The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The Shift: Picks of the Week by Chris Ramsay :: THE SHIFT #007 - 1% Yu Hojin & Chris Mayhew's ATT Live Lecture (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
MarcusC
View Profile
Regular user
183 Posts

Profile of MarcusC

This week Chris Brings on Bao Hoang as a special guest reviewer to talk about and perform effects from Yu Hojin's Card Manipulation DVD. Chris will also be performing his favorite effect found on Chris Mayhew's latest At the Table Experience!

For this week's contest, come up with 2-3 questions to ask Chris and post them in the comment section of the youtube video, and he will answer them and pick a winner on next week's episode!

Don't forget to Share, Like, and Subscribe!

1% by Yu Hojin
http://www.murphysmagic.com/Product.aspx?id=54841

At The Table Experience with Chris Mayhew
http://www.murphysmagic.com/Streaming/Product.aspx?id=53895
goatears
View Profile
Veteran user
400 Posts

Profile of goatears
Here's a link to all of my video reviews of the Murphy's lectures. Feel free to subscribe.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL......nyRFkRst

Below is my full review of Chris' lecture.

Chris is a lot of fun to watch and is very talented. He teaches some of his most popular downloads on this lecture and most of what he does teach can quickly be applied to most magicians close up repertoire. If you are not sure go ahead and take advantage of Murphy’s new feature where you can see the first 20 minutes of any lecture ou wish for free. This will be sure to help you make a better purchasing decision. Follow this link for the details http://www.murphysmagic.com/free20/

Invisible deck/ Professor Cheer's Comedy Rope Routine (Performance Only): To open Chris gives an example of how he fills the stage with just a simple card trick. This performance is a fun sample from Chris’ stand up show. It is very funny in my opinion and it’s a nice illustration of how you can update classic effects. The invisible deck is not taught but most magic dealers have it available. The rope effect is also a classic, and it is not taught.

Mr. Hands: This is Chris’ version of a color change in the spectators hands. One of the strongest effects in magic. Chris has taken this effect and made it truly surprising. There’s a lot of great touches on this and a great utility move is taught as well. I like this enough that I think I’ll try to add it to my repertoire.

Ambitious Card and Lazy Rise: This is a quick, basic ambitious card routine. It is simple to do and follows the classic idea of a card appearing on top of the deck over and over again. The lazy rise is a nice visual addition to the ambitious. A card is out jogged and progressively rises up the deck. This is pretty tough but is not as difficult as other versions including Ray Crosby’s original.

The Running Man: This is Chris’ version of Tyler Wilson’s version of the Anniversary Waltz. In this version 2 cards are selected and signed, they are placed in different packets one vanishes from its packet and appears next to the other selection. The cards then fuse together with a signature on the face and a signature on back. There is a great reason he uses for having the back of the second card signed and I think that the 2 packets really help there to be multiple magical moments.

Fake Routine (Performance Only): I laughed out loud about this. This is a series of fishy movements and actions where nothing happens. Chris performs a series of pseudo sleights and never finds the selected card. It’s like the modern art version of magic. It is a routine that is only appropriate for magicians and I found it to be very funny.

Mediumph: This is an in the spectators hand triumph. There is a nice addition here that makes it make so much sense when compared to other triumphs. The magician tries to magically rearrange the cards so that they match the spectators and in the process magically finds the spectators card. There are a couple things that I really like with this triumph and you really don’t need a table.

Safety: This is Chris’ take on the linking safety pins. It is very refreshing. At one point the linking safety pins were very popular but lately they have become less so. Chris’ version is very cool and everything is examinable afterwards. I will experiment with this and may put it in my own repertoire. I love that it feels so unique when compared to card and coin tricks.

A card is selected sandwiched between 2 cards, and put aside. Another card is sandwiched and set aside repeatedly until there are 4 cards on the table. One card vanishes and the spectators selection is found sandwiched once again. This is a crazy cool routine that might be best suited for magicians but it looks very nice and was a ton of fun to watch.

The Hole Thing (Performance Only): This is a crazy visual sandwich effect where a selected card is found by 2 jokers with a hole drilled through the middle. It looks very impossible and is so pretty. He exposes the gimmick here but does not explain the routines he performs. He uses this mainly to illustrate a point of how he gets creative with his magic.

Chris is a funny quirky guy. His magic is just as fun and quirky as he is. If you like close up magic with cards and like magic inside jokes than this is a great lecture for you. This has been one of my favorite lectures to date.