The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Where to put it all... :: What do you want from a table? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
ufo
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
1185 Posts

Profile of ufo
I have a friend who is a scenic designer and prop maker and he has recently taken an interest in my magic. One of the things that fascinated him most was my rolling suitcase table that I have used for nearly 20 years.

He contends he can build a better, stronger, smaller, more clever table if he just knew what all I wanted it to do and have.

SO...I ask you all, what exactly goes into the "ultimate magic table?"
Boundaries: the format of a rolling table/case. Let the wish lists begin! Smile
Keep Your head up, your heart open and your magic alive.
MagicAndBlackjack
View Profile
Elite user
442 Posts

Profile of MagicAndBlackjack
Pockets to ditch gaffs or anything you need to get rid of is a must.
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
A sound system built into the table that is remote controllable.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
Jeff Haas
View Profile
Special user
931 Posts

Profile of Jeff Haas
  • Looks good, is able to withstand travel well
  • Lightweight but strong materials. (Remember, if the table is empty and then gets filled up and weights 75 lbs, it's too heavy!)
GaryW
View Profile
Veteran user
HSMagic
317 Posts

Profile of GaryW
Good looks; portability; some hidden storage space Smile
Gary Ailes
Hot Shot Magic
www.hotshotmagic.com
KirkG
View Profile
Inner circle
1391 Posts

Profile of KirkG
Loading devices similiar to the wonder mats. A place for three to six cup and ball loads. Adjustable height for standing or sitting, or if that is too much, then the ability to order it in a specific height.

A locking drawer to hold small props and gaffs that can double as a servante.

Locking wheels for when it is fully loaded.

16x20 performance area on top. Padded and hard surface interchangability.

Kirk Grodske
ufo
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
1185 Posts

Profile of ufo
Excellent ideas! Keep 'em coming and we shall see what happens. Who knows maybe a "Magic Café" table design!
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
  • How about a top with built-in wells?
  • Adjustable height from the floor?
  • Fold-out ditch bag?
  • Adjustable shelves like a fridge?
  • Built-in fog machine?
  • Built-in pyro show?
  • Built-in PK station?
  • Built-in thread system?
  • Built-in magnet catch for steel?
  • Built-in rope holders on the sides for your ropes?
What kind of shop does he have? This could go on for a while.
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
gician
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of gician
I like the fold-out ditch bag idea. I have basically a two-piece club table which is packed with the show; set it down, and I'm ready to go. However, I've always wanted to perform, say the Vanishing Coke Bottle (either kind). However, I should then toss the tube or bag (safely) away—not carefully set it back inside my table. So a place to toss something into a table without having an extra piece to carry would be ideal for me.
MacGyver
View Profile
Inner circle
St. Louis, MO
1419 Posts

Profile of MacGyver
A black art top with a bottle "hole" so you can vanish items on top!!!

How about this:

A small slit that will take a coin or card, have it attached to a slide that goes into your nesting boxes or whatever...So it goes right from the table top to nested box.

Servante is a must, as well as easy card / deck / coin loaders...

Hmm that's about it...
Ricahato
View Profile
Regular user
denver
113 Posts

Profile of Ricahato
What a great post, it got me thinking and the ideas just start growing, WOW! If you are going to use it for stage take into consideration what Jeff McBride says on his video, I think it is on Stage Vol II, he explains the importance of a table that won't fall off if you push it. Smile
DarryltheWizard
View Profile
Loyal user
238 Posts

Profile of DarryltheWizard
I have had a table fetish for years and I, too, have not found the perfect table. I've even sold my dining room table to make more room for magic tables.

At present I use two small folding suitcase tables covered with a greyish black speaker material which is velcro compatible. I feel a magic table should not be painted brightly, for it distracts from your magic performance.

Jeff McBride uses an upright drummer's case made of compressed board. It is very light and does not distract from his amazing magic. The advantage of the speaker material enables you to attach ditching bags, plaques to the front, etc.

Darryl the Wizard.
DarryltheWizard
"Life without mystery is like a candle
with a snuffed out flame." Albert Einstein
ufo
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
1185 Posts

Profile of ufo
Thank you all for the great input. I wll be meeting with my friend this week and I will show him all the posts. Keep the ideas coming and we will see what happens.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
See...kingstardog is not thinking. If you're going to have shelves "like" a fridge, why not just get the fridge in there to start with? Then you have a fridge, shelves, cold beer, the works!

Quote:
On 2003-09-23 00:41, KingStardog wrote:
  • How about a top with built-in
  • Adjustable shelves like a fridge?
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I use two tables. One for parlor and the other for strolling. The Viking is what I use for parlor. It makes a good place to keep props before and after my act. The one I use for strolling is very helpful to use to hold my props on in front of the spectator and makes good storage to keep a lot of props for when needed.
Dano
View Profile
Loyal user
Centerville, OH
240 Posts

Profile of Dano
I have a small tripod unit with a VERY heavy base for obvious reasons. Smile
"Magic" is merely an illusion, but "Perception" is reality!