The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Where to put it all... :: Help, I need more foam in my latte (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Mr. Ed
View Profile
Veteran user
California
337 Posts

Profile of Mr. Ed
I bought a case awhile back that had foam inside that could be cut out to fit props nicely.

I have since (of course) rearranged my case and now need more foam. Does anyone know the name of, or, where to get some. The stuff I have came with the case.
Smile
He who laughs, lasts.
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
Typically, you can get this stuff at camera stores. Failing that, get a piece of solid foam at your local fabric shop. You'll have to cut it with a knife as opposed to the nice peel-out squares in the other stuff, but it works just as well.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Geoff Williams
View Profile
Special user
St. Pete Beach, FL
617 Posts

Profile of Geoff Williams
greatscott is right. The solid foam works great. This allows you the freedom to design rounded compartments instead of just squarish ones.

Tip: cut it with an X-Acto knife. Use a fresh blade. Also, instead of a slicing motion (which can rip the foam instead of cutting it), use an up-and-down poking motion as you move the blade along. The same action as a sewing machine needle. You'll have much better cutting control.

Tip#2: cut a rectangular compartment but leave a flap of foam covering the top. You can store a TTip in that space and the flap covers it, hiding it from view. This means nosy waitstaff and other curious folk can peek over your shoulder into your close-up case and not get too much of an "educational" glimpse.
"Saját légpárnás tele van angolnák."

(Hungarian for "My hovercraft is full of eels")
Mr. Ed
View Profile
Veteran user
California
337 Posts

Profile of Mr. Ed
Great ideas I'll be making a run right after work. Thanks

That's why I love this place, You never have to reinvent the wheel. Smile
He who laughs, lasts.
Vincent
View Profile
Loyal user
New York Metro Area
270 Posts

Profile of Vincent
I know that this topic is several months old but you can also order foam at Foam Online. I believe it is http://www.foamonline.com.
If you are not sure what to order give their customer service # a call. They are usually very helpful.
Ciao,
Vinny D. Smile Smile Smile
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1817 Posts

Profile of Michael Messing
Another great way to cut solid foam is to use an electric carving knife. I was shown that method by a store that sells foam. It works very well. Just mark your foam, turn on the knife and follow the lines.