The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Where to put it all... :: Pocket management for walk around (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
green4magic
View Profile
Regular user
184 Posts

Profile of green4magic
Limiting what you carry and getting the most mileage out of props is my solution.
I carry my entire walk-around act in my pockets.
My pockets contain:

5 die - Sacks, Matrix, Chink-a-Chink

2 Decks - Reg and ID plus Sharpie

1 Okito Box in bag with 4 Halves, 1 S, 1 FC

I'll do two to four hours of walk-around with above.
Hart Keene
View Profile
Inner circle
Eugene, OR
1486 Posts

Profile of Hart Keene
What about "the Vest" by Bob James Magic Shop. Or is it the "Houdini Vest"? I can't remember what it is called but I have it. It has all the pockets you could ever need...worn by itself or under a jacket I can guarantee that you will have more pockets than you know what to do with...
-Hart

Check out my website:
Magician Portland Oregon
Magicmaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1235 Posts

Profile of Magicmaven
If you have a jacket on, and pants (let's hope), you should be fine. Two pant pockets- That carries multiple decks, coins, and more. Two jacket pockets, not including the inside pocket- that's for more decks, and gaffed items,or even cups and balls. Five pockets should be good enough for a walk around, maybe you need an extra little fanny pack. If you need more room, I would think about the amount of magic you are carrying, and maybe you want to cut it down... IMHO (though I have yet to do walk around. lol)
rmaxgoodwin.com
https://rmaxgoodwin.com/
gerard1973
View Profile
Special user
Michigan, U.S.A.
688 Posts

Profile of gerard1973
Imagealter:

As far as I know there are NO books out there written specifically about magic pocket management. There are however, two books written about using your pockets for magic and how to use them for switches, ditches, steals etc. They are:

Pocket Power
by Jarle Leirpoll

More Pocket Power
by Jarle Leirpoll

You can find them for sale at Jarle Leirpoll's Magic Web pages at http://www.leirpoll.com or at his Misdirection Resource Center. The Pocket Power book was mentioned by johncesta in one of the above posts. I couldn't find any information about "the Vest" at Bob James Magic Shop that Magic w/ HART also mentioned in one of the above posts.

The Magic Café members all gave you many great ideas and suggestions about pocket management such as:

Leather Fanny Packs
Cargo Type Pants
Dove Vests
Small Close-Up Cases
Shirt Breast Pockets
Jacket Pockets
Vests

All of these are great ideas that you could use but I would take a look at the three pocket management accessories mentioned in the above posts:

The Pocket Pocket by Carl Andrew at Carl Andrews Comedy Magic Entertainment
The Close-Up Pocket Organizer at Klamm Magic
The Trick Indexer at Chazpro Magic

Here is some detailed information about these three pocket management accessories:

Carl Andrews Comedy Magic Entertainment
The Pocket Pocket
The Pocket-Pocket is a pocket organizer for your trouser pocket. It turns your trouser pocket into 8 pockets to easily organize your effects while performing. No more searching thru your pocket to find props, with the pocket-pocket, you know where everything is located.
Trouser Pocket Organizer: The Pocket--Pocket
- $10 plus Shipping in 2006 prices.

Klamm Magic
CLOSE-UP POCKET ORGANIZER
Transforms just 1 jacket pocket into 17 separate, easy access compartments. A mini close-up case at your finger-tips. For cumberbuns, too. Unique semi-rigid fabric keeps its shape to hold each coin, card, knife, thumbtip, ball, silk, etc. in an exact position for instant location. Without looking, locate the proper side of your color changing knife. Reduce the bulk of silks or sponge balls and keep colors separate.
Price: $9.50 in 2006 prices.

Chazpro Magic
TRICK INDEXER
Tired of digging in your pockets for magic props? This damages props and makes you look disorganized. The Trick Indexer organizes your props for quick and easy retrival, plus it protects them!
Hang the Trick Indexer inside your jacket. No sewing necessary. It is designed to attach and detach quickly. It holds lots of your favorite magic props. There are special pockets to hold several decks or cards, coins, sponge balls, rope, silks, packet tricks, etc. A large pocket on the back will hold jumbo cards, even a wand! $17.50 in 2006 prices.

Here's my suggestion imagealter, buy one of the pocket organizers mentioned above and take a look at Carl Andrew's DVD-R that he has out called "No Jacket Required." I don't have this DVD yet but I've heard that Carl has some pocket management ideas on this DVD plus you might learn some new great walk around effects that you can perform from your pockets. On this DVD, Carl performs and teaches the many routines he used when performing at the outdoor resort/restaurant in Maui. All the routines are fit in your pockets, are easily reset, and can be performed without a jacket. Perfect for restaurant workers or those who travel light and do apparently impromptu magic. It costs about $29.95 in 2006 prices.

I hope that this helps.

Gerard
"Confusion is not magic."
Dai Vernon
craiger123
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of craiger123
Quote:
On Mar 27, 2004, tommy k wrote:
I don't know of any books on pocket management but I did find a device that has helped me keep my pocket props in order. It is the pocket organizer from Klamm magic. I thought is was a little pricey for what you get but it works for me. I am even considering getting another one for my left pocket.

These are not sold anymore. He is offering to sell you the pattern for $35.