The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Deck the Halls :: 7 Top Marked Decks (11 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
ltrblst
View Profile
Loyal user
226 Posts

Profile of ltrblst
Quote:
On Jan 6, 2021, ltrblst wrote:
Thank you for the excellent articles!

What do you think of the Phoenix marked decks?

Any update?

Thanks!
EndersGame
View Profile
Inner circle
Reviewer EndersGame
2201 Posts

Profile of EndersGame
Quote:
On Jan 6, 2021, ltrblst wrote:
What do you think of the Phoenix marked decks?

I personally haven't tried them yet, so I don't have experience with them I'm afraid.

But I do know that they are well regarded by a lot of people.
RobertCampbell
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of RobertCampbell
Quote:
On Sep 10, 2020, docguitarman wrote:
Hello Ender,
Just picked up a deck of the Mortalis cards. If my eyes don't deceive me. it looks like the 2H is missing the marking from one end. That means if you don't check both ends you could misread the 2H as that other card!
Regards,
Phil

I also purchased a deck of the Mortalis cards, and I love them. I checked my two of hearts and it is marked correctly, however in my deck the 2C is incorrectly marked as the Ace of clubs Smile

Did you ever get a response?
EndersGame
View Profile
Inner circle
Reviewer EndersGame
2201 Posts

Profile of EndersGame
Quote:
On Sep 12, 2020, docguitarman wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 10, 2020, EndersGame wrote:
Hi Phil, I think you're right about this.

I just checked my copy of this deck, and the 2H has the marking for the suit on both sides of the card, but the marking for the value 2 is missing on one side.

It might be worth contacting the creator of this deck, Pravar Jain, about this over at Area52Magic. His email addresses are listed at the end of the PDF which has the info about the marking system.

Thanks Ender, I just dropped him line.

I'm also wondering whether you got a response from the creator Pravar Jain about this.
docguitarman
View Profile
Special user
Thousand Oaks, California
890 Posts

Profile of docguitarman
Quote:
On Jul 24, 2021, EndersGame wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

I just checked my copy of this deck, and the 2H has the marking for the suit on both sides of the card, but the marking for the value 2 is missing on one side.

It might be worth contacting the creator of this deck, Pravar Jain, about this over at Area52Magic. His email addresses are listed at the end of the PDF which has the info about the marking system.

I'm also wondering whether you got a response from the creator Pravar Jain about this.

Never had a reply.
docguitarman
View Profile
Special user
890 Posts

Profile of docguitarman
Quote:
On Jul 24, 2021, docguitarman wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 24, 2021, EndersGame wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

Never had a reply.

I just rechecked my deck to verify, my 2H is missing the value on one side and also discovered the second KH is marked as a KD.
Nikodemus
View Profile
Inner circle
1211 Posts

Profile of Nikodemus
Enders -
I appreciate the effort you have put into this article (and many others).
But since it is about marked decks, I feel you have failed to address the most important question (for me) - which is readability. I presume you must have excellent eyesight, unlike myself, and you take good eyesight for granted.

I have bought multiple marked decks based on positive reviews on the Café - only to discover the marks are minuscule. A good example is the Dapper Deck, which is beautiful, but worthless to me as a "marked" deck. Likewise the King And Legacy is described by you as "easy to read" - but David of MagicOrthodoxy says they are "almost impossible to read". (I agree with him.)

I think it would be a good idea to actually measure the markings. This would be provide objective information.
I have just measured the height of the (larger) marks on a Maiden back deck - they are about 1/8 inch (4mm).

I hope this feedback is useful.
Nick
EndersGame
View Profile
Inner circle
Reviewer EndersGame
2201 Posts

Profile of EndersGame
Good points, Nikodemus. My plan is to write another piece about recommended marked decks, giving more attention to readability, as you suggest.

I also will exclude decks which are customized in any way, and focus on those that have a classic Bicycle style look.
Nikodemus
View Profile
Inner circle
1211 Posts

Profile of Nikodemus
Thanks for taking my comments on board!
I just realised I also have a Mechanic deck. It's a very clever system - but simply too small for me.

I understand that Bicycle decks are ubiquitous in the USA (& maybe Canada?). But that is certainly not the case in Europe, including the UK (where I live). So the idea that anything non-Bicycle is unusual/suspicious is simply not true here. Personally I would be happy to see reviews of any marked deck, whatever the back design.
EndersGame
View Profile
Inner circle
Reviewer EndersGame
2201 Posts

Profile of EndersGame
What kinds of playing cards are most commonly used in the UK? And what brand would a magician typically use to send the message "normal deck" to a spectator?

Presumably these would still have standard courts and standard pips, or is customization there also quite common to use for performing card magic?
AnthonyCC
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of AnthonyCC
Thanks for sharing!
docguitarman
View Profile
Special user
890 Posts

Profile of docguitarman
I just did one last check through the Mortalis deck. Here is what I believe are all the errors:

2H missing value on one end
Extra KH is marked as KD
And I verified my 2C is also marked as the AC as mentioned above.

Verification would be appreciated.
Phil
EndersGame
View Profile
Inner circle
Reviewer EndersGame
2201 Posts

Profile of EndersGame
And still no reply or comment from the creator at all?
docguitarman
View Profile
Special user
890 Posts

Profile of docguitarman
Quote:
On Aug 1, 2021, EndersGame wrote:
And still no reply or comment from the creator at all?

No reply.

My solution to the deck is to just toss the 2C and 2H from the deck. No one will notice in the effects I will use it in (such as spectator as mind reader). I tried to modify the backs of those two cards but the results were less than ideal. Hence the tosses!

The miss marked extra KH can still be used as a dupe for other effects.

Phil
docguitarman
View Profile
Special user
890 Posts

Profile of docguitarman
Here's another marked deck I picked up recently: Moonshine Elixir by Lloyd Barnes.

The marks are readers, easy enough to see. I like the backs, a classic look with entwined question marks. The deck has one joker with whiskey casks on it. There is an extra 6 of spades.

The deck has some puzzles in it. Surprised not to see any discussion on the puzzles. I won't divulge what I've "decoded" so far, but suffice it to say its the easy stuff!

The tuck box side flaps have a "6" on one flap and a "?" on the other. The "6" flap could be used with extra 6 of spades in someway.

The flap itself has some hex code on it. Which decodes to a string of decimal numbers with 2 (!) decimal points in it. I haven't figured out what the string of decimal digits signifies.

There are 3 sides of extra "puzzle" cards in the deck with 1,2, and 3 dots on them in the lower right corner.

One dot side: This is a simple substitution cipher. deciphered yields a riddle. I haven't answered the riddle yet.
Two dot side: This has substitution cipher which yields a clue. The cipher is also followed by a string of hexadecimal code. I've made an attempt to use the clue on the hex strings but no success yet.
Three dot side: This is a Latin phrase, which translates to, "How many days did I walk on the earth?" How this relates I'm still pondering.

This goes a little beyond discussing a marked deck! Any thoughts on the puzzles? Do they yield something more than just a mental exercise?

Phil
EndersGame
View Profile
Inner circle
Reviewer EndersGame
2201 Posts

Profile of EndersGame
Quote:
On Nov 29, 2021, docguitarman wrote:
Here's another marked deck I picked up recently: Moonshine Elixir by Lloyd Barnes.

Thanks for the tip, I hadn't heard of Moonshine Vintage Elixir Playing Cards before.

It certainly has unusual looking card backs:

docguitarman
View Profile
Special user
890 Posts

Profile of docguitarman
Quote:
On Nov 29, 2021, EndersGame wrote:
Quote:
On Nov 29, 2021, docguitarman wrote:

Thanks for the tip, I hadn't heard of Moonshine Vintage Elixir Playing Cards before.

I hadn't either! I only discovered them by accident by way of a Big Blind Media video. I believe it was Liam Montier that used them in a trick. I had to do an image search to track the deck down as I wanted to get the deck mainly for the "look."

Phil