The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: Best Linking Rings close-up routine (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
Ditto for the Ninja Rings and Shoot Ogawa's dvd.
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
The Ninja rings has very little patter included so you have to work to make it play well. Shoot gives good advice on showmanship on the DVD but could have made more of a point out of it. You have to work a little harder to connect with your audience.

Caphart's routine has more patter and more naturally focuses on the audience.

I like them both but I only perform the ninja routine.

I'm having a custom set of rings made for me right now. If you listen closely you might here the hammering and the bending of stainless steel.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
themagicofjoseph
View Profile
Loyal user
214 Posts

Profile of themagicofjoseph
In M.H.O.
I love the rings and been performing them for along time. This is my favorite effect since I was a kid. I think rings should be preformed with no "Patter", or very little. The best way I've found is to do it to music. This way you can "Create" your own personality and presentation. Try This. Put on a song with a good beat to it. It can either be fast (if you want a quick routine) or jazz type (I like Saxophone music). Now just let your mind go with the music and practice various links and unlinks to the music.

Remember to "Play" with the rings a bit before showing the linking and unlinking. Example: you want to link the ring in left hand to ring in right hand, you immediately link them. Then rub them against each other for a few seconds, then show the linking. In short, the link happens here, the magic (or linking) happens here. Give a small time frame before showing the link, gives it a more magical effect as they seem to "melt" together without no funny looking moves. In Xmas shows, I do my routine to Kenny G's Winter Wonderland.

Also by doing it to music, you release a creative side that just may find new moves. My routine base is from Jeff McBride’s Commando Routine Video with was excellent.
I don't care for the Ninja Rings for two reasons.
1) The gap is made too big for me (my gap is slightly larger than ring diameter)
And even adjusting it distorts ring too much.
2) It does not come with a "Full" set of rings as other pairs do

I suggest a small 5" regular set. Then develope a routine with the key and 2 singles, a routine using above and the two linked rings, a routine using tree linked instead of the two.
In tablehopping you maybe at the table a shorter time, or a bit longer, depends on the crowd and service. Also, I went to the dollar store and picked up a CD holder with a zipper and took out the inserts, sewed a loop on one side, now I have a nice pouch to carry the rings in when I tablehop. Didn't mean to be a lengthy post, but I love the links and like to help others when I can. If you like, email me at themagicofjoseph@hotmail.com
Put linking rings in subject so I know who the mail is from, if I don't know people, I delete it before it's open.
Magically,
Joseph
NMaggio
View Profile
New user
Nick Maggio
100 Posts

Profile of NMaggio
The best linking ring routine, in my opinion, is the one that produces the impression that something, other than a key ring, is in play. The Ninja Rings come as close to that as possible. Since every beginner's magic set contains the ubiquitous rings, the secret really isn't a secret. The Ninja Ring moves create substantial doubt in the audience's mind about the standard solution.

Yes, it is fun to practice and perfect.

Nick Maggio
Shawn R
View Profile
New user
Philadelphia PA
9 Posts

Profile of Shawn R
I have a set of rings my self and I just started getting into them. I'd like to get a video teaching me a simple but facinating routine. I herd of the "Whit Haydn's Comedy Four Ring Routine," but I was wondering how many minutes I could pull of with the video. Any oppinions?
-Shawn
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Really the only two routines to consider are Capehart's and the Ninja rings. Whit's is for a bigger audience. Cellini's is for the stage too. And Sankey's is for the drawer (when compared with the Ninja rings).
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7293 Posts

Profile of paisa23
I bought 3 Ring Circus about 3 years ago and jusst today decided to pick them up and play with them. I mean I like the idea just not sure if it is for me. Anyone oout there actually perform with these? I like the size and fit great for my walkaround as far as pocket space goes. Never Seen Shoots though... Heard great things though.
rikbrooks
View Profile
Inner circle
Olive Branch, Mississippi
1317 Posts

Profile of rikbrooks
You haven't seen my 'Liquid Rings' Frank. I often do the whole thing with the little Royal Magic 5" rings. I do it close up. It would remind you of Cellini or Richard Ross - except close up.
fanwun
View Profile
Regular user
172 Posts

Profile of fanwun
I'm putting my vote in for Chris Capehart's routine. I'm partial to his routine because he initially introduced me to the rings. I've also done this routine, close-up, with 10" rings in a restaurant. After doing the routine at two tables, everyone else that I approached requested to see the routine. Frank is right too, the reaction you get from the crash link, when someone is holding the other ring, is hard to beat. Their eyes literally almost pop out of their heads!

I also have used Jay Sankey's 3 Ring Circus. I have yet to use it in a restaurant though. I usually carry it with me when I go out to party. If worked on, it can presented nicely. Just a note to anyone performing it, it's best to do Capehart's Closer using a borrowed key ring. Let them hold their key ring, and leave them with it in the end. I love participation and that reaction is the only reason I even perform it. Otherwise, I'd follow suit with Frank and chuck in the drawer.
Eric Jones
View Profile
V.I.P.
Director of Product Development
2101 Posts

Profile of Eric Jones
Another vote for Chris Capehart here.

However, if he ever releases it, George Wang's ring routine is just as visual and just as sexy as the Ninja Rings. Maybe one day.........Smile
“We're two tigers away from an act in Vegas.” Greg House M.D.
<BR>
<BR>http://www.ericjonesmagic.com
tommy ng
View Profile
Veteran user
USA,Oregon
387 Posts

Profile of tommy ng
My Favorites is Reed McClintock routine. His linking the ring in midair by one hand is Cool.

and did someone know where can find the 5" ring?