The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: Opinion - Best "Ring Flight" effect? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
PRINCE
View Profile
Inner circle
1448 Posts

Profile of PRINCE
I think another nice touch with El Duco's,is that it has a locking facility. Rather than set it up so that it goes around your body, I always set it up so that it goes up my back and down my jacket sleeve. With this being locking, its perfect to do as you can it hanging and reach for it at any time Smile
benbv
View Profile
Inner circle
London
2471 Posts

Profile of benbv
Yes, very true!
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
The original versions all used a locking reel.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
PRINCE
View Profile
Inner circle
1448 Posts

Profile of PRINCE
That's right - the original versions. The problem with ring flights on the market today, is that it is rare to get A GOOD RING FLIGHT with a locking reel. RAR magic from the UK used to make a brilliant ring flight which was locking, but they do not make them anymore.

My vote is still with El Duco Smile
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5454 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
The reason locking reels went out is that they were something else to go wrong (and even in the best they did go wrong!) and there was no value added having a locking reel.

It takes nothing to anchor a clip going up your back and down your sleeve without using a locking reel.

The best reel based Ring Flight prop being made today is not the El Duco but the Dick Barry model (no unnecessary lock). I’ve had them all and gotten rid of them (some to collectors for very high prices). I keep only workers and the only reel based ring flight I trust as a worker is the Barry model.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
matt.magicman
View Profile
Inner circle
Mars
1527 Posts

Profile of matt.magicman
I beleive, steve dusheck is getting ready to stock up, then some new ones will be on his site in the next few months.........
shooz
View Profile
Loyal user
Mercer, PA
269 Posts

Profile of shooz
Anyone remember "My Ring Collection" by Al Coury? Know where it can be bought? Also, "Linking Ring" magazine had a nice ring flight routine a few years back...worth looking up.

Shooz
With you in thought(s)

Scott Shoemaker... Shooz
PRINCE
View Profile
Inner circle
1448 Posts

Profile of PRINCE
Guys have you seen the new ring flight on http://www.magicbox.uk.com. Its called Lord of the Bling. Im sure this was the exact same effect as 'My Ring Collection' this may have been put out again by the same guy - as I'm not sure who originally put out 'my ring collection', but its definitley the same effect.

Have a look and let me know what you think???

It will be in Blackpool so when I get back I can give a review then.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
UH, correct me if I'm wrong but isn't this a KO of Robert Baxt's effect?
matt.magicman
View Profile
Inner circle
Mars
1527 Posts

Profile of matt.magicman
I have spoken to a few magicians who seem to recall this already being done a few years ago
still a nice variation on the standard plot it though
I wonder what the quality of the hooks and reel are like?
they always seem to be the deciding factors......
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5454 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Big difference between Wayne Goodman’s Lord of the Bling and the old “My Ring Collection. Wayne’s uses a reel and lobster claw hook up and the My Ring Collection uses no reel and a safety pin. Both are nice effects, I tend to like the old $10.00 “My Ring Collection”, which by the way actually cost me close to $90 as I tossed the cheap vending machine rings out and replaced them with cheap (but nicer) Wal-Mart costume jewelry rings! LOL!!! Wayne’s vanish is cleaner (as only a reel can be) but the effect is pretty much the same.

I'm away from home right now and cannot give the proper reference for "My Ring Collection".
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Thanks for the clarification, Harry.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5454 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
I’m addicted to the Flying Ring, Chop Cup, Egg Bag, and Card to Wallet! Heck, at least two of those are in my act (flying ring and card to wallet are pretty much the same trick and egg bag and Chop cup close enough to be a one or the other but not both kind of thing)! LOL!!!

I just love the flying ring theme for simple, easy to follow plot, and kicker ending! Thus have owned or looked at almost every version that has been marketed for the past 45ish years (and have managed to take a gander at a number that have not yet been put on the market). Pete, presently I use yours (and Joe’s) version in my stand-up (including walk around/table hopping) acts. I’ll use the Morelli for repeat venues when the repeat performance is close in time to the last performance and I think that there is pretty much the same crowd! I carry a homemade of Jeff Stewart’s “Ring Thing” daily for an “impromptu” version.

I have the “My Ring Collection” still mounted in one of my jackets. It’s ready even if I don’t perform it. I once replaced all the rings with watches (wrist and pocket style as I had a drawer full of old ones!) and did a watch steal to the gimmicked safety pin! It killed! I don’t know why I don’t do it more! Maybe because with the arthritis in my hands my watch steal is getting less and less sure! Oh well!
PRINCE
View Profile
Inner circle
1448 Posts

Profile of PRINCE
Yes it will be interesting to see what the quality of the reel is like and the actual clip/s. The other fake rings etc wont be to much of a problem as you can use your own as desired.

A nice strong, quiet and reliable reel is what I am hoping for.
I will review when I get back from Blackpool.

3 days to go Smile
wayne goodman
View Profile
New user
uk
15 Posts

Profile of wayne goodman
Hey guys

no it isn't a KO of robert baxts effect
ok to clear up the origins

robert baxt designed a similar idea about the same time I was doing this, he spoke to the magicbox boys at IBM last year and was very impressed with my version.

I spoke to robert on the phone a few weeks back and he congratualted me on the idea and on the method and presentation which is (in his words) completly different from his.

I hope you like the effect its my most used prop and well worth the money at £40 its cabaret/closeup and comedy

wayne
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Thanks much for clearing this up. It looks like a great item.
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17429 Posts

Profile of joseph
Quote:
On 2008-02-16 09:03, matt.magicman wrote:
I beleive, steve dusheck is getting ready to stock up, then some new ones will be on his site in the next few months.........

That's good news.... Smile ..
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
robert_baxt
View Profile
New user
Hollywood, CA. USA
91 Posts

Profile of robert_baxt
HOLD ON JUST A MOMENT WAYNE (AND EVERYONE ELSE READING THIS), IF YOU PLEASE!
Wayne wrote just a post or two above:
<<Ok to clear up the origins: Robert Baxt designed a similar idea about the same time I was doing this, he spoke to the magicbox boys at IBM last year and was very impressed with my version.>>
WAIT A MINUTE WAYNE, I DID NOT COME OUT WITH MY IDEA ABOUT THE SAME TIME AS YOURS!
POINT ONE: -Mine has been in my lecture notes for close to 20 years and been manufactured as a stand alone trick for close to 15 years. Many dealers, like Tannen's and http://www.hocus-pocus.com have carried it; it was just seen in my lecture on Jeff Hobson's "The Lecture Network" when we broadcast it from Las Vegas less than one month ago, and it is also available from me directly. My website page on it was invisible for a bit to reflect that I've had a limited supply, but not to worry! More are here now! Anyone can contact me and pay $40.00 in U.S. funds, plus the applicable postage and I will include a jeweler's eye loupe for additional gags and magic as explained in the instructions I include with the routine.
POINT TWO: Wayne, when I was in England to Perform and Lecture in September 2007 at the IBM Convention in Southport, I saw your version at a dealers booth which mentioned my version in your instructions and I had many thoughts about it, but "impressed" was not one of them!! ;-)
I will politely allow you to slide on this with the excuse that the MagicBox boys must have obviously misinformed you; but I will also point out that in my sell out lecture at the Southport IBM convention I also demonstrated my RIng Flite Gag there, and earlier in 2007, before you put out your trick, I demonstrated it at the very wonderful U.K. Magic Convention held every year in South Shields.

BUT THEN YOU WROTE:
<<I spoke to Robert on the phone a few weeks back and he congratualted me on the idea and on the method and presentation which is (in his words) completly different from his.>>
POINT THREE: I AGREE Wayne, YOU DID CALL ME BACK IN NOVEMBER 2007, BUT WHILE I WAS NOTHING BUT POLITE, YOU ARE MISTAKEN IF YOU THOUGHT I CONGRATULATED YOU ON YOUR METHOD AND PRESENTATION! I know exactly what I said, and I did not praise your method and presentation.
Your presentation is the same as mine which in your instructions you state you knew about before putting out your effect.
Your method is a reel, the same as with many ringflite routines. Mine uses a principle never applied to this trick before,

So Wayne, while I certainly understand that you wrote the above to sell your item, and I can not stop you from doing that; I only politely ask you not to make things up!

I am very lucky in that I have a life to lead. I have no time for this. That means this will be my only post on the subject. The Market is all that matters. I am a full time entertainer. I perform all around the world. I've been in review shows in Las Vegas, I have a FISM trophy for Comedy, and my other credits speak for themselves. Magicians around the world also do my comedy routines that are available on my website and hire me to write custom comedy material for them. I wish you well.
Sincerely,
Robert Baxt
http://www.robertbaxt.com
http://www.robertbaxt.com/store.html
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Robert... glad you came in to set the record straight1 Keep up the good work.

Posted: Mar 2, 2008 7:14pm
I got Baxt's Ring routine today and to say it is diabolic, easy to do (easiest I've ever seen) and probably the most entertaining. I give it 10 Stars!
PRINCE
View Profile
Inner circle
1448 Posts

Profile of PRINCE
I bought El Ducos ring flight up in Blackpool. Can I just say that his is still the best ring flight today in my opinion! For those who are not to familiar...

His ring flight has now 6 clips and not 4. All the clips look exactly the same!!! The gimmicked clip has a softer spring than the others and it is no effort at all hooking the ring on. You don't even know you have done it as it is that light to load the ring BUT the gimmicked clip is very secure and there is no fear of loosing the ring. It is a locking reel which is perfect as you lock it to the length you want, anchor it with a magnet and when you are ready to perform just reach for it and you are ready to go.

The reel is extremly silent, even practising you cannot hear it. The actual black leather case looks and feels very nice and excellent quality. Seriously guys if you are thinking about using a ring flight EFFECT - then go for this!

P.S I donnot know or work for El Duco, this is just a personnal opinion on such a well made gimmick and effect.