The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Did you hear the latest? :: What is happening at Penguin Magic? (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
MJE
View Profile
Elite user
After all these years,I STILL have only
410 Posts

Profile of MJE
Quote:
On Mar 26, 2023, Wravyn wrote:
I have had hard drives and flash drives go wonky, not allowing me to access to view them.

At some point in my computer life, my newest computer didn't have a slot for floppies. Jeez, the guy in the store could'a mentioned that!! Fortunately, important stuff and recent stuff was backed up, but just because I do that as a rule. But, I wonder what I'll never see again in that pile of floppies that I trashed......
SoloDoubleAct
View Profile
New user
North Carolina
84 Posts

Profile of SoloDoubleAct
Just this winter I moved everything to cloud storage, specifically Google Drive. I don't necessarily recommend that over any other online cloud storage solution, and if anything there are some issues (I wish it was more like FTP or had a command line interface for instance). I also totally get the mindset of someone very privacy or security focused wanting their own personal storage, offline. That ain't me though, not for this.

BUT I just can't bear the thought of losing my many varied magic downloads, ebooks, performances, etc. Some of them saved from YouTube videos or private Zoom calls etc that can never be recovered if lost. Part of the reason I chose Google is that, even if they axed Google Drive (unlikely) they are such a big, reputable, company I'd all but guarantee will have a way for me to move my content; and also I think Google is a safe bet for continuing business beyond my own lifetime even lol.

Huge piece of mind. It was a pain, but not only am I pretty much worry free about losing my stuff but I also have access to it everywhere now!
thecromulent
View Profile
Veteran user
Brooklyn, NY
390 Posts

Profile of thecromulent
I keep everything on a local (external) hard drive, which is backed up locally (via Time Machine) and then again to the cloud (via Backblaze). Cost of both systems is pretty minimal, and it gives enormous peace of mind.

Evan
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
4389 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Quote:
On Mar 25, 2023, Dirko wrote:
I hope it is not going out of business as some have suggested.......but this brings up a question I have. Do you all download your videos or just watch them from the website?

i always download... and watch them from the site unless I get a wierd error message, which happens alot.
dmcknight
View Profile
New user
who finally has
64 Posts

Profile of dmcknight
I just received an order yesterday, very timely shipping and notifications. I also download everything when possible and upload to my own Google Drive.
BTW I loved their little email update with a GIF with my name on it. Memorable customer service IMO.
"Success" is the ability to go from failure to failure without losing your enthusiasm.
Josh Burch
View Profile
Regular user
163 Posts

Profile of Josh Burch
Hey y'all,

Josh Burch here with Penguin. I can clear up some of the confusion on some of this.

Quote:
On Mar 19, 2023, 1KJ wrote:
I don't know if this is the place to post this, but I'm sure the moderators will move it if not.

What is going on at Penguin Magic?

They used to do weekly Penguin Live, then biweekly, now no schedule at all?
Also, they have had the same Bestsellers List for months.

Seems odd.

KJ

Yes, we are doing fewer Penguin Live Lectures. They have not stopped, the format has changed up a little though.

You can see more about the new format here on the holiday remix (it's still a free download):
https://www.penguinmagic.com/p/18121

Quote:
On Mar 24, 2023, 1KJ wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 21, 2023, MJE wrote:

Quote:
On Mar 21, 2023, thecromulent wrote:

Quote:
It featured Matt Johnson's "Melt" for many years.

I suspect that no one wanted to pay for the spot, so they just let it run. I know that I'm not the only one who knows what they want before checking to see if Penguin has it. It's just not the advertising giant that it once was. Great service, though!

I didn't realize that people pay for that spot. If so, then it is misleading because they call it "bestsellers". I always assumed that meant bestsellers. If not, silly me.

KJ [/quote]

You cannot pay for a spot on the best sellers list. It doesn't work like that.

The list on the left of the screen consists of the most popular effects in the last 7 days. The list updates itself and is completely based on sales. The list here also uses that same data:
https://www.penguinmagic.com/top10.php

The best sellers on the right side of the screen consist of the best-selling Penguin tricks of all time.

Melt was on the homepage for a long time because it is a great trick. The website has been updated so that the featured tricks now cycle through some of our newest releases. You can't pay for a spot on the best seller list.
Josh Burch
View Profile
Regular user
163 Posts

Profile of Josh Burch
Penguin Magic is still very much in business, we're alive, and well. I don't find myself on to the Magic Café all that often. Most of us on the team are buried in projects but if you haven't heard Penguin Magic now has a Brick and Mortar Store that carries virtually all of our P3/Penguin-produced physical products as well as products that have not yet been released. Please come on by!

https://p3magic.com/

We also have weekly shows at the P3 Magic Theater. You can find out more here:

https://www.eventbrite.com/o/p3-magic-theater-8148478852

When lecturers come to town we will notify the public at the above links as well, feel free to come by and enjoy some live magic!

We have been very active on social media lately with lots of new YouTube videos. Check out Nick's video from Blackpool. It's great! We post Top 10's regularly and have a few cool videos in the works.

https://www.youtube.com/@penguinmagicshop/featured

We are probably most active on Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/penguinmagicshop/
Levi Bennett
View Profile
Inner circle
1795 Posts

Profile of Levi Bennett
Nice. Good to hear.
Performing magic unprofessionally since 2008!
EZrhythm
View Profile
Inner circle
Only three EZ payments for a PDF of my
1860 Posts

Profile of EZrhythm
Quote:
On May 16, 2023, Josh Burch wrote:
Penguin Magic is still very much in business, we're alive, and well. I don't find myself on to the Magic Café all that often. Most of us on the team are buried in projects but if you haven't heard Penguin Magic now has a Brick and Mortar Store that carries virtually all of our P3/Penguin-produced physical products as well as products that have not yet been released. Please come on by!

WOW a new brick and mortar magic store today is unheard of other than Magick Balay's, DON'T BLINK in New York. This such great news! CONGRATULATIONS! I am happy for Columbus but it is too bad that Penguin isn't opening a location in Ranch Cordova/Sacramento area.
How many magicians does it take to change a lightbulb? Regardless, for magicians darkness is a time for d'lite.