The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Where to put it all... :: Does anyone use a "suitcase table"? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
My Merv Taylor table is 35 1/2" high, is 16x24. I prefer it to be about 30" high for such effects like Hippty Hop Rabbits, Multiplying Bottles, etc.

I also have the Owen's version of the Merv Taylor Table. I really like the drop down legs on both models. The closed size is 10x24x16.

Use a cloth to form a few tubes like bags under the lid for things like wands and fans. This makes it easy to reach.

It is a matter of experience to get use to putting your last effect away, while introducing your next effect. I think this must be rehearsed as much as your tricks. Always consider prop placement.

I also have and used Abbott's nightclub table, but on banquet shows, audience helpers cannot resist looking into the open top.

It seems weight is a big thing with everyone. You can use a dolly; they do have some fold up heavy-duty carts around. My table fully loaded is only a little over 50 lb.

No problem for me. I like the drop done legs on the Merv Taylor table to wheel it on the sidewalk. I received this table from a magician who used it for over 20 years. It was beaten up good.

I was able to get birch Finland plywood and totally remake the table. I only used the heavy-duty release devices on the remake. I also make the interior red so I could see inside in dark banquet rooms. I never understood why the inside is always black so you cannot find anything.

If I could make another one I would chose to make the table to 12x24, it is a more convenient size if you are not doing all kids tricks.

I think the suit case table is the only way to do local shows.

Bill
Chance Wolf
View Profile
Inner circle
2425 Posts

Profile of Chance Wolf
Glod & Bill,
Thank you for the additional excellent input. I really like the Luggage Pull-Out Handle idea. I fully agree that it is very awkward to roll these puppies around. I think I am well on my way to the perfect Suitcase Table...and WACKY!! Smile
Take care,
Chance
Creator of Wacky Wolf Productions & Fine Collectibles

A DECADE of building Magic and we're just getting started!

http://www.wolfsmagic.com
glodmagic
View Profile
Special user
USA
501 Posts

Profile of glodmagic
I'm already saving my money, Chance.
Remember ANY of your posts here can be Googled by your customers and Clients. Just entering your name in Google can bring up your negative comments that stay for years!
The Wizard of Hearts
View Profile
Veteran user
Tulsa, Oklahoma
323 Posts

Profile of The Wizard of Hearts
I currently use a large and small Joe Lefler Pro Suitcase Table. The velcro-friendly surfaces come in very handy!

I have a custom vinyl sign that I unroll and attach to the front of each table with velcro. The tables hold a ton of stuff and I'm very happy with them!
Tomino
View Profile
New user
Sweden
9 Posts

Profile of Tomino
I bought a record case for DJs (approximately $30) and an amplifier tripod (the ones you can buy in a regular stereo shop). The second tripod (yes, they come in pairs for left/right) is used for a regular table.

I like the professional look of it. Comments, anyone?

Click here to view attached image.
Chance Wolf
View Profile
Inner circle
2425 Posts

Profile of Chance Wolf
Tomino,

Not bad at all! Very resourceful and looks like it can do the job and saved you a bunch of cash.

Good job!
Chance

Bilwonder
View Profile
Veteran user
Oroville CA
327 Posts

Profile of Bilwonder
I look forward to your designs Chance. I've been "making do" with a suitcase table from Mac. It's nice to have a light table, but it's better to have a sturdy one...you can always move it with better wheels. And speaking of wheels, I think the table should be able to be pushed or pulled like dolly (as most suitcases nowdays). You probably wouldn't need locking wheels if the table had to be tilted to move.

I'd also like a table I can make ditches or steals to and from the front but still not have the front visibly open for people to look into, perhaps flap or divider. I've even thought of having attachable side boxes for this. The advantage of the attachable side box or boxes is that it not only could be used for loads, but as a catch box for "messes" of production items.

I like the shelf that set on top of the case, it lets people see a thin table top so they don't think I've got a secret hole in the table. Perhaps height adjustment could be made in both the wheels and the optional shelf to work off of.

Hope this all makes sense and is useful in your designs.
billswondershow.com
"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain
Chance Wolf
View Profile
Inner circle
2425 Posts

Profile of Chance Wolf
Bill,

Great input and I will add your ideas to the growing list of features. I can't use everybody's but I will do my best. I will be offering custom features at an extra cost but for the most part I am sure they will be pretty darn cool and serve most people's needs.

I just received a sample sheet of the substrate I plan to use for building the tables. It looks like it will work VERY well. I will begin building the final proto-type soon and will post pics as soon as it is complete.

Hang in there and keep the ideas coming.

Thanks guys!
Chance

JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Chance,

Is it a composite material? Or is it wood-based? Just curious.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
Chance Wolf
View Profile
Inner circle
2425 Posts

Profile of Chance Wolf
Jim,

Sorry to not be able to answer your question as I have to try to protect some of my "trade secrets"?...as long as I can. I will post most of the details when I begin to sell them.

The cost will be rather high so I will be offering a 100% satisfaction guarantee with the option to return the table (in MINT condition) for a full refund.

Take care,
Chance

Tod Todson
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
1296 Posts

Profile of Tod Todson
How's the table coming along, Chance?

Tod
Mystifier, Youth Speaker
<BR><BR>
Chance Wolf
View Profile
Inner circle
2425 Posts

Profile of Chance Wolf
Wacky Wolf Deluxe Suitcase Table UPDATE!
Hey folks,
I have had my hands full completing the Outhouse effect as well as our current line so time has been short to work on the Suitcase Table. I can say that the proto-type is about 80% complete and it looks incredible! The extra features I plan to add will be the final battle. I have to watch material/labor costs as best as I can yet deliver all the goods people would expect.
I have added a Heavy Duty Pull Up Handle which nests into the design quite well. I have also located Heavy Duty 3" Red Wheels which keep the bottom up off the ground a bit more and the look cool Smile
I would not expect to begin production on these until late Winter. I will post a complete photo set, online, showing ALL detils and close-up pics so you may see the extent of quality and detail.
That's all for now and thanks for the interest!
Chance Wolf
Wolf's Magic

King Of Pop
View Profile
Veteran user
Estonia
392 Posts

Profile of King Of Pop
I don't use it, because I travel with my car and so I am able to take my table where ever necessary. They don't look very longlasting Smile

God Bless You, I Love You
God Bless You, I Love You From The Bottom Of My Heart
jcanuck
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of jcanuck
Regarding suitables. I bought my first one about 1982 in Calgary Canada. It was manufactured by a fellow from British Columbia, Canada. The top folds up and locks in place with two pins that swivel out the sides. There is a lever at the bottom, back that you push to the left and the four legs just drop down from the bottom and you're ready to go. It had the tacky top hat, doves and rabbit screened on it, too and I used it that way for a few years. Then it began to wear, so I covered the entire case with foam padding and black fake leather. Not only did this help to hold the case together, but it looks good, too.

I am still using this case today!!! It has travelled to Jamaica with me and back again and to many thousands of home, corporate and public events. I only use it for the larger shows and it has served me well. It was a wise investment, for me.

Cheers

LOTHAR
Jon Beetham
View Profile
New user
Newcastle
71 Posts

Profile of Jon Beetham
I had a great one from France but believe it or not it was lost in transit from a charity function. The one case that I needed the most...
Barajista
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of Barajista
Does anyone know where to find plans to make a suitcase table? I don't have much in the way of tools, but can borrow if I need to.
AlmostAmazingJames
View Profile
New user
80 Posts

Profile of AlmostAmazingJames
Chance,
A nice feature on a suitcase table would be two small speakers on each side for michrophones and music.
JB the Clown
View Profile
New user
Ireland
25 Posts

Profile of JB the Clown
I have spent 4 solid days scouring the internet for somewhere in Ireland or the UK (preferably london) that stocks a Joe Lefler case - and I cant find anywhere.

Can anyone either recommend somewhere - or an alternative case that I can get my hands on in thise locations?

Oh to live in the USA!!!!
JB the Clown
a.k.a. John Broaders
www.jbtheclown.com
Gideon Sylvan
View Profile
Special user
Deerfield, IL
541 Posts

Profile of Gideon Sylvan
Does the Joe Lefler one double as a table, because I see a big handle on the top that could make using it as a table hard.
You know you are a magician when you have boxes full of lecture notes you have never read, but still are excited about going out and buying more.

www.gideonsylvan.com
Dali
View Profile
New user
25 Posts

Profile of Dali
I'm in the process of building a suitcase table - it's a metal "tool" suitcase that I bought at a surplus shop.

The suitcase itself is very rugged, and comes with dividers insider that are adjustable to fit what's put inside.

It fits everything for my kidshow except my production box and milk funnel - which are easily enough put in a duffel or another small bag.

All I have to do now is mount it to an old drum hardware stand. (I'm a drummer.) I bought the perfect mount at a music store that has old hardware odds and ends - was a bass drum mount for a tom tom rack. Perfect.

I may have a friend sew me a black table skirt that will velcro on to the table as well...that'll end up looking very nice.

And I believe the top of the table will be the perfect size for a closeup pad as well. Haven't tried that out yet.

Cheers,

Dali