The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: Favorite rubberband trick (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Dark
View Profile
Elite user
406 Posts

Profile of Dark
Traveling Tips in Dan Harlan's BandShark video gets great reactions for me, because its literally in the hands of the spectator.
rannie
View Profile
Inner circle
4375 Posts

Profile of rannie
I also love Stargazer. The emotional effect it has , served me well. I found in an obscure store somewhere in Asia a set of pre shaped bands that come in the form of rabbits, dogs cats monkeys , pigs etc... Best of all its color coded.

Rannie
"If you can't teach an old dog new tricks, trick the old dog to learn."

-Rannie Raymundo-
aka The Boss
aka The Manila Enforcer

www.rannieraymundo.com
www.tapm.proboards80.net
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17429 Posts

Profile of joseph
I would also give Stargazer my vote....People love it....
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
AqueousMagiK
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of AqueousMagiK
Yep crazymans handcuffs is the only rubberband trick I learnt how to perform
Aaron Farrugia
Richard Shippy
View Profile
Special user
Scottsdale, Arizona
510 Posts

Profile of Richard Shippy
CMH

Great and simple!
"They say that nobody is perfect. Then they tell you practice makes perfect. I wish they'd make up their minds." ~ Winston Churchill
lynnef
View Profile
Inner circle
1408 Posts

Profile of lynnef
Michael Ammar considers CMH a "classic rendition" ... and gives several tips on how to make the effect a classic part of any magic rountine in his book The Magic of Michael Ammar. Although the book is pricey. it's well worth all the other things you can learn as well as this classic rendition.
Sam Tabar
View Profile
Inner circle
Austin, Texas
1050 Posts

Profile of Sam Tabar
CMH! It's my favorite. It never fails to amaze my audience every time I perform it.
"Knowledge comes from finding the answers, but understanding what the answers mean is what brings wisdom." - Anonymous
Wells34
View Profile
Regular user
161 Posts

Profile of Wells34
The boomerang band is probably about the most impressive effect you could do with a band, but it is also pretty difficult. In the right hands its really cool.
magicsteve99
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of magicsteve99
I don't agree that rubberbands are less elegant than other props. In fact, their very ordinary familiar appearance can increase the magic feelings when the "impossible" happens. My vote for the second best effect is "up and down the ladder" by Dan Harlan. This one really gets a great response from the average spectator when performed with a good story line. My original patter involves a trip on "Magic Airlines." "Keep your hands and feet inside the plane at all times; don't forget your luggage; and thank you for flying Magic Airlines!"
Amazing Stephen
travisb
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver, BC
546 Posts

Profile of travisb
Rubberbands' lack of elegance is what makes them so strong for impromptu magic. I don't wear a ring, so I keep a couple of keyrings in my pocket and use them for Pinnacle and what have you. The nice thing about them is that people think you must be threading the bands onto the rings the "normal" way, but if you end with something like the Pinnacle "miracle finish"--which happens instantly and without any "moviness"--their jaws drop.

-Travis
alexoid
View Profile
New user
30 Posts

Profile of alexoid
I've only recently got into rubber band magic myself, it's a great area of magic if you want something really close up, visible and impromtu. I like crazy man's handcuffs and use it to end a routine. I also do a bitten and restored band as an opener (partly due to the set up)which is great as the spectator looks for a switch of band which doesn't happen and you end totally clean.

It would be quite possible to introduce a few band tricks into other magic by using the bands to e.g. wrap a pack of cards. Which reminds me, "The encyclopeadia of rubber band magic" from magictrcicks (UK) has the above tricks plus some great ones with cards and bands.
craz4azanz
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of craz4azanz
Yeah, I too like crazy man's handcuffs.
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1995 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
My advice: Take it beyond CMH (a good trick in itself) you've got 2 rubberbands out anyway, you can do several (dozens) amazing tricks in a rather short time. Band magic is such a good effect (in my mind) because when people see you take out, or borrow them they can get the idea:"stupid". then after 5 seconds they are only astonished. It's a great thing. Don't stop with only one band trick!
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
AqueousMagiK
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of AqueousMagiK
Crazy mans handcuffs (the only rubberband trick I know) Smile
Aaron Farrugia
Cranial Fermentator
View Profile
Loyal user
238 Posts

Profile of Cranial Fermentator
My favorite rubber band trick to perform is definitely "The Hothouse Effect" in which a small rubber band grows three times its size when placed in a transparent sandwich bag. Believe it or not, I discovered this in what is supposedly just a kid's magic book: "Amazing Magic" by Bill Severn! It's so easy to do, and in my opinion looks pretty amazing. And as opposed to "Crazy mans handcuffs", I have yet to see it in anyone else's repertoire.
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
Quote:
On 2005-02-12 17:42, Silly Walter the Polar Bear wrote:
I saw a teenager during the early 1990's shoot a rubber band about 20 feet across the room, and it rolled back towards us !! (I am not making this up). I seem to remember it being in a booklet with 2 or 3 other rubber band effects. Does anyone know the effect or the creator?

Walter,

As Vinsmagic mentioned, the effect is called "The Boomerang Rubber Band" and was from a 3-trick booklet by Chris Kenner published in 1990 called "Band Across the Globe". However, the effect is way older than that booklet. I seem to recall that Dai Vernon discussed seeing a Mexican doing the effect in a bar in Mexico way back when (the 1920s?).

Hope this info helps.

Mike
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
David Deanie
View Profile
New user
Scotland
63 Posts

Profile of David Deanie
"Band Across the Globe" not heard of by many people- but it does have three very good effects within its covers! Turk, just out of curiosity where did you get it? I picked mine up second hand- still trying the boomerang band! I'm sure I'll get it one day- focus!

David
W.F. Lewis
View Profile
Loyal user
225 Posts

Profile of W.F. Lewis
Quote:
On 2005-02-28 06:01, Wells34 wrote:
The boomerang band is probably about the most impressive effect you could do with a band, but it is also pretty difficult. In the right hands its really cool.

My girlfriend does this pretty well, she just HAD to learn it.
TonyLee
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of TonyLee
CMH!! I second and third those opinions!
sugam
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto, Canada
175 Posts

Profile of sugam
I also love CMH. But I love Pinnacle even more. Once you learn it, it's hard to put down the ring and rubberband and try to make new moves and displays. Plus, it's always cool to be able to do it with someone else's ring!