The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Where to put it all... :: Does anyone use a "suitcase table"? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
John Zander
View Profile
Loyal user
Downey, CA
247 Posts

Profile of John Zander
I have been looking at these but I am not sure if I need it. You know, the large prop case with wheels and a table top that holds the props in side. Here is a pic

http://www.hanklee.net/cgi-bin/quikstore......arch=yes

I have my kid shows down to one case. It is full of "packs small and plays big" effects so I do not need all of the space of a roll on table. But if I had one I would use some bigger props like the confusing crayons which I have a great routine for. I don’t use them now because I don’t have the room. The golden rule "one trip from the car"

Does anyone use these? Do the props get tossed around and mixed up in transit? Are they durable?

Thanks! Smile
Thank you,

John Zander

The Award Winning

Comedy Magic of

John Zander

http://www.ZanderMagic.com

http://www.AllMagic.net
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
John, one trip to the car is an excellent rule!

Kids, more so than adults, begin to wonder who or what is doing the magic when the magician takes a half-hour to set up three or four tables, after bringing in four or five cases.

As for the suitcase table, it folds up nicely and provides a secure storage and performing setup.

On the down side, the thing weighs a ton! The ads say "22 pounds" but remember, that’s empty.

So what’s it going to weigh when you have your show packed? And can you comfortably lift that and manhandle it into every venue you’ll face?

I use a small suitcase, with a flange, and a tripod stand that fits the flange.

And, believe me, when you are doing home parties, the host/hostess is mightily impressed when you say you don’t need anything (table, chair, etc.).

After all, s/he has enough to worry about at the party, without you adding to the problems.

If you work out of one case now, John, and want to add bigger stuff, why not just get a bigger case?

That’s what I do/did.

BTW, one more thing about the suitcase table:

Should you decide to go for it, please repaint it to get rid of that horribly hokey silk-screened top-hat design.

"Tacky" isn’t the word for it. (Well, come to think of it, maybe "tacky" IS the word for it, after all.)

Cheers,

Peter Marucci

showtimecol@aol.com
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
I have owned and used the Joe Lefler Pro Suitcase Table for years, and I absolutely love it! It allows me to take larger props like a clatter box, magic drawing board, Topsy turvy bottles, Ring in nest of boxes, snake basket, etc. I have found it to be invaluable. It's cover is "velcro-friendly," so you can customize it to any show, it has a place where you can padlock the hasp down. Inside, two shelves and a large lower storage area. I give it my highest recommendation.

One piece of advice: Almost all suitcase and roll-on tables have black interiors. It's next to impossible to see your props in dim lighting, particularly if there's a spotlight on you. So either paint the interior a light color, or, as I did, cover it with a light oak woodgrain contact paper.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
John Zander
View Profile
Loyal user
Downey, CA
247 Posts

Profile of John Zander
Thanks Peter,

I know what you mean. I do three shows a day on the weekends and I am so "at home" with the case that I have now. I also use a table that folds up nicely, again, only one trip from the car. My case is a large video camera case. It is nice because it is so well padded and I can fit my whole show + in it. But like I said no big props, sometimes I would like to use them. Thanks a bunch for your advice. It really gives me some insight into what I was looking for. Smile

Hi Scott,

Thanks for the info, Is that table still available? Where might I find one? Funny you mentioned the "art work" Smile on the cases. The rabbits and the top hats.... pretty bad. I hate those. Looks like your act just walked out of the magic shop.

I would appreciate any info on the table that you mentioned, would you have a pic? Thanks again

Smile

Thank you,
John Zander
Thank you,

John Zander

The Award Winning

Comedy Magic of

John Zander

Doug Byrd
View Profile
Veteran user
VA
361 Posts

Profile of Doug Byrd
John,

Here's Joe's Site. I've copied the page where his tables are. They really are the very best for the money. You will not be sorry.

http://www.wearefun.com/show_product_index.cfm?group=13

Your Friend in Magic and Fun,

Doug
"Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc"
Fredrick
View Profile
Loyal user
Seattle
248 Posts

Profile of Fredrick
Scott's recommendation is right on! I, too, have one of Joe's tables and it can't be beat. Lots of room for storage and packs up in a moment.

There used to be two sizes available but I am not certain.
"Try to find the humanity in the magic and maybe you'll come up with something of your own. It's the humanity that gets you there, not techniques." Michael Moschen on Creativity
Scott O.
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
1143 Posts

Profile of Scott O.
Here is another link to the aforementioned tables. The prices are a bit cheaper here.

http://www.magictables.com/tablesone.htm

I’ve been considering one of these for awhile now, but have not made the purchase yet.

Let me ask the question. What size would work best for an all-around magic table. Let’s assume that most perfomances would be in private homes for parties etc. Would the larger size (24 x 24 x 12 closed/24 x 38 x 12 open) be a good fit? Or would a smaller size work better (18" wide instead of 24").

Scott Smile
Do not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time you will reap a harvest, if you do not give up. Galatians 6:9
malini
View Profile
Loyal user
219 Posts

Profile of malini
I had a suitcase table made up for me for less than $40.

It's great! It folds down to half it's size, and has a self contained table top.

Very stable, on wheels, and a lock for convenience.
amagician
View Profile
Regular user
Hobart Tasmania Australia
160 Posts

Profile of amagician
I have had 3 suitcase tables.

One was shaped sort of like a briefcase. the Long sides sloped and one of them flipped up to become the top of the table. The other long side had a metal Playboy Rabbit logo in the centre. It came with a tripod and worked okay.

One was based on a set of plans sold by Supreme Magic. That had wheels and folded upward to be twice as tall as the box you carried from the car. Very good & simple.

The other was based on a cigarette pack with a "flip top", the front of the flip part was elongated and became the top of the table. It had a few compartments inside the top section. The original idea was published in Abracadabra magazine years ago. It was heavy but convenient.

When Card Mondor arrived in HoBart I showed him the table and said I didn’t like the color, "What should I paint it?" He said (and I’m paraphrasing)," don’t use a paintbrush, use an axe’

That’s when I started using the 2 pilot cases.
Have a Magic day
John Williams
http://www.ezymagic.com/
more tricks than you can shake a wand at
subscribe to our free ezine on site
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
13023 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On 2001-11-30 16:15, Fredrick wrote:
Scott’s recommendation is right on! I, too, have one of Joe’s tables and it can’t be beat. Lots of room for storage and packs up in a moment.

There used to be two sizes available but I am not certain.

Yea, there are two sizes small and bigger... heh, heh. No seriously, they are fantastic tables. I’ve been using one for about 3 years and there’s nowhere I haven’t been able to go with it. It is very heavy duty, rolls nice and has a comfortable handle on it to lift it over rough terrain.

It holds a ton of stuff and since it rolls, it is not a problem. I have fit it into the back of a Honda CRX for awhile but now I have a mini-van (got a few kids).

I would recommend it highly. I still make two trips from the car, though, since I also carry in a small amp and a mic stand.

John Cesta
John Zander
View Profile
Loyal user
Downey, CA
247 Posts

Profile of John Zander
I am thinking twice about a suitcase table now. The way my show is now (kid show) I have a camera case on a folding keyboard stand and I can do my 40 minutes easy with effects left over.

One of my shows this Saturday was at a place here in So. Cal. at Griffith Park called "Travel Town" it was a B-Day party on a train car. Once I parked I had quite a walk over train tracks, rocky paths and dirt hills. A suitcase table would have been a real problem. Of course those kinds of conditions are few.

I’m sure that I will still get one, they seem like they have so much room. The one thing that I lack is a place to put an effect once done with it. All of my effects can be done in the hands without a table which is nice but, it is a drag having to put the effect that I just did back into the same case that I am reaching into for the next trick.

I enjoyed all of the responses in this thread, makes it easy to make a purchase when I do decide to get one.
Thank you,

John Zander

The Award Winning

Comedy Magic of

John Zander

majorshaw
View Profile
New user
Randy Shaw
73 Posts

Profile of majorshaw
I purchased a case that's not painted over, 15 years ago. Still looks new and it's been used for Kids to Stage show. Look at Lickle Pickle. It's more, but made for the Working magician.
R.Shaw

AIMC with Silver Star
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3727 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
I currently use the larger of the 2 Lefler tables. Love the fact that there's no paint to chip, and it packs well. I'd love one of the similar Viking tables, but THEY'RE HUGE. Even too tall for me, and I'm 6'4".

The other thing I use occasionally is a (don't laugh...) saxophone case. I had a sign specially made that completely covers the top of the case (when it's open, it's facing the audience). I put it on an X-shaped keyboard stand. The finish is pretty indestructable, there's a handle on the side and the end for easy carrying/packing. And there's already a small compartment inside with a hinged top/door. I found mine at a church rummage sale. By the way, the interior is also lined with cloth-covered foam...it's excellent!

Anybody else use one of these?

Steve Thomas
Andini
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, OH
685 Posts

Profile of Andini
All I can say is, I bought the suitcase table awhile ago and I love it! Definitely a worthwile investment! When I saw how much time it saved I was like...
Smile Smile Smile
(Sorry, my first message here, I had to try one of these pictures) Smile
Dano
View Profile
Loyal user
Centerville, OH
240 Posts

Profile of Dano
Hello All:

Does anyone have any experience with the NBZD05 close up table offered by http://www.magictables.com

It appears small, light, and efficient (even has a small drawer) I think it would make a perfect "hopping table" in that I do not require a lot of storage space for my routines. But it is nice to have some storage for the small stuff to free up some pockets.

Thanks to all in advance Smile
"Magic" is merely an illusion, but "Perception" is reality!
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5965 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I used suitcase tables, years ago. They were too heavy!!!

I now use a large, brightly colored, plastic tote. The tote is very light and I use dividers to keep the props from moving, much. The tote is put upon a restaurant tray stand and I use a Viking tripod with a cutting board top as my performing table.
The advantage of the tote is that it allows vertical access to the props, yet it's slightly above eye level of most of the kids.
Smile
Mike Robbins
View Profile
Elite user
Anchorage, Alaska
447 Posts

Profile of Mike Robbins
I use the large Joe Lefler table (I didn't know the name of it until I saw it here). One thing to look out for with them though is if you bring it as baggage on an airplane. The clasps will come off. They aren't as durable as they could be. They're only screwed in.

One way around it is to drill a hole through and bolt them in. What I did after the first one fell out was remove the other. I bought a couple of neon lockable luggage straps. They're easy to spot on a baggage belt; they practically glow. They, too, will eventually break (it took about a year), but they're easy to replace and I can use them for other luggage when not traveling on show business.

Mike

BTW, I have not had any problems with the wheels coming off. I've had the table for about 3-4 years and have had it travel out to Alaska Villages in below zero weather on puddle jumpers. It's survived travel by dog sled and snow machine as well. That table was one of the best investments I ever made.

Mike
The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.
Shakespeare
Corey K
View Profile
Special user
Rhode Island
502 Posts

Profile of Corey K
"BTW, one more thing about the suitcase table:
Should you decide to go for it, please repaint it to get rid of that horribly hokey silk-screened top-hat design.
"Tacky" isn’t the word for it. (Well, come to think of it, maybe "tacky" IS the word for it, after all.) "

Hey! Don't make fun of the design Smile

That's the same table I use. The design may seem tacky but I think it looks better than the plain gray ones. However, Hank's carries both (where I got mine).

-Corey
Corey King
JBmagic
View Profile
Regular user
New Jersey
110 Posts

Profile of JBmagic
I'll throw in another vote for Joe's table.
I use the large table and it's been through a lot of shows. It taken some hefty abuse and still looks/feels like brand new.

I am not sure if this was said, but the fabric on the outside -vs- the paint gives you a great background for velcro, hang signs, banners, just about anything can be velcro'd to it!

I read that you were thinking of NOT going with a suitcase table for now, if you ever do... check out Joes tables, they can't be beat for quality.
Jay Buchanan
Michael Chandler
View Profile
New user
United Kingdom
6 Posts

Profile of Michael Chandler
I use different tables dependant on the type of work I am doing. I have a suitcase table that I use for childrens parties. I normally only make one trip but I carry that, a Coomber Amp, stand for Coomber, Puppet stage (for lightweight Punch and Judy) and a case with puppets in it. Quite a lot but I have a small trolley to load onto. If I am doing the whole party (two hours) then I use a much larger table. It is sort of two boxes one fitting on top of the other. It can carry a ton of equipment.

For shopping centres or, as right now because of the Queens Jubilee, I am doing street parties, I use a Boxall Table. These are about 12 inch square (300mm) cubes that fit onto a drum stand. You can get quite a lot of small stuff inside. It also has the advantage of a lid that you can shut and keep the props secure.

I had everything made for me by Quality Props so it is all co-ordinated. This can be handy when I work military camps where you have to do a couple of, different shows.

For outside events I use a different fit up (puppet booth for Punch and Judy). It is quite large but is quick to set up. It needs to be pegged, down like a tent, so I have to carry a set of weights about to keep it from flying off. I am not the greatest at close-up but it certainly has advantages when it comes to carrying stuff about. I bought a couple of small toolbox cases to carry my close up stuff. Then I fitted a thread to the bottom of each one so that my drum stands can fit into them. They have been handy for street stuff.

I feel like a removal man when I have done big shows for garages or communities. Not only do I have a larger P.A. but also the backdrops to bring in. I can usually set up for a big show in about 25 minutes which is not to bad.

I have, as you can probably guess, a van to carry everything in.