The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Where to put it all... :: Tables, Tables and More Tables... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
kihei kid
View Profile
Inner circle
Dog House
1039 Posts

Profile of kihei kid
I am looking into buying a table and have surfed the web; some of them have been quite nice with lots of bells and whistles. I would greatly appreciate some input from table owners out there, I have only seen a handful, I’m sure there are many more out there.

Also does anyone know of some books with construction plans for building your own?

Thanks
Kid
In loving memory of Hughie Thomasson 1952-2007.

You brought something beautiful to this world, you touched my heart, my soul and my life. You will be greatly missed.

Until we meet again “my old friend”.
broothal
View Profile
Elite user
Europe
448 Posts

Profile of broothal
I don't require much table space. All my close-up and table-hopping effects can be done without a table. For my stand-up act, it's mostly the same, but it's nice to have a small table regardless. So I bought one of those flat, expandable metal tables. They're not rock solid, but they do the job, and the unfolding looks like an effect in itself.

For my trade show set I require a solid table for 3-shell game and 3-card monte. So I've mounted a wooden plate on an old camera tripod.
Jim Wilder
View Profile
Special user
Birmingham, AL
954 Posts

Profile of Jim Wilder
Quote:
On 2004-06-05 08:07, kihei kid wrote:
I am looking into buying a table and have surfed the web; some of them have been quite nice with lots of bells and whistles. I would greatly appreciate some input from table owners out there, I have only seen a handful, I’m sure there are many more out there.

Also does anyone know of some books with construction plans for building your own?

Thanks
Kid

What kind of work (close-up, stage, street) do you do?
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
If you would have done a search on the Café, you would have found all your questions answered. From books, comparisons, to DIY.

They have fixed the search engine and it works now, try it!
kihei kid
View Profile
Inner circle
Dog House
1039 Posts

Profile of kihei kid
Jwilder, close-up.

Wmhegbli, Thank you. I did try the search engine and did not find anything to my liking, not sure if you know it or not but I have been a member of the Café for a day or two now.

Kid

You brought something beautiful to this world, you touched my heart, my soul and my life. You will be greatly missed.

Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
The only books/plans for tables are the 2 table books and 1 set of plans sold by Magic Inc. Chicago, Ill. There is a discription for Jack Hughes in his 1st hard to find book. Mickey Hades has a description in his Making Magic book.

That's it. The rest is up to you. I remade a Taylor suitcase table from scratch. It took weeks to complete, but I am very proud of my work.

I understand that you don't like many of the tables available and this is a very difficult problem for any performer.

Being you give no info on the type of act you want your table to conform to it is very difficult to advise you.

The best is to simply have an assistant to help and bring out each effect on a tray. She can hold the tray or place on a small table stand. Failing that, you will need to work with what is available.

I perfer Suitcase tables. Owen/Taylor. The one Stevens magic sells are very versatile. Many people say what they don't like, but is much harder to say what you like and the features needed.

So a more detailed question would help to help us to help you. Whenever I watch acts I always take note of the table used, most if not all are custom tables or bags. Ali Bongo once walked out with 2 shopping bags with handles glued together. It worked great for his act. He just hung it on a cut out finger that fit to the microphone stand. Very funny bit.

So the 1st thing you need is an act. Then build the table to suit the act. It is not uncommon to have a table for each type of act. Remember, every box or tube you use will need a surface to place it on. The late Neil Foster used 13 tables in his large manipulation act. He moved from table to table for each effect. Pavel used several box tables with his name spelled out with each letter of his name on the inside lid. Moving along each table for each effect.

Magic is the hardest equipment to lug, store, and place well in an act. The mystery continues.

I hope you got an idea or 2. If you feel to expand on your needs, please do. Sure, I recognize your handle, but I did not know if you seen the previous post on tables. You did not say you did. I do not do mental magic and am not a mind reader.
kihei kid
View Profile
Inner circle
Dog House
1039 Posts

Profile of kihei kid
Wmhegbli, Thanks again! Excellent post I’m on my way to try and find those books, I will say that I am a little shocked that there are only a couple of resources.

Sounds to me like this area of magic has room for some more creativity, seeing that a table can be such a valuable asset.

Can anyone else recommend some close-up tables as well or maybe you know of another resource that wmhegbli does not?

If you own one you like can you tell me what it is about it that you like so much or cannot do without?

Thanks all

Kid

Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Again, and I say this a lot... if you can, make your own table. Figure out your needs and design what works for you.

You can get a lot out of the Table Book, by looking at http://www.magicinc.net.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I made my own. I like it.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
RBerteig
View Profile
Regular user
Monrovia, California
146 Posts

Profile of RBerteig
Given a personal preference for props that look like ordinary objects, I searched for appropriate small tables to use in a close-up setting for months before happening on a collection of inexpensive end/occasional/plant stand tables at a chain craft store (Michaels, if they are in your neck of the woods). They knock down flat, and assemble much like a pool cue. I found two shapes: one short with a tray-like top, and the other taller with a 12 inch circular top.

For those times when having something that looks unusual is more appropriate, I bought a 2 foot circle of plywood from Home Depot and cut a Yin (or was it a Yang?) from it, fitted a T-nut into its center of gravity, and screwed it onto the legs from one of the tables described above.

I covered the plywood with purple felt, added some fringe, and fitted a simple servant pocket to a pivot on the underside. The result large enough to spread a full deck, and works well for the close-up effects I normally do.

It wasn't hard to do given a willingness to wield a saber saw and drill, and probably only took about four hours to complete.

For those times when having something that looks unusual is more appropriate, I bought a 2 foot circle of plywood from Home Depot and cut a Yin (or was it a Yang?) from it, fitted a T-nut into its center of gravity, and screwed it onto the legs from one of the tables described above.

I covered the plywood with purple felt, added some fringe, and fitted a simple servante pocket to a pivot on the underside. The result large enough to spread a full deck, and works well for the close-up effects I normally do.

It wasn't hard to do given a willingness to wield a saber saw and drill, and probably only took about four hours to complete.
Ross Berteig
Wizards in my Parlor
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
The Magic Inc. plans are for the 'ROLON - Tom Palmer's Great Table'. This is a Suitcase table. I have built it several times. The plans are not totally correct so be sure to check the measurements before doing any cutting of your wood. Otherwise you may wind up short on some pieces.

The plans were only $3 when I bought them 20 years ago. So they may be a little more now.

This was actually a commercial table that was sold on the magic market. I’ve seen one only once. It does look nice if constructed properly.
kihei kid
View Profile
Inner circle
Dog House
1039 Posts

Profile of kihei kid
Thank you again everyone. Pete thank you for the link.

Kid

ithomson
View Profile
Veteran user
330 Posts

Profile of ithomson
I'm looking at "Mr. Mikame's Demonstration Table". Does anyone have it or know of any reviews?

Ian
magicgraham
View Profile
Regular user
Mesa Arizona
138 Posts

Profile of magicgraham
I have two wonderful Neilson style roll on tables and they are great for stage shows where being practical for travel goes out the door. But recently I purchased two of the Davis Charvet/Mark Evans 10 second tables and they are *** wonderful and practical.

http://hometown.aol.com/dcstudios/magic.html
Renaldi
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto, Canada
106 Posts

Profile of Renaldi
MagicGraham,

The tables look just great. Which of the 2 do you have and which way do they open? Can you also tell us something about their weight and sturdiness.

Thanks,

Renaldi
triadsong
View Profile
Regular user
Long Island, NY
170 Posts

Profile of triadsong
I felt that most of the tables I found through local dealers were not bad but they either did not fit with my act or just did not have a "look" that I felt comfortable with. I gave up on tables for a barstool and trays. We carry everything in a camp trunk and set that up a small distance away. It works for me and I wish you luck in finding what works for you.
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2181 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
A piece of wood screwd to a sturdy music stand, they are the black ones very strong.
Matt
magicgraham
View Profile
Regular user
Mesa Arizona
138 Posts

Profile of magicgraham
Quote:
On 2004-06-14 20:03, Renaldi wrote:
MagicGraham,

The tables look just great. Which of the 2 do you have and which way do they open? Can you also tell us something about their weight and sturdiness.

Thanks,

I have the larger of the two styles they weigh next to nothing empty you can either get them top open or back open I have one of each and are about to order one more they are made like road cases so very sturdy, just back from shows today with another magician and he was very impressed by them.

Renaldi
A.G.
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver- Canada
960 Posts

Profile of A.G.
If you can use the top of your case as a table that screws into a flange and symbol stand you have got the best.i use this in tradeshows
Well then...
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5965 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Why not use a briefcase sitting on a restaurant tray stand?