The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Not very magical, still... :: Godzilla Minus One (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
Turns out there are still great movies being made.
I recommend setting aside any (well, most) expectations you might have for a Gojira movie. The monster is awesome but you won't see much of him (which also turns out to be brilliantly executed, I heard they were inspired by Jaws.)
It's about the people and their stories went in ways I definitely did not expect and will not ruin for anyone else.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21287 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Funny thing about Jaws.

They never could get the thing to work! Spielberg said in an interview he wanted to score it immediately but since “Bruce” wouldn’t work they had to find really clever ways to not show the thing. Worked out amazing as it turns out.

I enjoy Godzilla and an anxious to see this offering.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Here is a very positive review of the movie. She goes into some fun details that would be of interest to fans, but non-fans would enjoy as well, I think.

My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
Quote:
On Dec 23, 2023, Dannydoyle wrote:
Funny thing about Jaws.

They never could get the thing to work! Spielberg said in an interview he wanted to score it immediately but since “Bruce” wouldn’t work they had to find really clever ways to not show the thing. Worked out amazing as it turns out.

Yeah it's interesting that Jaws wasn't planned that way but it ended up working better with "less is more."
~Will Rogers
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21287 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Dec 23, 2023, critter wrote:
Quote:
Funny thing about Jaws.

Yeah it's interesting that Jaws wasn't planned that way but it ended up working better with "less is more."

It is interesting that it is film school dogma now that waiting creates expectation.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
I've never been a huge (pun intended) fan of kaiju or robots but I honestly loved Kong: Skull Island and Godzilla vs Kong and was expecting something along those lines but this was objectively a better movie. Still looking forward to Godzilla x Kong, though.
~Will Rogers
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21287 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I have enjoyed the build to that myself.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
Quote:
Funny thing about Jaws.

There is currently a play on Broadway; "The Shark Is Not Working," where the three actors are sitting on the boat, discussing stuff, while waiting for the shark to work. It's fascinating.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21287 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Dec 28, 2023, ed rhodes wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Funny thing about Jaws.

There is currently a play on Broadway; "The Shark Is Not Working," where the three actors are sitting on the boat, discussing stuff, while waiting for the shark to work. It's fascinating.

It was a play, it ran its course. Ended in November

It was actually called “The Shark Is Broken”. Did you see it?

It was nothing short of hilarious and started Robert Shaw’s son. He also co-wrote it.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Dec 31, 2023, Dannydoyle wrote:
Quote:
On Dec 28, 2023, ed rhodes wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Funny thing about Jaws.

It was a play, it ran its course. Ended in November

It was actually called “The Shark Is Broken”. Did you see it?

It was nothing short of hilarious and started Robert Shaw’s son. He also co-wrote it.

I didn't know it had ended. And, thanks for the correction on the title. All I saw of it was the scene where they're discussing what the movie "means." Dreyfuss thinks it's man again nature, Schider thinks is man facing his fears and Shaw looks a little confused and says; "I think it's about a bloody shark!"
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7619 Posts

Profile of RNK
My 19 & 16 year old sons went to see the new Aquaman. They were very disappointed and told me that movies being made today keep getting worse.
Check out Bafflingbob.com
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On Jan 8, 2024, RNK wrote:
My 19 & 16 year old sons went to see the new Aquaman. They were very disappointed and told me that movies being made today keep getting worse.

It was subpar, to be honest.
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Quote:
On Dec 31, 2023, ed rhodes wrote:
I didn't know it had ended. And, thanks for the correction on the title. All I saw of it was the scene where they're discussing what the movie "means." Dreyfuss thinks it's man again nature, Schider thinks is man facing his fears and Shaw looks a little confused and says; "I think it's about a bloody shark!"

I lol'd at this. I then told my wife, who was reading a book in the next room. She lol'd, too!
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21287 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Jan 8, 2024, RNK wrote:

I’m not at all certain what people expect from movies. I found it a pleasant diversion to eat a bag of popcorn through.

It won’t change my life in any way other than that but what more does anyone expect going in? It was a superhero movie, not the Shawshank Redemption.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus