The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Where to put it all... :: Assassin's Pouch by Jay Sankey (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
William Wortman
View Profile
Veteran user
Omaha, NE
301 Posts

Profile of William Wortman
I think that Jay Sankey's Assassin's get a bad rap, because of its size and well it looks like a fanny pack for some people. Looking in the Café some people do like the pouch and I'm one of them. I just got finished making it so it can hold my color changing knives set, and room for the new flag knife that I can't wait to get. I'll list at the bottom what I did to make the knife holder for the pouch.

But back to the pouch. I do agree that it is pretty small. When I first got the pouch I was disappointed with the size of the pouch. At the most it can hold 2 decks of cards, 10 half dollars (5 in each outer pouch) one Sharpie, One thumb tip or ITR. This does make it very bulky, and not very useable.

The pouch is made to be small so you can pack what you need to perform tricks for strolling.

Here is what I carry and what I'll add to my pouch when I can:

A Deck of cards
Half Dollars ( still working on how many to carry thinking 1 or 2, maybe 3 at the most)
Thumb Tip
Sharpie
One White and one black on top and white on bottom knife ( waiting on my flag knife to come on in the mail) which will be a total of 3 knives.
Thinking about a small silk
Also about 10 to 20 rubber bands on my wrist.

With this set up I still have some room in the main pouch and a I have a free pocket and I can do about an hour show with everything I carry.

I hope this helps people with the Assassin's Pouch.

Here is what I did to make the knives holder:
From a old book bag cut out the pen holders and cut the bottom to fit the pouch, and I used 3 Velcro to hold the holders in place. There you go a nice little cheap holder for color changing knives for you pouch.

I hope who every read this finds this helpful and informative.
William Wortman
View Profile
Veteran user
Omaha, NE
301 Posts

I wanted to Add this about the homemade knife holder. You either have to sew or tape (use black tape) so the knives don't slide to far down the pouch. Or if you already cut it like I did, just place it near the bottom so the knives stop where you want them to stop.

Hope this thread help everyone that reads it.
William Wortman
View Profile
Veteran user
Omaha, NE
301 Posts

For those who had read this article I just wanted to add this.

I emailed Jay about adding the knives pouch this is what he emailed back:
"Clever thinking!
Thanks!
J."

Not much but I figured since he emailed me back, that I sent him more ideas I had for his pouch this is what I emailed him, still waiting for the email back:

"Also just a little thought about the pouch, maybe a little holder for a magnet, so it is invisible in the pouch. I am thinking of a pouch that everyone would like. The magnet holder at the bottom, the knives holder in the pouch and a slim pouch of packet tricks or business cards. I think if you add this to you pouch, with the original pockets and holders plus these new ideas you will have a pouch every magician is going to need"

I really hope he makes a new pouch with these extras. Also if this thread has helped anyone please posted.

Anyways thanks for reading, this is my last rant on my improvements to the pouch... for now at least.

William Wortman
Sam Weiss
View Profile
Loyal user
Stratford, CT should have more than
278 Posts

Profile of Sam Weiss
Thanks William!

I was just about to put up a post here asking if the Assassin's Pouch is too big and bulky but I guess you answered my question.

I also really like the knives idea. If I ever get a pouch I'll definitely have to add it.

One more thing... if I was per say going to wear just a tee-shirt... is there anyway to conceal the pouch like a jacket does?

Thanks,
Sam
"There's something that gets in your soul when you study magic,it's in your heart, and when you perform it comes across the footlights and into everybody else's heart..."
-Denny Haney
William Wortman
View Profile
Veteran user
Omaha, NE
301 Posts

Well if you have a long shirt ( like the bottom of the shirt covers the top half of you pocket) it will cover the pouch, but its a little bulky for just a shirt/ I would just ware a jacket, or just ware it out in the open on my side a little towards to my back

But I know it does get hot, I in Florida so it gets hot. I just ware it to the side of my body where my phone is. It looks like small camera case or even a phone case.

So to answer your question yes if you have a long shirt you can hid it a little bit.
Sam Weiss
View Profile
Loyal user
Stratford, CT should have more than
278 Posts

Profile of Sam Weiss
Okay awesome... I would wear something more dressy while performing professionally so it usually wouldn't be a problem but I would also want it for casual strolling so that's why I asked. You're right, it would look like a camera case so it would be something that gets a lot of attention.

Thanks for all the help and ideas!
"There's something that gets in your soul when you study magic,it's in your heart, and when you perform it comes across the footlights and into everybody else's heart..."
-Denny Haney
William Wortman
View Profile
Veteran user
Omaha, NE
301 Posts

No Problem.

Also I would check out http://www.theambitiouscard.com for leather cases if you have the money
William Wortman
View Profile
Veteran user
Omaha, NE
301 Posts

Well I thought I would ads this little extra about my pouch.

After adding 3 c/c knives; a deck of cards; a Sharpie; a t/t; and 2 washers ( Still waiting on Holy Moly and Holy Stretch) I can see well, my pouch is getting very heavy so I thinking either getting another Assassin Pouch or should I upgrade to Frank's Strolling Pouch and C/C knives pouch (http://www.theambitiouscard.com/)?

So I am asking if I should upgrade to Frank's pouch; get another Assassin's pouch or just keep what I got.

This is what I plan to carry:
(Pouch)
At least 1 deck of cards
A Sharpie
2 Washers (Maybe 3)
Holy Moly
Holy Stretch
Maybe UnHoly (if I'm in the mood)
3 c/c knives

Also:
Departure Ring Flight
Packet Tricks (using a tri-fold packet holder http://www.penguinmagic.com/specialorderproduct.php?ID=7953)
Card to Wallet
Rubber Bands

That is what I'll carry so any advise would be great.
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
13023 Posts

Profile of John C
I wore mine for about a week and it ripped in two places. Not very durable for me.

J
William Wortman
View Profile
Veteran user
Omaha, NE
301 Posts

Yea mine was starting to ripe so I bought Franks pouch http://www.theambitiouscard.com

And all I have to say it is so much better, I still have so much room. I just need to add a knife holder to free up a little space in the main pocket.

So that in said if you are a light perform not caring a lot use Sankey's pouch, if not use Franks pouch from http://www.theambitiouscard.com
Darby
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles
249 Posts

Profile of Darby
I've had a couple of the Assassin pouches. Also bought a cell phone pouch with a leather clip, took them to a shoe repair shop and had the clip sewn on back instead of the loop. It makes it getting on and off a lot easier, especially since it's in the way while driving.
mmreed
View Profile
Inner circle
Harrisburg, PA
1432 Posts

Profile of mmreed
The ripping seems to be a common issue. out of 9 people I know that have them, all 9 have said it ripped on them.

From what I heard, Jay does offer to replace them if they are relatively new.

Im not a big fan of the "pouch hanging off you" but it does help if you need to carry thing and do not want to fumble with pockets.
Mark Reed
Wedding and Event Entertainment
Sir Richard
View Profile
Special user
650 Posts

Profile of Sir Richard
I recently bought one of Frank's pouch's & was blown away by all of the room in such a small pouch. On his latest version there is even a small pocket on each end of the pouch big enough for a Sharpie or pen. (I use one of each.) Not to mention that Frank guarantees all of the products that he makes! You don't pay a lot for great quality, you pay a lot for poor quality...over & over again!

Sir Richard.
"In the land of Murphy there is but ONE law!"
rottenmagic
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of rottenmagic
Fanny pack! Can't get past it.
dtextreme
View Profile
New user
80 Posts

Profile of dtextreme
I used electrical tape to tape up the insides of my Assassin's Pouch to add durability and to prevent it from ripping. It works very well!
jonathandupree
View Profile
Loyal user
238 Posts

Profile of jonathandupree
I love my High Caliber Original Holster. Use it every night of the week almost, no problems. People don't even know it is on me!
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
3009 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
Quote:
On 2010-01-26 22:25, mmreed wrote:
The ripping seems to be a common issue. out of 9 people I know that have them, all 9 have said it ripped on them.

From what I heard, Jay does offer to replace them if they are relatively new.

I had one rip on me too, and yes, Jay sent a new one free of charge. I'm a little more careful in how I load it now, and try to make sure the seat belt isn't pushing directly down on it while driving. But I like the shape of the pouch, and the extra pockets. Not as good as a High Caliber holster, of course, but it's good for everyday wearing so you always have some cards, coins and other props on you for practice during "down" moments.
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
pwolverine
View Profile
Regular user
Melbourne, Australia
112 Posts

Profile of pwolverine
I had an assassins pouch - it ripped on me and couldn't hold very much at all. I upgraded to one of Franks Strolling pouches, and got another one when I wore that one out after a number of years. Franks pouches are the best and the most durable. I wear mine every single day on my belt whilst teaching. Can run ad throw it about and its still fine. My only recommendation would be to ask for the larger belt clip as I find this makes the pouch more durable. But I swear by Frank's pouches they are fantastic and you really can't go past them.
BatsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1052 Posts

Profile of BatsMagic
No problems with my Assassin's Pouch, but I am pretty careful with it!
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Due to the awful construction of the Assassin's pouch we were talked into doing a leather version for a desperate customer. Smile
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.