The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Did you hear the latest? :: Roy Huston Rest In Peace (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Rick Fisher
View Profile
Elite user
Rick Fisher
471 Posts

Profile of Rick Fisher
I am saddened to report the death of Roy Huston this morning. Roy's wife Yuka informed me just a few minutes ago.One of the last touring showmen he was a dear friend who just recently performed for us at MagiCelebration 2007. I will report news as I get it. What a show they must be having upstairs........
Rick Fisher, President FAB Magic

"One of the largest magic shops in the world!"

www.fabmagic.com
Rick Fisher
View Profile
Elite user
Rick Fisher
471 Posts

Profile of Rick Fisher
Roy's death was unexpected and he was looking forward to coming to Colon...he will be one final time as he wished to be buried here...Tentative plans are to perform a broken wand ceremony during magic week. Will keep you updated.

www.fabmagic.com
jkesler
View Profile
Loyal user
246 Posts

Profile of jkesler
Roy Huston once taught me the secret of recieving a standing ovation...I will always treasure our conversations...He was a remarkable showman...He was one of the best!!!
James
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7672 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
He was also a helluva show drummer.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I had the pleasure of sharing a stage with Roy a couple years ago at Magic Week. When I walked through the stage door, and saw all those bright red wooden (not ATA) illusion crates backstage, it was like going back in time 50-60 years. It was amazing what he trouped with. There was an original Thayer Mummy Case, an immense painted backdrop and other pieces I think that came from the shows of Bill Neff, and Jack Baker (Dr. Silkini).

Rick knows what I'm talking about, because he and I loaded his show onto the truck that night!! I think Roy may have been the last of his kind.

~michael
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Elton Litzner
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of Elton Litzner
I had the pleasue of living next door to Roy and Yuka at their home/workshop in Gibsonton, Florida. I was in "Gib-Town" wintering with Ward Hall & Chris Christ. It was Chris who introduced me to Roy Huston. That season I spent many nights at Roy's home. He was a masterful story teller. (Some of which I was able to capture on video) We spent hours looking at his scrap books, old performance videos, and cutting up jackpots. We worked on illusions together and shared some drinks at the showmans club. He was a great friend and mentor he will be missed.

(I attached a photo from the last time we saw him. Roy, myself, and Jess Peterson.)

Click here to view attached image.
Elton Litzner
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of Elton Litzner
Rick, I'm in Michigan at the moment. When is the broken wand ceremony going to take place? I would love to drive out to Colon to pay my respects. Roy was one of the last of the great showman from magics golden age.
Elton Litzner
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of Elton Litzner
Richard, yes Roy was a heck of a drummer. There was a Gib-Town style wedding. My friend Matt Molotov is a knife thrower. Him and his wife Felicity had a wild west show that played the fair/festival circuit. Ward Hall is an ordained minister and officiated their wedding. Roy played drums as they marched to the altar.
Rick Fisher
View Profile
Elite user
Rick Fisher
471 Posts

Profile of Rick Fisher
Hi Elton...he WAS one of a kind! A great guy...the family is having broken wand ceremony in Florida at the Showmans league with Bev Bergeron presiding and haven't talked to Yuka in few days about the August memorial...

www.fabmagic.com
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7672 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Hi Elton,
Best to the gang at Havencrest from Kath and I.

I would love to see some of the jackpot videos. Spending time with Chris, Ward, Roy, Dick Johnson and the others is always a hoot.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Rick Fisher
View Profile
Elite user
Rick Fisher
471 Posts

Profile of Rick Fisher
Please check out this wonderful video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Xe0pHBnIUU

www.fabmagic.com
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7672 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Very nice.

Richard
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
cardone
View Profile
Special user
860 Posts

Profile of cardone
Nice video ... R.I.P. Roy .....
Elton Litzner
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of Elton Litzner
Rick, wow great video. Seeing the footage from the Gib-Town documentery got me misty eyed. Roy was definatly one of a kind. Richard, always good to hear from you. I'll tell Alan and Jess you said hello.