The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Where to put it all... :: I am not sure if... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
London
View Profile
Special user
U.S.A.
769 Posts

Profile of London
I am not sure if this "room" is about where to put it all while performing or at home if you are collecting? At any rate I am looking for the best way to catalog my library of magic and mentalism. What is the best way to store the small paper back "booklets"
beside shoe boxes and things like that, because they really don't fit properly on shelves. Thanx Smile
THOUGHTfully,

LONDON
MAGICBYTIM
View Profile
Special user
Louisiana
531 Posts

Profile of MAGICBYTIM
There are a couple of things you can do with small booklets. Some of my booklets I have copied and three ring punched them and put them in a binder and catologued what was in the binder on the outside. Then I store the original in a box with other originals. I have been told I should not do that since the booklets are copyrighted. I think that if I buy a book then I can do what I need to to use the book the most effective way. As long as I do not give the copies or original away.

This is also what I do when I find a routine I like in a magazine or online. I print or copy it and put in these binders. I also have binders for different types of magic (closeup, children, etc.)

I have also put small books or lecture notes in zip lock bags with numbers on them. Then I can lable the box they are in and get to them quickly.

Hope this helps

Tim
Mark Martinez
View Profile
Inner circle
Wisconsin
1276 Posts

Profile of Mark Martinez
I also like to have my stuff in binders, but I bought comic book sleeves that hook in the binders, and hold my booklets! I have them in alphabetical order and the outside of the binder is labeled with what’s inside.

I think that the last holders I bought were not comic book holders but were from Office Max "Heavyweight Sheet Protectors".

Good Luck!
Magically,
Mark

Success comes before work only in the dictionary. - Anonymous
London
View Profile
Special user
U.S.A.
769 Posts

Profile of London
Thanks guys. Although I think the photo copy thing would get costly especially after I copied all 465 of them.
THOUGHTfully,

LONDON
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24316 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
At some office supply stores, you can find small plastic holders for magazines. They usually hold about a dozen copies of Reader's digest. These will help you keep the paperbacks fresh. You can sometimes change the height of your shelves to accomodate paperbacks, also.

If you have old ones that are delicate, put them in acid free catalog envelopes.

Whatever you do, DON'T glue plastic or cardboard covers to them!!!!
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
G. LaBarre
View Profile
Regular user
Vancouver, B.C. Canada
121 Posts

Profile of G. LaBarre
Quote:
On 2003-06-03 12:31, Mark Martinez wrote:
... Comic Book Sleeves that hook in the Binders, and hold my booklets! "Heavyweight Sheet Protectors".

Thanks MARK MARTINEZ for that great advice. I just have my manuscripts and soft covers on shelves with the biggest on the bottom and the smaller ones on top. With your solution I can store them by categories or by authors. I have lots with signatures that will be protected too.
Glen Alan - "The HOW in your Magic should be Secondary to the WOW in your Magic."
Ricahato
View Profile
Regular user
denver
113 Posts

Profile of Ricahato
If you have access to a scanner I would digitize everything and put the originals on boxes for pictures, those acid free ones. Smile
magicmonkeyphoto
View Profile
Regular user
151 Posts

Profile of magicmonkeyphoto
I recomend using the plastic storage sheets that can be put into 3 ring binders, but then putting them in a binder that can be closed up enough to keep dust out. You can get them at larger photographers supply stores. They aren't water proof, but if some liquid did splash on them, it likely wouldn't make it into the binder, and almost definately not onto the protected booklets.

Lincoln
http://www.lincolnworld.com/products -- For high end mentalist utility devices, ideas, and props for professionals and serious hobbyists. You can follow me on Instagram @Lincolnworldmagic and on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/LincolnWorldWatchers