The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: Which reel would you recommend? (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
wally
View Profile
Inner circle
1831 Posts

Profile of wally
Which reel should I buy, I want to make a silk jump from table about5" away from me, jump to my hand??
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2597 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
I currently do the silk through mic stand in my act and have had difficulties with the various reels I've used.

The main issue is getting a powerful, small and smooth working reel with a strong reliable thread . I have bought a couple from Magicus in Barcelona. They where 65 Euros each.

I had to take them apart and replace the thread with button thread. The thread that comes with the reel just wasn't up to the job. As the thread is covered by the hankercheif during the effect there are non visability issues concerning it. I have also had to re-tension the spring by having it coiled tighter when 'at rest' (ie without the thread extended).

Annoyingly one of them works brilliantly and one of them doesn't. The one that doesn't is great when it works but it gets stuck from time to time so I can't use it in any shows. The spring in being coiled up to it's absolute maximum is trying to force it's way out of the tiny space between the centeral post and the metal plate that holds the spring in place. the tiniest part of one of the coils can catch in this tiny gap. I don't know why it happens with one but not the other.

I can't get the cheaper reels (from India) strong enough even by adjusting the spring's tension as much as possible so I can't concur with Pete's suggestion that cheap reels are ok.

As people have vouched for the Owen reel, the Fantasio Candle Pull, PM reel any more info on the suitability or problems specific to using them for the Silk Through Mic Stand would be most welcomed.

Cheers Neal.
Neal Austin

"The golden rule is that there are no golden rules." G.B. Shaw
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2597 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
Having just done a bit more research it turns out the reels I bought and adjusted from Magicus are actually Tannen's Utility reels.

Cheers Neal.
Neal Austin

Vibono Magic
View Profile
Special user
Växjö,Sweden
647 Posts

Profile of Vibono Magic
Quote:
On 2008-10-02 00:05, Pete Biro wrote:
Sadly, El Duco just died, and I don't know if the business will continue.

El Ducos Magic has been sold to Gay Ljungberg of Gycklaren Magic Marketing here in Sweden and it is his ambistion to continue with El Ducos stuff including the reel I think.
Otherwise you might try the Tim Starr reel I saw him demonstrate it in his Lecture last October and it seems like a great reel.
Vibono Mirage
Magic entertainer and Balloon artist
Zaprig1
View Profile
Elite user
470 Posts

Profile of Zaprig1
Michael Ammar has a video demo of this effect as well with his "old" reel. I'm not sure what he uses, but I've been wanting one ever since I'd seen it! It does look like real (reel) magic! His reel seems to be silent which is what I'd want. How do the others match up sound wise?

Also, has anyone tried using one of these standard (cheap) business card/key reels that you can get at any office supply place? I'm not sure they would work, but might be good for practice etc. Perhaps someone even makes a decent one that's somewhat quiet? Thanks!
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
This reminds me, the best performer I've seen to the silk through mike stand was the late Duke Stern.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2597 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
Zaprig1 I've had a go with several office supply bought key reels. Even the more sizable ones haven't had enough oomph to them even after I've re tensioned the spring (That's for the ones you can get into. Many of them are riveted shut or heat sealed.)

But if anyone has found one that works let us know.

Neal.
Neal Austin

Zaprig1
View Profile
Elite user
470 Posts

Profile of Zaprig1
Thanks for the info Sealegs! I don't think I'll waste my time unless someone answers differently.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
http://www.stevensmagic.com has "kirkendall reels" CAN'T BEAT 'EM
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Zaprig1
View Profile
Elite user
470 Posts

Profile of Zaprig1
Pete- that's going to be an "add to cart" then. Thanks for the link! Any references on other material besides the two obvious routines for its use?
disneywld
View Profile
Special user
Denver, CO
615 Posts

Profile of disneywld
Does anyone have a source for the explanation of the Silk thru Mike Stand?
The Magic of Christopher Manos
www.christophermanos.com
Douglas Lippert
View Profile
Inner circle
E Pluribus Unum
2343 Posts

Profile of Douglas Lippert
Quote:
On 2009-03-08 12:46, disneywld wrote:
Does anyone have a source for the explanation of the Silk thru Mike Stand?

A great learning source is on Vol. 1 of Michael Ammar's Easy To Master Thread Miracles.
Do you have a reel yet?

Have fun,

Doug L.
Douglas Lippert
Former I.B.M. Ring #8 Secretary
DanielCoyne
View Profile
Special user
Western Massachussetts
544 Posts

Profile of DanielCoyne
It's also in Rice's Encyclopedia of Silk Magic. (Not sure which volume -- I have them all on CD.)
snowpuppy
View Profile
Veteran user
Juneau,Alaska
326 Posts

Profile of snowpuppy
I'm kind of new to Thread Reels and have a few questions.1)I purchased the 2004 Thread Boss w/Kevlar Thread and The Standard one,The Boss got broken and I bought the Original 2000 Boss.I thought all of the Reels have Kevlar Thread,is it me or is the Thread on the 2004 stronger.2)I found a site called the Thread Exchange that sells Kevlar Thread.Does anyone know about this Thread?Thanks