The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Where to put it all... :: Newspaper trick (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
daghank
View Profile
Loyal user
290 Posts

Profile of daghank
I don't know if this is the right section to post this but I don't know any other tricks to do with a newspaper except the 'torn and restored newspaper' routine?

I don't really want to jump on such a trick directly so are there any more effects or routines to do with newspaper?
sruli
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of sruli
If you like newspaper magic, you must see Gene Anderson's book, Newspaper Magic. The book is out of print but you can probably find a copy somewhere. There's a ton of good stuff in that book.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
World's Greatest Magic has a DVD for performing multiple newspaper effects.
Doruk Ãœlgen
View Profile
Elite user
466 Posts

Profile of Doruk Ãœlgen
You can do some mentalism effect,such as headline prediction....

also putting liquid into the newspaper, and pouring it back....

you can produce doves from newspaper...

lots of things actually....
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
My bad, I misunderstood your post, Daghank. The DVD I mentioned above is about tear and restore only. Doruk is right.
Doruk Ãœlgen
View Profile
Elite user
466 Posts

Profile of Doruk Ãœlgen
There is new product in the market which will be helpfull for you...
http://hocus-pocus.com/magicshop/index.cfm?product=3870
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
There is (or used to be) a trick called, "In The News". I think it was made by Tenyo, maybe?

Regan
Mister Mystery
Jeff Dial
View Profile
Special user
Kent, WA
533 Posts

Profile of Jeff Dial
Had an email on March 3rd from Magic Inc. that NEWSPAPER MAGIC has been reprinted.
"Think our brains must be too highly trained, Majikthise" HHGG
Mach
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of Mach
Paper Balls over head
electric.ceu
View Profile
Regular user
I can't believe I have
130 Posts

Profile of electric.ceu
One of my favorites is a prediction trick using a strip of classified adds from a newspaper is in Harry Lorayne's "The Magic Book".
Timothy James
Mr. Woolery
View Profile
Inner circle
Fairbanks, AK
2150 Posts

Profile of Mr. Woolery
Newspaper Magic is a great book. I'm reading it this week, got it through Interlibrary Loan. If it has been reprinted, I am certainly going to get a copy.

For effects, you have several presentations of the Afghan Bands, a couple of T&R papers, several interesting hat folds, some great cuts (think of the classic snowflake patterns we made as kids, but more so), and a lot of little things. One of my favorite ideas so far is a magazine page rolled into a cone and used as an egg bag. It can be gimmicked while still in the magazine, then torn out and used apparently impromptu.

I plan to use or modify several of the effects from this book and I personally think it is a whole lot more useful for practical magical effects than a couple of books I've paid for. I especially love that several of the articles will deal with different presentations on the same basic effect (clippo, for instance has at least 5 different routines for one effect, and it stimulates the brain cells to see the ideas put forth).

As a general prop, newspaper can be useful in other ways. Silly Billy uses a paper cone with his milk pitcher routine. If you have some mention of a puppy, putting papers down will get a chuckle from anyone who has dealt with puppies. If you are big on the idea of a show with lots of ordinary items used, it can be made to function like a Devil's Napkin (less durable, though) or for almost any small production or vanish that would fit in a pocket.

That book has got me thinking about magical uses for all sorts of simple things, rather than thinking of fancy props to do the same jobs. Perhaps that's the most valuable thing about such a book.

-Patrick
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
3040 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
Ooh, I like the Devil's Hank idea...I may have to try that one out!
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
QED
View Profile
New user
Alexandria, VA
74 Posts

Profile of QED
Quote:
On 2009-03-04 11:30, Regan wrote:There is (or used to be) a trick called, "In The News". I think it was made by Tenyo, maybe? Regan
It is still available... I picked it up at Denny Magic (it's been a while ago)...
It's one of the "pour liquid into the newspaper and then pour it back out" effects...
David Quidas
Alexandria, VA

I'm here to tell ya, and I don't mind tellin' ya, but I ain't sayin' nothin', if ya know what I'm sayin'...
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6789 Posts

Profile of videoman
Quote:
On 2009-07-16 16:34, QED wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-03-04 11:30, Regan wrote:There is (or used to be) a trick called, "In The News". I think it was made by Tenyo, maybe? Regan
It is still available... I picked it up at Denny Magic (it's been a while ago)...
It's one of the "pour liquid into the newspaper and then pour it back out" effects...

Does "In The News" still come made up out of a Japanese newspaper?
Mine did years ago. Tough to explain a Japanese newspaper when you're 8 years old. Ha Ha.
Bill
Dave McFarland
View Profile
Regular user
Portland, OR
184 Posts

Profile of Dave McFarland
I was never able to find "In the News"--it's not made anymore as far as I know. But I picked up "Absorbing News" from Hank Lee for $2.50 (http://www.hanklee.org/xcart/product.php?productid=2927&cat=0&page=1). I think it's the same effect. The principle is also discussed in Gene Anderson's "Newspaper Magic" book.
--dave
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24316 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2009-02-25 20:17, Doruk Ãœlgen wrote:

New? This book was NEW in 1968, when it was first printed. It's gone through at least five printings so far.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
BCaldwell
View Profile
Special user
is really regretting his
524 Posts

Profile of BCaldwell
Quote:
On 2009-09-15 22:45, Bill Palmer wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-02-25 20:17, Doruk Ãœlgen wrote:

New? This book was NEW in 1968, when it was first printed. It's gone through at least five printings so far.
I guess it really is true. Everything old IS new again! Smile
"...that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." Dennis Miller Smile

~Bob~