The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Not very magical, still... :: I’m ranting here! Please bear with me! :: TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Margarette
View Profile
Special user
Memphis area
956 Posts

Profile of Margarette
Why is it that just because I do not have a 9-5 job, no one thinks I work?

I work, and I work hard!

I don’t work an 8 hour day... I work 12 and fifteen hour days, minimum!!

This past weekend, I was visiting with my grandmother, who is in town for a few weeks. She wants to go home before Thanksgiving, and everyone in my family suggested me... "Margarette doesn’t work... get her to take you home." She asked me, and I told her I couldn’t... I have three shows this week, plus getting ready to go to Indianapolis on Thursday.

I’m leaving town right after the show on Thursday. She thought I needed to just cancel the shows so I could take her home.

Everyone also thinks they can tell me that I don’t need to be traveling so much... I’ll never find a husband that way! Well, I traveled more with the Highway Department than I do with magic, but since magic is not a ’real’ job, they don’t think I should be going anywhere.

It was perfectly fine for me to be gone three and four days a week on jobsites... but heaven forbid I be gone a long weekend for magic!! That’s just not right! It was perfectly fine for me to miss my oldest son’s first school play because I was sent four hours away to monitor some construction... but, for me to be gone three days, with nothing important happening, to a magic function... I should be horsewhipped for that!

I mean, I’m a single parent of two boys. I am self employed. Their dad always complains he doesn’t see them enough, so they stay with him when I’m out of town. He does not mind that one bit!!

My boys understand about my need to travel. In fact, they look forward to it because Mom always brings them back something neat from where she’s been (ok, tiny bit of guilt working here).

The only time I’ve been out of town over a significant holiday was my trip to NYC last April/May. When I scheduled the trip, I was unaware that I’d be gone over Mother’s Day. It all worked out fine, though... major guilt working here - the oldest got a Nintendo 64 and the youngest got a GameBoy.

This is one reason why I seem to make every OTHER IBM convention... I only go when they are not with me. Although, this next year, I’m gonna try to take them with me... it’s in San Diego. I’ll bring along a babysitter to take them to all the fun stuff!!

I work hard to make a good life for my kids and me. We don’t have as much money as when I worked for the Highway Department, but, we are a lot happier. When my kids grow up, they will remember that although Mom was gone some, she was there for school plays, and field trips, and classroom parties, and all the other cool stuff!

I like my life the way it is now! I like the travel, and I like the freedom to be able to do stuff with my kids when the time arises. I will admit there are times when I have to miss an occasional school function because of a deadline on an order, or a show comes up, but those times are far outweighed by the times I am available!

OK, I think I’m done, now! Thanks for letting me rant! I guess I need to print out a copy of this post and send it to all my relatives! Smile I apologize if I don’t make any sense... like I said, I’m ranting here! I very rarely make sense when I’m ranting!

Margarette
The only stupid question is the one not asked.
John Zander
View Profile
Loyal user
Downey, CA
247 Posts

Profile of John Zander
Don’t let it get to you Margarette. 9 to 5’ers don’t see entertainers as having "real jobs" and that will never change.

Thank you,

John Zander

The Award Winning

Comedy Magic of

John Zander

http://www.ZanderMagic.com

http://www.AllMagic.net

Thank you,

John Zander

The Award Winning

Comedy Magic of

John Zander

http://www.ZanderMagic.com

http://www.AllMagic.net
The Dead Ranger
View Profile
New user
Biloxi, Mississippi
45 Posts

Profile of The Dead Ranger
I’ll second that comment about 9 to 5ers...

I haven’t worked 9-5 in a long time and even though I’ve been constantly employed, I still hear; "so... when are you gonna get a real job?"

Take heart. We all know that the world doesn’t stop at 5:00. Without the rest of us... what would the 9-5ers do when they get off?

Yer Ol’ Pal - The Dead Ranger

~ Embrace the Dragon ~

http://reddragonranch.hypermart.net/
Michael Peterson
View Profile
Inner circle
is where I'm trapped, because of my
4071 Posts

Profile of Michael Peterson
The key here is that your doing what makes you happy.

To those who don't think entertaining is a real job, let them try it.

Perhaps you could have offered to have one of your family members do your shows while you drove Grandma home? After all,it's not "real work".

Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
Mya Angel
View Profile
Special Assistant
California
1396 Posts

Profile of Mya Angel
I think it's jealousy. Smile
There is nothing that remains so constant as change. Don't end up like concrete, all mixed up and permanently set. Smile

He who slings mud will surely lose ground.
Steve Brooks
View Profile
Founder / Manager
Northern California - United States
3783 Posts

Profile of Steve Brooks
I think you're right Mya. I wouldn't worry Margarette, most folks have no idea how much work we put into our magic projects, be it shows, creating, or even the cafe (shameless plug). Smile

I've played in several bands, and again, folks think it's all fun and games. Let them pack up a set of drums at 3am after playing hard for six hours. Smile

Anyway, I think your posts will let other's realize they are not alone. Don't worry Margarette, know that as you're magic family, we understand. Smile
"Always be you because nobody else can" - Steve Brooks
magiker
View Profile
Loyal user
Sweden
283 Posts

Profile of magiker
Don´t worry about it.

I had the same problem once.

They would soon complain if all the entertainers quit to do nine till five jobs

:bg: Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
Magiker

Believe in the possibility of the impossible
Bengi
View Profile
Veteran user
Georgia
309 Posts

Profile of Bengi
Don't let it get to ya, Margarette:

Houdini's parents said the same thing about him..........when you become a household word, EVERYONE will change their tune!!

Bengi
Rob Wallis
View Profile
New user
The Other California
73 Posts

Profile of Rob Wallis
Quote:

On 2001-11-04 21:44, Margarette wrote:

I like my life the way it is now!

This is all you have to say: to them, to yourself, to anyone.
Tig Wallis
The Comic Psychic
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Remember: Please yourself.

That way, you know at least ONE person is going to be happy. Smile

cheers,

Peter Marucci

showtimecol@aol.com
Joshua Quinn
View Profile
Inner circle
with an outer triangle
2054 Posts

Profile of Joshua Quinn
Hey Margarette,

I realize this is late, but I wanted to throw in another vote to not let it get you down. I’ve been a professional keyboardist for about 8 years, toured the world, put my wife through grad school, performed and recorded with internationally famous acts... and some people still wonder when I’m gonna get a real job. There are people who "get it" and people who don’t, and those who don’t will hassle you about it til your dying day. Still, given the choice between dealing with that kind of cluelessness while doing what I love, or else spending 40 hours a week working some straight job, another 20 worrying about said job, and another 20 staring at Must See TV to try to take my mind off of said job... well, I’ll take the cluelessness any day.

Quinn
Every problem contains the seeds of its own solution. Unfortunately every problem also contains the seeds of an infinite number of non-solutions, so that first part really isn't super helpful.
Chad Sanborn
View Profile
Inner circle
my fingers hurt from typing,
2205 Posts

Profile of Chad Sanborn
I was once watching a thing about the secret lives of magicians and mentalists. on it was a great close-up guy named Brian Gillis. If you don’t know, he is a very successful magician. He talked about this very subject. Saying that people often ask him, "When are you gonna get a REAL job?". he went on to say that people just don’t realize that you don’t have to be a Copperfield or Seigfried and Roy to make a good living with magic.

As he talked he was washing his car (Jet black Dodge Viper with the license plate ’TRIX’) outside of his luxury home!

People think that you just go to a magic store, find some trix and PRESTO! you are David Copperfield. They don’t see the countless hours of practice and rehersal. The time spent developing a routine and patter.Which is why they don’t see it as work.

Chad

Smile
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Margarette,

Life is made up of choices, those choices are based on one’s personality and goals in life. Your decisions are your own and you really don’t need to answer to anyone.

Choosing a Magical Career is a personal choice. If it’s kids you want to entertain, then local shows are possible. If it is adults, then travel is a way of life. Copperfield and his troupe live out of a bus, but it is his/their choice. He also makes 50 million a year!

Theater is a tough field, and many actors starve, a magician is an actor who does a skit, good or bad. It is understandable on one’s wishes for another, but one does not live in those shoes.

Society has placed a picture on what is successful, married with 2.5 kids, in a big white picket fenced house, steady job, men do men things and women do women things. (Don’t ask?) You get the picture.

In today’s society, if you get married, your husband/wife must enjoy what you do or be part of it for you to be internally successful. It doesn’t always hinge on the almighty dollar. If it did, there would be fewer magicians.

Go for your heart’s desire, you’re kids will grow old and leave the nest, then where will you be? Your doing the right thing Margarette.

Smile
Dennis Michael
Joe Marotta
View Profile
Special user
Can You Believe I Have
944 Posts

Profile of Joe Marotta
Hi Margarette,

Friends and relatives can be so cold sometimes. Your real friends on this cafe have really said it well, so I'll just add a short note of encouragement to join theirs.

Our relatives and friends (well, some of them) want to see us do well and become successful, according to their definition of "successful". Deep inside, they probably mean well. But their attitudes and delivery is sometimes lacking in understanding, acceptance and love. We might say that they need to work on their patter!

Get a real job, they say?! Any person alive with half a brain (no offense Mr. Clinton) would know that being a single Mom having to raise two boys is the hardest job on the planet, bar none. This is not an 8 or 12 hour job, but a 24 hour non-stop, serving-others, putting-your-own-needs-last, sleep?-who-needs-sleep?, kind of job. I don't think there is a man alive who could do it!

Now add to that, running not one but two different private businesses, and you have not your average woman, nor a self centered woman, but a very rare woman who is focused, determined, strong, talented, educated, skilled, and unstoppable. This woman has her own category, she is the very rare, super woman.

Any woman who is in this elite category deserves only the highest praise from parents, family, friends, and all men everywhere.

Margarette, you are this person. You should feel very proud of yourself. You are doing what very few people in the world are capable of doing.

Know that we love you and are very proud of you!

Your friend,

Joe Marotta

Smile Smile Smile Smile
The Dead Ranger
View Profile
New user
Biloxi, Mississippi
45 Posts

Profile of The Dead Ranger
OK... I'll confess since the thread has gone on so long....

I'm a bit "contrary", so when "mere mortals" start trying to bring me down about the "... when you gonna' get a real job..." thing, I usually just say; "Hey! I'm a bum!... BUT... I'm a happy bum!" then I finish with; "And how amazed will you be when you find out I have the one card you're thinking about turned upside down in this deck? That would really be magic, right?" Smile

Smile - making a reputation day by day...
Margarette
View Profile
Special user
Memphis area
956 Posts

Profile of Margarette
Thanks everyone!

Smile

Margarette
The only stupid question is the one not asked.