The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Not very magical, still... :: Facial Expressions and Magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Ricardo Delgado
View Profile
Loyal user
230 Posts

Profile of Ricardo Delgado
Hi,

Have anyone ever thought of using facial reading expressions to analise or to make magic effects better?

I mean, I started to study this subject (facial expressions), and I think is a great way to have an "instant feedback" on what you are doing. I usually can tell if someone was surprise or amused by magic (well, most of the time is really obvious) but you learn to grasp on finer points and understand people better. But, by studying the face, you could tell things like how your spectators feel before and after your presentation, notice if spectators are interested or not and change your patter accordingly, etc.

It is also a good way to learn to convey "sincere" emotions when you are performing, so people believe you.

Has anyone ever thought of that? Does anyone do that?

I know Paul Ekman is the leading expert on this field of psychology, and I've read some books. I know he has some training programs on micro-expressions and so on. Have anyone tried on of those training programs?
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Slightly to the left of the magic books in the library--793.8--you'll see books on acting, 791 and 792. That's what you're looking for.