The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Where to put it all... :: Best table for traveling? (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Chris.Z
View Profile
Regular user
141 Posts

Profile of Chris.Z
Honestly, I'm just commenting so I can find this thread later. There is a tremendous wealth of information on tables here.
Melies
View Profile
Regular user
Boston
114 Posts

Profile of Melies
I had a custom table built for me by Spider-Legs (http://spiderlegs.com/). I was and am absolutely delighted with it:

*Solid wood, solidly made. There is no substitute, in my view, for real wood. Magicians' tables often look cheap, or simply utilitarian. That's fine, too. But I like to announce Who I Am by unfolding a really cool, uniquely constructed table with a gleaming mahogany finish. It looks classy, it looks professional, and it is.

*Folds up into a tight little package with a built-in handle, looking like a long, narrow briefcase. It is a wonder to see the thing being folded up again: spectators seem to find the whole thing really cool and inventive. Good message to send for my act, anyway.

*You can get these tailored exactly to your specs. Buzz, the guy who runs the business, is very helpful and accommodating. I wanted a table where my hands at rest would be flat on the table; a table narrow enough that I wouldn't seem too distant from my specs; a table long enough to do "cards across" comfortably with two spectators at either end. And I got it.

I hand-finished mine with mahogany, mostly because I wanted to use an environmentally friendly finish. That took a lot of time and effort (as anyone who has applied multiple finishes to wood before knows). But Buzz normally does the finishing himself, and cheaply. Later, I purchased a duffle bag online that fits it like a glove. I have been carrying this thing around now for months and so far haven't knicked or damaged it, owing to the duffle. (You could carry it around using the built-in wood cavity handle, but that is surely inviting dings.)

Anyone interested in seeing a photo, let me know, and I'll post one. The manufacturing end, not counting the finish I bought, cost me under $200. Well worth it for a lifetime investment in my magic.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard

this is what I would use.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Zlwin Chew
View Profile
Elite user
Malaysian Magician with
437 Posts

Profile of Zlwin Chew
I have not used it but IKEA has some pretty interesting tables that can be packed small and set up in minutes. I have seen other magicians use them.
Melies
View Profile
Regular user
Boston
114 Posts

Profile of Melies
My Spiderlegs table, in various stages of readiness (having trouble uploading this ***ed photo--I will keep trying).

Click here to view attached image.
tiedyeballoonguy
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of tiedyeballoonguy
Here is a table that I really hope becomes a reality.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/796......a-tabl-0

Carl Woody
migwar
View Profile
Elite user
west yorkshire, UK
457 Posts

Profile of migwar
I've been using a aluminium briefcase on a tripod for a while but now looking for something portable but a bit more professional.

This looks great but not sure how well Astroboard will hold up?

http://www.thewoodwizard.co.uk/?page_id=56
magicsecure
View Profile
New user
80 Posts

Profile of magicsecure
What about a adjustable music stand lay the top flat and then sit a briefcase on top and make a flap of wood Hanging from the top inside that you can flip up . have attached swinging legs under that so you have a table top and the storage under that make a place for the legs to lock or sit in
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Adjustable music stands are typically very light weight, don't have a way to hold something flat very well, and tip easily. don't they?
iluzjonista
View Profile
Regular user
187 Posts

Profile of iluzjonista
How you connect table top/ briefcase with tripod? Most of the tripods have thread 6 mm (1/4 inch) in diameter and I can't find the right connector for it on internet.
Taterini
View Profile
Special user
604 Posts

Profile of Taterini
Quote:
On Mar 1, 2016, iluzjonista wrote:
How you connect table top/ briefcase with tripod? Most of the tripods have thread 6 mm (1/4 inch) in diameter and I can't find the right connector for it on internet.

I sent you a PM regarding this
GetMental64
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of GetMental64
The best tables for traveling are the ones made by SPIDER evoflex. The spider tables and backdrops are high quality made in Germany equipment and are light to carry, easy and fast to set up and take down and last a lifetime. They also make the great Qble table, which I also use in my kids show.
Stephon Johnson
View Profile
Special user
Razorback Country
544 Posts

Profile of Stephon Johnson
Https://youtu.be/LYbsW35R0AM

I have this portable laptop table. However, watch the video. This table is completely self-contained travel case and everything. I have one and wait for it...
This can be screwed onto your favorite performing table top.
The four telescoping legs mean that you can level your performing table ANYWHERE, even on a slope or a uneven cobblestone walkway! Plus they are strong and everything packs away on the bottom.
Even if you don’t want to add another tabletop, it is fine just use the top as is...just add a closeup pad!

Blessings!
Steph
WHAT IF you wake up tomorrow with ONLY the things that you THANK GOD for today?
The Accountant
View Profile
New user
LosAngeles
2 Posts

Profile of The Accountant
Any knows where I can get customized travel table. 50cm by 30 cm..i recently move to LA and I didn't bring my prop table
Rook
View Profile
Special user
I went to the Magic Cafe and all I got were these lousy
834 Posts

Profile of Rook
I must confess, this is my favorite one so far. It's served me very well over the last few years, sturdy as a rock, sets up in a few seconds and is extraordinarily lightweight. It's also fairly inexpensive compared to many performance tables and is readily available at any hardware store.

The downside is that it will not carry your props and is remarkably ugly for a magic table. I cover it with a largish table cloth that reaches the floor.

https://www.amazon.com/WORX-WX066-Sideki......72X4T8BF
Those who don't believe in magic will never find it.

-Roald Dahl
Nem
View Profile
New user
Florida
59 Posts

Profile of Nem
[quote]On Oct 21, 2013, Dick Oslund wrote:

Karrell invited me to come along on a club date in Detroit (20 years ago) His 30 minute act carried in a leather "shoe box' size case (which also carried the tripod table base! I asked him where he found the table base. He said it was a base used by court reporters to hold their stenotype machines. He had paid $75.00 for it in an office supply store.

Dick, I imagine the case was also the stenographer type? Been thinking of putting something like this together for a long time.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Quote:
On Apr 3, 2019, Rook wrote:
I must confess, this is my favorite one so far. It's served me very well over the last few years, sturdy as a rock, sets up in a few seconds and is extraordinarily lightweight. It's also fairly inexpensive compared to many performance tables and is readily available at any hardware store.

The downside is that it will not carry your props and is remarkably ugly for a magic table. I cover it with a largish table cloth that reaches the floor.

https://www.amazon.com/WORX-WX066-Sideki......72X4T8BF

Usually non-magic tables lack the proper height (too short). But this one actually looks like it could work.
How do you like the height Rook? is it C*** high? Ish?
Zauberman
View Profile
Veteran user
321 Posts

Profile of Zauberman
Two tables I that I wish for but don't own but have seen them in use and can vouch for their awesomeness.

From Zauberparadies in Switzerland. An absolute gem of a table for the serious busker:

https://www.zauberparadies.ch/exklusiv/s......sch.html

and this very function table which is very lite and packs up very small. A Buskers Delight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuoPKiR31FY

Unfortunately the 1st one may be out of the range of some and the 2nd I don't think is available. But may give you the idea of what to look for in a table.

Note: One Swiss Franc equals one US Dollar
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
[quote]On Apr 13, 2019, Nem wrote:
Quote:
On Oct 21, 2013, Dick Oslund wrote:

Karrell invited me to come along on a club date in Detroit (20 years ago) His 30 minute act carried in a leather "shoe box' size case (which also carried the tripod table base! I asked him where he found the table base. He said it was a base used by court reporters to hold their stenotype machines. He had paid $75.00 for it in an office supply store.

Dick, I imagine the case was also the stenographer type? Been thinking of putting something like this together for a long time.

About 2 or 3 years later, while on the road, in Fresno, CA, I found karrell's "twin" base! It's a very strong tripod and is about 13" long when folded. It was ob a table with a sign:

"Anything on this table, $2.00. The zipper plastic case was with it. I grabbed it. At the check out counter, the lady asked which table I had found it on. I pointed and she said that's all 1/2 price! Karrell almost fainted when I showed him!

I was thinking of a smaller case for club dates, than my 13" x 20" x 8" fiber "fat" attache case (for the school show). I used the smaller case about
the same as Karrell's, for awhile, but, finally gave it to a friend.

Much of the props in my school show, came from thrift shops!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Watson
View Profile
New user
North Carolina
68 Posts

Profile of Watson
Quote:
On Apr 9, 2015, tiedyeballoonguy wrote:
Here is a table that I really hope becomes a reality.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/796......a-tabl-0

Carl Woody

I believe this is the finished result: http://mcchitech.com/multi-pro-station.html
The Celtic Conjurer - Insperata Floruit!