The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Did you hear the latest? :: Mask Magician Exposes Patented Gamalo Levitation (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
I own this illusion and know it is patented:

Publication Number: 04244566 - Molovinsky; Gale ~ LEVITATION DEVICE - Issued: January 13, 1981 See: Secret Sessions Patents

Can the Mask Magician legally do this?
It is the exact design and equipment I have.
Dennis Michael
Magicque
View Profile
Special user
673 Posts

Profile of Magicque
Dennis, sue the ***...
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

I don't own the patent, Gale does, it would have to come from him!

Gale Molovinsky is a lawyer! He should know the legalities of this.

His sales would drop and he should sue for all the advertising he has done, and potential loss of income, as well as damages.

It is the first illusion that the Mask Magician has done where I know it falls under existing patents.

It would be nice to see Fox pay for exposure ($100) per person who saw that illusion. It's less than what the plans would have cost.
Dennis Michael
Magicque
View Profile
Special user
673 Posts

Profile of Magicque
Dennis, did he show it last Monday?

Posted: Nov 19, 2008 2:00pm
I forgot to mention that I hate him SO MUCH...If anyone has the chance to meet him in person, beat him up! Everybody here will help you pay your court fees...
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
Wow Dennis, You and this guy too...

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......rum=62&2
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Magicque,

It was Monday's Nov 17th, 2008 show.

So far the Masked Magician has exposed my Twister, My Zombie, My Sword Suspension, and now my Gamolo Levitation.

He has not exposed my Hippy Hop Rabbits yet!
Dennis Michael
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3535 Posts

Profile of gaddy
:sarcastic:
Gee, but exposure doesn't hurt anyone...
:sarcastic:
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
Dennis, patents are public record. As I understand it, once an item is patented anyone can legally request a complete set of design specs. That's one of the reasons that products like Coca Cola and KFC's recipe have never been patented. However crude and distasteful, exposing the design on national TV is merely an extension of that public availability. I doubt that there's a legal resolution here.

However, I do find value in Magicque's suggestion.
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
Big Daddy Cool
View Profile
Inner circle
1604 Posts

Profile of Big Daddy Cool
Quote:
On 2008-11-19 14:13, Dennis Michael wrote:
Magicque,

It was Monday's Nov 17th, 2008 show.

So far the Masked Magician has exposed my Twister, My Zombie, My Sword Suspension, and now my Gamolo Levitation.

He has not exposed my Hippy Hop Rabbits yet!

Warning! I'm gonna *piss off* a lot of people with my reply. You've been warned...

I've been asking a lot of people this question - why do all illusionists seem to do the same illusions? I've been watching video and as far as I can tell, the men working the machines are interchangeable since the tricks are the same.

So if this show forces magicians to start doing some original - truly original - material then I think it is a good thing. I mean if I see one more generic magician perform the same set - Fire Cage, Sword Basket/Origami, Twister/Cube Zag/Zig Zag, shadow box, snowstorm, etc... I swear I will puke! I mean come on and show SOME creativity! If this show forces that, then it is very good for magic, and I support the Val's efforts.

Are you mad yet?

Get ready...

And just cause the tricks are exposed does not mean you can't perform them any more. The magic doesn't happen in the box or on the table. It happens in the hearts and minds of the audience. Hate to tell you, but that means that the tricks will never create magic. Magic is an organic result of the relationship between the character and the audience! That being the truth, even if the Twister is revealed you can still perform it, because your original creative presentation will override the mechanical secrets. What? You don't have an original creative presentation? Then, yeah you're screwed.

Mad yet?

Here we go...

This is another reason that magic is dwindling in popularity in Vegas. Magicians are interchangeable since the tricks are the same. I mean who cares? Really?

Well I care. I don't care about the tricks. I care about the performance. About the perception of the audience. I care about creating such original creative magic that it doesn't matter if the secret is known or not, the audience is still captivated by it.

Boys, it is time to face the music and re-examine what we do and why. I know I'll get flamed. I know I've just made enemies. But it needs to be said. Long live the Masked Magician!
We'll catch ya on the Back of the Cereal Box!
Johnny
www.johnnybeyond.com
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
Everybody sing now -

John and Val sitting in a tree. K-i-s-s-i-n-g. First comes love, then comes marriage...then comes John with the baby carriage!
Big Daddy Cool
View Profile
Inner circle
1604 Posts

Where's the Tylenol?
Johnny
www.johnnybeyond.com
Jimeh
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1399 Posts

Profile of Jimeh
Big Daddy Cool,
Looks like we're both gonna burn. I could not agree with you more.
Big Daddy Cool
View Profile
Inner circle
1604 Posts

Burn baby, burn!
Johnny
www.johnnybeyond.com
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
Me too...I love exposure...love controversy! And anybody who says otherwise is itching for a fight! What really upsets me is that I wasn't asked to do it first!

Anybody wanna know the secret to the USG? Just DP 10 silver dollars and produce them one at a time!

hey now...
Donal Chayce
View Profile
Inner circle
1770 Posts

Profile of Donal Chayce
Quote:
On 2008-11-19 15:47, Justin Style wrote:
Me too...I love exposure...What really upsets me is that I wasn't asked to do it first!

Justin, based on the reports I got, the last time "exposure" was requested of you, paramedics had to revive everyone in the first three rows. The rest of the audience fled into the street.

:rotf:
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
I can't talk about that...yet!
Jimeh
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1399 Posts

Profile of Jimeh
Quote:
On 2008-11-19 15:47, Justin Style wrote:
Anybody wanna know the secret to the USG? Just DP 10 silver dollars and produce them one at a time!

Excellent! Now that I have the secret to USG I'm going to change it to a dozen silvers, re-name it 'ULTIMATE AGENT GRIP' and have it in PDF form by morning. Stay tuned for the news letter...hey now!
Terry Owens
View Profile
Inner circle
Ft. Wayne, Indiana
1707 Posts

Profile of Terry Owens
Just because we've seen an illusion doesn't mean the majority of the public has. Most Americans will die never seeing any of us, let alone the illusions that was listed above as someone being tired of seeing. Classics are classics for a reason, people enjoy seeing them. Just because we might be tired of seeing them doesn't make exposure right.

I almost need duct tape to wrap around my bald head when I see the masked magician, but then again, most Americans aren't watching him either.
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2008-11-19 13:30, Dennis Michael wrote:
I own this illusion and know it is patented:

Publication Number: 04244566 - Molovinsky; Gale ~ LEVITATION DEVICE - Issued: January 13, 1981 See: Secret Sessions Patents

Can the Mask Magician legally do this?
It is the exact design and equipment I have.

Patents expire after 20 years so this illusion is now in the public domain
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Magicque
View Profile
Special user
673 Posts

Profile of Magicque
Big Daddy Cool, you have no respect for the art. And for other magicians.
Do us a favor, leave magic. Agent 61, why don't you do the same?!

Dennis, I know how hard it can be, believe me. I fully understand that you worry about all this. I do too.