The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Not very magical, still... :: Multiple Persona (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
funsway
View Profile
Eternal Order
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
10001 Posts

Profile of funsway
Not a rant - I really do wish to understand what today's audience might expect and appreciate.

I caught part of a radio interview Sunday where an "expert" on something unknown said,

"Everyone has multiple persona, and it is excusable if they get confused in their deceptions."

Have I missed something? When did having multiple persona become 'normal' or even common?

Why does having several persona imply that each is deceptive?
Yes, I can understand that person might present a different view of themselves at church, school or work;
but that does not require lies, deception. Or does it? Excusable behavior? Is it required behavior now?

As magicians, we use deception in an artistic and truthful way. We admit upfront that we will use artifice, guile, sleight of hand, etc. for entertainment.

I use 'funsway' here as an acronym - it is not a persona or name. Do folks think I am deceiving them in some way?
Do folks that lie regularly assume that everyone else lies too? Yeah, some white lies are acceptable to protect the feelings of others.
But, why make up silly false persona where you will get caught in your deceptions?

Why lie when the truth can serve as well? Yes, I am a bit mystified as well as confused.

Now, it seems everyone in the audience is more practiced at deception than we are. No wonder we get no respect.

Sad thing is that when I relate a true story everyone assumes I am making it up, or saw it on youtube.

Maybe this is a rant. Sigh!
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Fedora
View Profile
Special user
Arizona, usa
763 Posts

Profile of Fedora
"it is excusable if they get confused in their deceptions" that isn't excusable, it means you're a bad liar,
we have to start holding each other to a higher standard on the quality of our dishonesty.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27309 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On Apr 24, 2023, funsway wrote:
... When did having multiple persona become 'normal' or even common?...

Not personalities - masks. Consider the "just doing my job" thing we sometimes do. Smile Smile
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Animated Puppets
View Profile
Loyal user
Lost on a Green Screen
285 Posts

Profile of Animated Puppets
It's rather simple actually... you see, when I get caught in a fabrication of my own making and you hold me accountable, it vicariously causes me to experience anxiety. Therefore, I'm now the victim of your toxic behavior. #CancleCulture @ https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html

I await your apology.
I still recall the day I met Beaker from the Muppets. He said to me "Meep, meep, mee mee mee Meep!", and that has made all the difference.
funsway
View Profile
Eternal Order
10001 Posts

Profile of funsway
Quote:
On Apr 25, 2023, Animated Puppets wrote:
Cancleculture

Yup, my one and only persona. Thanks for the free advertising. More to come this year and on.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16557 Posts

Profile of tommy
The right hemisphere of the brain is irrational and is switched on by irrational stuff and switched off by rational stuff presented.

The left hemisphere of the brain is rational and is switched on by rational stuff and switched off by irrational stuff presented.

Therein lies the split personality in everybody and its control mechanism.

The wonderful thing about our magic is that the entirely irrational is proved by entirely irrational means, which creates a magic moment where the split personality becomes one.

If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
funsway
View Profile
Eternal Order
10001 Posts

Profile of funsway
Split personality and creating multiple persona are entirely different

nice thoughts but misplaced here.

tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16557 Posts

Profile of tommy
Creating anything requires a crossing of opposites. To create a new person a man needs a woman.

Multiply: symbol X
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
funsway
View Profile
Eternal Order
10001 Posts

Profile of funsway
Quote:
On Apr 26, 2023, tommy wrote:
Creating anything requires a crossing of opposites.

an interesting opinion that has nothing to do with this thread theme.

I disagree, of course, since most of my creations come from synergy or collocation more than divergence.
Occasionally, pure imagination or chance emergence works also.

back to this thread - is this really tommy posting, or some other persona pretending to be?

tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16557 Posts

Profile of tommy
“Have I missed something? When did having multiple persona become 'normal' or even common?” -Ken

Perhaps you missed the lities: multiple persona(lities).

Tommy
funsway
View Profile
Eternal Order
10001 Posts

Profile of funsway
Nope - persona and personalities are complete different.

I was obviously talking about folks who fabricate multiple completely fictitious persona with different back-stories, credentials and manner, etc.
They may indeed have some personality disorders, but the problem (for me) is the web of lies and deceit that is often unnecessary.

tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16557 Posts

Profile of tommy
We cannot be having multiple persona: we can have a persona, the plural is personae or personas or personalities.

Tommy
funsway
View Profile
Eternal Order
10001 Posts

Profile of funsway
Quote:
On Apr 27, 2023, tommy wrote:
We cannot be having multiple persona: we can have a persona, the plural is personae or personas or personalities.

In this you may be technically correct - in England where there is concern for grammar, etc.

In the USA, "personae" would be considered pretentious or too long a word to be remembered. Smile

"Yes, I have persona A and persona B, and am working on C."

"Personalities" is oranges amongst the apples. The singular is 'personality' that has many different connotations not applicable to this thread.

In marketing classes, I was taught "multiple persona" to emphasize that each was unique as opposed to several customers.
Similar to "give the man a hand" meaning "applause," that is not possible with one hand -
while "two hands" is redundant since "two" already makes it plural. Weird language.

Thanks, though. I future writings I will pay more attention to the variance of meaning of plurals vs "group of things"

I would certainly say, "He had many different personae." "Multiple personas" is redundant and couple imply several persons/actors. Sigh!

Animated Puppets
View Profile
Loyal user
Lost on a Green Screen
285 Posts

Profile of Animated Puppets
I've always used the term 'masks'. It's like when you are at work and you tell someone to have a great day or other pleasantries.

I still recall the day I met Beaker from the Muppets. He said to me "Meep, meep, mee mee mee Meep!", and that has made all the difference.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16557 Posts

Profile of tommy
“I caught part of a radio interview Sunday where an "expert" on something unknown said,”

"Everyone has multiple persona, and it is excusable if they get confused in their deceptions." -Ken

Later:

“In marketing classes, I was taught "multiple persona" to emphasize that each was unique as opposed to several customers.” -Ken

Perhaps Ken and the expert were classmates. Or perhaps Ken just got confused in his deceptions, cracked out of turn and crumbed the play.

Tommy
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16557 Posts

Profile of tommy
As an MKUltra expert once said "A child can understand a mask but when that mask is removed to reveal another mask underneath it, the child gets confused.

Tommy
funsway
View Profile
Eternal Order
10001 Posts

Profile of funsway
Well, tommy - we are off in the swamp once more at your persistence. What are you fishing for?

tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16557 Posts

Profile of tommy
Well Ken, in the first place it was you that swamped us with questions and went fishing for answers in a mystified as well as a confused rant. Up to our armpits in alligators, we tried to drain your swamp, by guessing what the expert might have meant by "Everyone has multiple persona, and it is excusable if they get confused in their deceptions." It is hard for anybody here to know what the expert meant because we have been given no context but merely a line from a radio show. He could have been talking about shoes for all we know: “For me, everyone has many personas.” -Christian Louboutin

Tommy
funsway
View Profile
Eternal Order
10001 Posts

Profile of funsway
Tommy - I think every other reader here knows what I meant - and what the expert meant.

Yup, life is filled with heard comments "out of context" and we are challenged to find meaning and relevance.

I am glad for your participation, but please address that question.

tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16557 Posts

Profile of tommy
There are at least half a dozen questions in your opening post. That alone makes it clear that you do not know what you are talking about. If you know what the expert meant, how about you tell us and tell us how you know when all you have is a line from a radio show?

Tommy