The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Where to put it all... :: Dumb Question about Card Boxes (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
DJG
View Profile
Inner circle
1300 Posts

Profile of DJG
Is there someplace where you can get a hard plastic or metal card box to store cards in while strolling? The regular cardboard box gets bent and dirty rather quickly, and card clips, while not for it's original intended purpose, seems odd (IMHO).
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
Yes, it's called Card Guard and you can double the life of your bikes. I have a few and I purchased them from http://www.penguinmagic.com/ Currently, I think they are out of stock. Nonetheless, you can buy the card guard at almost any website that sells magic tricks or your fav. local magic store.
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Boynton Beach, FL
5270 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
I understood that he doesn't want to use a card clip. If you want a card case and would be happy with leather, GOOGLE "leather playing card case" and you'll find many.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
99% of the "card guards" don't work right... there is a subtle difference that keeps the cards FLAT and that is the Porper card clip. You can get them at http://www.porperoriginals.com or http://www.hocus-pocus.com

BELIEVE ME THERE IS A DIFFERENCE Smile
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
I totally agree, Pete, that not all "card guards" are created equal. I sometimes have to press the metal card guard that I'm using to make sure it's holding the cardboard box with the right grip. But to protect your deck of cards while strolling, I think a regular metal hard case like a card guard for $4.95 without clips to store your cards is quite adequate, IMO, Davvidicus.
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
Charlie Justice
View Profile
Inner circle
Mount Dora, Florida
1142 Posts

Profile of Charlie Justice
Bent and dirty while strolling? Rough gig!
serge storms
View Profile
Veteran user
Las Vegas
380 Posts

Profile of serge storms
There was a leather card case you can wear on belt that was made for magicians, I believe it had the spot for the deck, and then it also had some small pockets for packet effects or license and credit cards. It snapped shut - however I've been looking for one and don't know who put it out or if its still available (or if anyone has one for sale) if so, please let me know. Also, Not certain if it actually had a clip for the belt or if it was more of a wallet type of case. Either way, I'd like to hear about it if you know of it. Thanks
docelk
View Profile
Veteran user
St. Pete, FL
362 Posts

Profile of docelk
Walmart sells a cigarette case with a belt loop for a couple of bucks---no metal, or protection from bending, but very convenient---will handle several packet tricks and a deck of cards with ease---velcro snap and made of heavy duty nylon
Life is a test. It is only a test. If this had been a real life, you would have been given further instructions on where to go, and what to do.
ziatro
View Profile
Veteran user
Havant, England
322 Posts

Profile of ziatro
You can get regular looking plastic bike tuck cases from the 'Card Collection'
try this link
http://www.cards4magic.co.uk/cgi-bin/ss0......amp;PN=2
PaulGreen
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of PaulGreen
Check with http://www.magicsmith.com

Regards,

Paul Green
Sam Tabar
View Profile
Inner circle
Austin, Texas
1050 Posts

Profile of Sam Tabar
Here's a nice product from George Robinson.
"Knowledge comes from finding the answers, but understanding what the answers mean is what brings wisdom." - Anonymous
Imagication
View Profile
New user
Brunei Darussalam
52 Posts

Profile of Imagication
Quote:
On 2005-07-17 13:51, Davvidicus wrote:
Is there someplace where you can get a hard plastic or metal card box to store cards in while strolling? The regular cardboard box gets bent and dirty rather quickly, and card clips, while not for it's original intended purpose, seems odd (IMHO).

If you take some more time into card clips, they're not odd at all. In fact I think they look good to laymen and/or to other people for that matter. I too had this feeling before, then I realize that it's not what I think it is.

It looks more profesional to me and at the same time it takes good care of your cards. You will find that it can make your cards smoother in a way, than what I think plastic or metal box would do. The best, in my opinion, is the original Joe Porper Card Clip. Try it. You can't go wrong with it, give it a chance. Though it wouldn't hurt too if you would want to try something different. Just my opinion.
-Jess.
Number One
View Profile
Regular user
Mike J Kelly
164 Posts

Profile of Number One
Are card clips used to hold cased decks or just the deck.
Are the used in performance (appears over the top to me) or just used for storage / transportation.
Regards
Mike
Smile Guess which hand the frog is in.
Imagication
View Profile
New user
Brunei Darussalam
52 Posts

Profile of Imagication
The cards are kept in it's original box and the box is slid into the clip for a perfect fit, and it can expand the life span of the card boxes as well... They can be used in whatever occasion or whenever you like, either during performance, for storage, or even for showing off to your friends, I might like to add, because they are such a beautiful piece of art. Specifically I am talking about Joe Porper Card Clip, although this also goes to other card clips, but I just simply love Joe's.

They might cost three times as much as the card guards, but it is more than worth it's price in the money you will save from going through numerous decks.

Oh and by the way, Joe Porper Card Clips can be found in http://www.hocus-pocus.com under Joe Porper products, check it out!
-Jess.
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4935 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
I recently bought a Porper card clip. I will never use anything else.
Here in Taiwan it is really humid. Cards warp quickly. The warp I hate is the one that puts a "click" in your deck. You know, your deck can click into two different positions. Porper's clip will actually "repair" warped cards. I put an old bent deck into it, carried in my pocket and the clip made the deck flat again.

The clip is also much lighter than those card guard knock offs too.

One more fun thing I found. You can write on a Porper with a black sharpie, and only see the writing from a certain angle. Crib??

If I ever see Joe Porper, I might just kiss him Smile
James
Still with the Chinese circus Smile
Ty Argo
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
525 Posts

Profile of Ty Argo
Quote:
On 2005-07-17 15:12, serge storms wrote:
There was a leather card case you can wear on belt that was made for magicians, I believe it had the spot for the deck, and then it also had some small pockets for packet effects or license and credit cards. It snapped shut - however I've been looking for one and don't know who put it out or if its still available (or if anyone has one for sale) if so, please let me know. Also, Not certain if it actually had a clip for the belt or if it was more of a wallet type of case. Either way, I'd like to hear about it if you know of it. Thanks

Precision Magic. It is very pretty and nicely made in leather with a spade-shaped strap that delivers the cards right to you. And no, unfortunately it does not have a belt strap, although you could modify it. At the back, it has spots for several packet ticks/business cards
http://www.precisionmagic.com/card_wallet.htm
Dyslexics UNTIE!!
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
James... don't try to kiss Porper... he carries a big pool cue and is a good shot with it.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Matt Malinas
View Profile
Inner circle
Transylvania
1367 Posts

Profile of Matt Malinas
Just got the joe porper card clip. at first I realized it's light. I have never used a card clip before. but this thing is amazing. I used to get soo mad that my third world playing cards were wrecked in 1 or 2 days. this thing keeps them alive for a couple more.
remember , I don't use bicycle cards , or bee , or tally-ho. I just wish. I use paper playing cards , not plastic wrapped , nothing. this card clip made miracles happen for my miserable cards. just imagine what it would do for your bicycles!
The masters make the rules, for the wise men and the fools
CardMaker
View Profile
Inner circle
Ludwigsburg/GERMANY
1063 Posts

Profile of CardMaker
http://www.leatherjerry.com/wallets.html
Scroll down to the last third of that page; "Cases with belt strap".

It is a nice one.
CardMaker/Bernd Maucksch
Finest gaffed cards for magicians
peterscarlett
View Profile
Regular user
England
137 Posts

Profile of peterscarlett
In the UK there is a chain of stores "Paperchase" and they sell a very nice metal card box which has a hole in the bottom - when you open the box you can make the cards rise out of the box by pushing your finger through the hole. The bottom, in this case, refers to one of the large sides because the box hinges open, if that makes sense.
Peter Scarlett
Peter Scarlett Magic
www.peterscarlett.com