The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The Depository :: An elegant touch - tips for improving boxes (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
jconz
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of jconz
Hello,

There are many beautiful decks of cards being made these days. Here is a little tip I want to share that I use on certain decks that can really clean up the appearance of a special deck.

I hit upon this idea (I am sure I am not the first) when I started looking at my beautiful Bicycle Warrior Horse deck that I purchased to use only for Hypnodeck.

The deck itself is beautiful, but the box has marketing messages all over the back of it, a huge white UPC code on the bottom, and a legal disclaimer about trademarks on the lid flap. I want my deck to look elegant and special, not like I just bought it at the corner bodega.

Luckily, as with many special decks these days, there was an elegant looking marketing card that came with the deck that is written in Chinese, and is much more attractive than the back of the deck box. I put this deck over the back of the box, sandwiching it under the cellophane. I also cut a small rectangle the exact size of the bottom of the deck out of some black linen card stock, and I slid it down the cellophane and maneuvered it to the bottom. Finally, I used a sharpie to black out the white-text notice on the flap pertaining to legal trademarks.

Now, I feel the box looks much better, and has a more refined appearance. I took several pictures, but for now I will just upload a picture that shows a "before box" and and after box.

I then looked through my other card decks and found several other candidates for this same treatment. Try it!

Click here to view attached image.
RiderBacks
View Profile
Loyal user
251 Posts

Profile of RiderBacks
That's quite creative. It's a shame that the USPC sees fit to make everything so ugly. The situation probably has something to do with some combination of their short-sighted marketing department and their legal department.