The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Deck the Halls :: The Boardwalk Papers / The Blue Crown (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
DavidKenney
View Profile
Inner circle
2178 Posts

Profile of DavidKenney
Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9vGLoKMYgU

The Boardwalk Papers deck was inspired by boardwalks and small theme parks of yesteryear, with a really fun vintage vibe.

Buy yours: http://thebluecrown.com/boardwalk-papers-deck.html
AutarchicFlux
View Profile
Special user
601 Posts

Profile of AutarchicFlux
I just received my cards in the mail today, and to my shock, several hours after receiving them, I can confirm that this is the first deck of cards I have ever owned that will not faro correctly, either face-down or face-up. I've used bicycles, tally-hos, elluisionist decks, theory11, etc...I have never before had a deck so stubbornly refuse to faro together. It seems to work better face-up, but their performance is still abysmal, even compared to an old deck of Bikes. I will be contacting The Blue Crown to see if I can get a refund on my remaining sealed decks.
AutarchicFlux
View Profile
Special user
601 Posts

Profile of AutarchicFlux
To be fair, they're very nice cards otherwise. I just don't understand why they would be cut opposite from just about ever brand of cards out there, and not advertised as such. I find that cards cut this way tend to faro poorly in general, as the natural tendency from normal handling causes cards to bow naturally in the other direction. Disadvantageous for perfect faros.
DavidKenney
View Profile
Inner circle
2178 Posts

Profile of DavidKenney
Well, you also understand that this is not a USPCC deck - which you are comparing them to. Expert makes and cuts their cards differently
AutarchicFlux
View Profile
Special user
601 Posts

Profile of AutarchicFlux
After talking with The Blue Crown over the past few days, some of my confusion surrounding decks and the "standard cut" / "traditional cut" distinction has been cleared up. These cards actually don't faro face UP very well, which is what I'm used to.

Nevertheless, after a few days practice and breaking them in, I'm starting to figure out how to faro face-down a little better. Still not what I'm used to, and I wish they'd have mentioned something about the cut in the advertising, but I'll be keeping my boardwalk papers after all. Smile
DavidKenney
View Profile
Inner circle
2178 Posts

Profile of DavidKenney
What cut did they tell you it was?
AutarchicFlux
View Profile
Special user
601 Posts

Profile of AutarchicFlux
Traditional Cut, like Phoenix cards.
DavidKenney
View Profile
Inner circle
2178 Posts

Profile of DavidKenney
Yea traditional cards are a face down "table" faro.
pnielan
View Profile
Regular user
Northern California
154 Posts

Profile of pnielan
So this traditional versus standard/modern cut thing can be confusing as many contradictory posts in the Magic Café demonstrate. Here's why. When someone say they faro face up or face down: that's not enough to make any sense relative to the cut of the cards. For example: "These cards actually don't faro face UP very well, which is what I'm used to." That's not enough information. You also have to consider whether the weave starts from the bottom or the top.

There are four combinations of faro shuffle to think about

FACE DOWN WEAVE FROM TOP
FACE DOWN WEAVE FROM BOTTOM
FACE UP WEAVE FROM TOP
FACE UP WEAVE FROM BOTTOM

I just received a deck of Boardwalk cards and tested.

FACE DOWN WEAVE FROM TOP---HARD
FACE DOWN WEAVE FROM BOTTOM---EASY
FACE UP WEAVE FROM TOP---EASY
FACE UP WEAVE FROM BOTTOM---HARD

AutarchicForce---can you confirm same?

Hope this helps.
DavidKenney
View Profile
Inner circle
2178 Posts

Profile of DavidKenney
Autarchik Flux, just to clarify "card-shark" (the designer of Phoenix cards) said this on the magic-cafe on Feb 3, 2014

"We definitely went back to the cut through the backs, where the Faro is smoothly done, starting from the backs, going to the faces. BUT: we still have decks in our warehouse that were cut the other way round. So all the carditians who want to do face down table faros: just mention that when you order them and we will give you these decks."

So, the "old" Phoenix cards were cut traditional, but now the newer ones are not.