The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Did you hear the latest? :: Effect on America's Got Tallent (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
ncsteve
View Profile
Veteran user
North Carolina
313 Posts

Profile of ncsteve
This guy led them down the garden path & then turned the fire hose on them! ;-)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v15OcJTjNyE
magicjosh2
View Profile
Regular user
Manchester. UK.
134 Posts

Profile of magicjosh2
Nice to share, gee whizz the guy gets buzzed and receives four yes votes to go to vegas.
Pity we don't get the same reactions on Britains got talent.
Enjoyed watching that, thanks for sharing ncsteve.
Best Wishes,
Mark
lynnef
View Profile
Inner circle
1408 Posts

Profile of lynnef
A variation on a very old trick burned them all. I loved it, especially the meditative state (it added to the misdirection). Lynn
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Best laugh all day! And they didn't even know it was a standard suspension routine. Such great misdirection. He used the basic formula for a joke. "lead them down the path you want them to go then make that quick turn..." (Punch line)

Loved the way he took the "heat" off THE DEVICE.
Dennis Michael
BigWheel
View Profile
New user
Earth near Washington DC
43 Posts

Profile of BigWheel
When I was in Santa Monica a few months ago there was a street busker doing the same effect. Looks (and sounded) a lot like this guy.

On a show like AGT, he'll have to have something more impactful to stay past the next round.
ncsteve
View Profile
Veteran user
North Carolina
313 Posts

Profile of ncsteve
I'm very curious to see if he can maintain that character & still do something good enough to survive the next show. Playing the part of being "just a looney toon" isn't likely to work a 2nd time. ;-)
ncsteve
View Profile
Veteran user
North Carolina
313 Posts

Profile of ncsteve
I've been racking my brain and I can't think of any effect I've seen performed that got the near reaction this guy did (with a very old effect). Can you guys think of one?
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On 2013-06-06 13:07, ncsteve wrote:
I've been racking my brain and I can't think of any effect I've seen performed that got the near reaction this guy did (with a very old effect). Can you guys think of one?

Blindfold acts, Hayashi and Aaron Crow.
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Terry Evanswood does something similar in his stage act. He connect with the audience leads them where he want until the impact of the illusion.
Dennis Michael
markmiller
View Profile
Special user
731 Posts

Profile of markmiller
Not as elaborate of a yogi-convincing opening, but Andre Kole also did a similar presentation for a meditative lotus position levitation.
ncsteve
View Profile
Veteran user
North Carolina
313 Posts

Profile of ncsteve
I believe what got this big reaction was that no one thought he was a magician. If he'd come out on stage and announced himself as a magician this would've gotten very little attention. I'm not sure anyone that's known as a magician can get that reaction because however great the illusion, in the mind of the spectator it's just a trick by a magician.
markmiller
View Profile
Special user
731 Posts

Profile of markmiller
Agreed, not saying a magician was a big help, since this will not be a help on his next appearance it will be a good opportunity to see just .how clever he is. I hope he does good, I like him.
satellite23
View Profile
Elite user
424 Posts

Profile of satellite23
Quote:
On 2013-06-06 13:07, ncsteve wrote:

I'm not sure what exactly you mean, but I love watching Dan Sperry's performance on AGT. He scares the daylights out of Howie.
ncsteve
View Profile
Veteran user
North Carolina
313 Posts

Profile of ncsteve
Quote:
I'm not sure what exactly you mean, but I love watching Dan Sperry's performance on AGT. He scares the daylights out of Howie.

I meant that the audience seemed shocked far out of proportion to the effect the guy did. They were because no one suspected he was a magician(they believed he was a different kind of nut!). Sperry's performance was great but the crowd's reaction didn't compare to the one by Special Head. Most of the reaction to Sperry was laughing at Howie's fear of the dental floss.
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Great showmanship and free trip to Vegas........gotta love AGT in its 8th season.
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Quote:
On 2013-06-07 09:38, ncsteve wrote:
I believe what got this big reaction was that no one thought he was a magician. If he'd come out on stage and announced himself as a magician this would've gotten very little attention. I'm not sure anyone that's known as a magician can get that reaction because however great the illusion, in the mind of the spectator it's just a trick by a magician.

Very well said....Not a Magician
Dennis Michael
MagicMan1957
View Profile
Inner circle
1445 Posts

Profile of MagicMan1957
This is a great lesson for us all. If he was announced as a Magician, he would have still gotten a good response for his effect.

BUT, not knowing anything of his act he got an overwhelming response from the audience and the judges.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10615 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
I disagree. If he had announced he was a magician beforehand, he would have been buzzed by other judges just like Howard did. They would have expected to see "magic" quicker.
meridianfan
View Profile
Loyal user
259 Posts

Profile of meridianfan
This was awesome! Thank you for sharing- I loved it! I am looking forward to seeing what he does next!
Matman
View Profile
Regular user
106 Posts

Profile of Matman
I wonder if he is going to stay in character for his next "presentation"?