profile
Special user
548 Posts

Profile of kOnO
The name of Anderson's book is 'Newspaper Magic - Gene Anderson'
He also has VIDEO & DVD on the torn and restored Newspaper available from Steven's Magic.

Great effect and on the video Mr Anderson explains how this is repeatable by replacing the gimic with fresh paper.

kOnO
It is a lot easier to get older than it is to get wiser.
Frank Simpson
View Profile
Special user
SW Montana
884 Posts

Profile of Frank Simpson
I have been doing Gene Anderson's for over 20 years, and it has been so good to me that I've never even thought to look at another. After reading this thread I'm intrigued to learn about the others, but honestly I don't think I would ever switch to another method. For pacing, visual appeal, simplicity of props/preparation, it is a perfect fit for my show.
Montethrower
View Profile
Elite user
a little town in nowhere
422 Posts

Profile of Montethrower
Being paper-carriers, this is a great trick for customers. The gimmick was a little frustrating at first but neat after it was done. I should get some extra X-Mas tips this year...Smile
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
Thanks, I found it.

When I asked about repeatable, I meant in a strolling situation, with a brief oppportunity at privacy if needed. Would this work?

I would be more inclined to get the book, would it also have this information?

Thanks
John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10972 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
For strolling the Joel Bauer routine can be done surronded..
and the restored paper can even be tossed on the floor ,remember this is a 3 second torn and restored effect,,,,,
the godfather
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
Steve Haffner
View Profile
Regular user
Kentucky
108 Posts

Profile of Steve Haffner
How difficult is Anderson's to set up? The Elmsley version looks good, but is a bit time-consuming to get it ready for action.

Thanks.

- Steve
Frank Simpson
View Profile
Special user
SW Montana
884 Posts

Profile of Frank Simpson
I can set up the Gene Anderson effect in about 3 minutes. It's not good for "impromptu", although I have had "the necessaries" in my kit and have made one up at a client's request.
jezza
View Profile
Elite user
469 Posts

Profile of jezza
What is the torn and restored newspaper Lance Burton does on his tv special (that looked quite magicial)
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
I tried the Anderson tear. I couldn't get it to work. (To be fair, whenever I've seen it, the magician has used full size "New York Times" style paper. The paper I used was a tabolid size freebie because I could get a lot of them for nothing.)

It takes me a LOT longer than 3 minutes to put together an Anderson set. So it's kind of a pain to try and put together enough to have on hand to practice enough to make it smooth!

Having said that, I may still try because it is the most magical restoration.

I like the Slydini tear, but the last time I bought it at Tannen's, I got detail description of how to prepare the paper, then the actual tear instructions read; "Now follow along with the enclosed illustrations to tear and restore the paper." The next page was a lot of BADLY reproduced photos of Slydini tearing and restoring the paper! I know for a fact that the way you turn the paper and how you handle the individual pieces is important. You can't see any of that in these badly reproduced pictures!

Is the Slydini tear fully described in any of Slydini's books? And is that book still available?
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
Daktari
View Profile
Regular user
USA
154 Posts

Profile of Daktari
The one Lance Burton does is Neil Foster's Center Tear.
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10972 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Bauer's resets in three seconds right under spectators noses
vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
magicmanila
View Profile
New user
Washington DC
88 Posts

Profile of magicmanila
You could actually TEAR the "No-tear" in the begginning,:D but I think that's too much work for others, LOL!!! I suggest that you modify the g*****k though, 'cause sometimes when I flip it too hard it detatches itself (thank god it never happened during performance) Although I havent seen the others yet, I like the Anderson method. Ill try to check out the others soon.
PERFORM MAGIC AND NOT "PUZZLES" so the audience wont try to "figure out how its done".

KEEP THE MAGIC ALIVE!!!
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
I have two presentations of the Slydini tear. One is a Candanian production called "The Magic Show" (No relation to Doug's more famous production of the same title.) Shari Lewis hosts a number of magicians (Mark Wilson, Randi, Flip, et al) and at one point does a cheesy skit on what a "Mandrake the Magician" musical might look like. She plays Mandrake's girlfriend, the princess, and at one point as they're on a subway, she performs the Slydini tear as a demonstration of how to make your paper easier to read on a crowded subway.

The other presentation can be found in the DVD set "Ed Sullivan presents the Beatles." The entire episodes of Ed's program are reproduced on this DVD set and one of the episodes had Fantasio performing several effects (no candles or canes though). One is the Slydini tear. (The other disk has Fred Kaps doing a card trick and his salt pour!)
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
garcia00
View Profile
Elite user
443 Posts

Profile of garcia00
I want to do this for my class at school, and have not done it for 30 years or so, and lost the gimmick. What kind of material is being used to make it? I have tried Home Depot, Lowes, ect, and could find nothing satisfactory.

Any help would be appreciated. I just need a couple sources for the raw material for the gimmick. I remember all the rest, but can't recall what I made my original from.
manal
View Profile
Inner circle
York ,PA.
1412 Posts

Profile of manal
Try metal banding strap used to hold boxes on skids for the metal part when making the Koran gimmick.
Life is too important to take seriously.

james@jamesmanalli.com

www.jamesmanalli.com
YVRDave
View Profile
Regular user
Vancouver, BC
104 Posts

Profile of YVRDave
Not sure why you had so much trouble finding it - I went to my local hardware store (Home Hardware) and bought 18 gauge galvinized wire. It works just fine for me.
Conus
View Profile
Special user
657 Posts

Profile of Conus
Danny Tong distributes a version of Jimmy Wray's T&R paper. Danny's setup is fast and easy.

Also, Pat Page's "10 second tear" is a great piece of semi-impromptu work.
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15110 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
Although it does take time to make it each time, I still find Gene Anderon's Torn and restored newspaper to be by far the best restoration effect of the paper around. I have tried others, but the sheer moment of having and clearly showing shredded paper and the follwing motion of it restoring has people swearing that the paper indeed restored magically as it fell. It just has been such a powerful moment for me. I recall before I became a magician that I simply loved that effect as a lay person. It just works for me.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
Matt Pulsar
View Profile
Inner circle
1130 Posts

Profile of Matt Pulsar
Anyone know of a method which allows you to tear and restore twice in a row?
Belief Manifests Reality.
Nebula CT: https://www.penguinmagic.com/p/8517