The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Not very magical, still... :: Vests. Really? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
ellisd
View Profile
Veteran user
Sacramento
331 Posts

Profile of ellisd
So after 15 years as a magic hobbiest I have to ask-What's up with the vests? Is it a functional thing to give you more pocket space or something? Do magicians think they look cool? Cause they don't. They look like something a Banker from the 1920's might wear to complement his giant walrus mustache. I guarantee to you no woman has ever said boy I want to sleep with that guy in the really sexy vest. Was it something started by Magicians back in the 70's and nobody told them to stop? Is it like Doctor Who saying bow ties are cool?
http://www.erictheballoondude.com

Balloon Twisting for all of Sacramento!
slowkneenuh
View Profile
Regular user
After 5,278+ posts, only credited with
133 Posts

Profile of slowkneenuh
One would think after 15 years you would have been able to figure the answer out yourself.
John

"A poor workman always blames his tools"
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
Quote:
I guarantee to you no woman has ever said boy I want to sleep with that guy in the really sexy vest.

This one has...
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
BRAVO, CRITTER!!!
~michael baker
The Magic Company
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On Mar 12, 2014, critter wrote:
Quote:
I guarantee to you no woman has ever said boy I want to sleep with that guy in the really sexy vest.

This one has...

Uh...can I please borrow your vest?
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On Mar 12, 2014, ellisd wrote:
So after 15 years as a magic hobbiest I have to ask-What's up with the vests? Is it a functional thing to give you more pocket space or something? Do magicians think they look cool? Cause they don't. They look like something a Banker from the 1920's might wear to complement his giant walrus mustache. I guarantee to you no woman has ever said boy I want to sleep with that guy in the really sexy vest. Was it something started by Magicians back in the 70's and nobody told them to stop? Is it like Doctor Who saying bow ties are cool?

That's one persons opinion. It's wrong, but it is still one persons opinion Smile

Of course there are those who (rightly) disagree with your assesment of vests

http://trendmill.com/fashion-trends/431-men-s-vests

http://www.gq.com/video/gq-rules/2008/ho......ns-vests

http://theberry.com/2010/08/23/somethin-......-photos/

http://www.iliketovote.com/jsp/WAppServe......ID=10376

http://noisey.vice.com/blog/vests-and-wh......ing-them

http://www.details.com/style-advice/perf....../slide=1
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
lunatik
View Profile
Inner circle
3226 Posts

Profile of lunatik
I think vests look corny as well. The only thing I can say as for them Being used in a venue is that you would be easy to pick out amongst everyone else and that to me would make perfect sense to wear one.
"Don't let your Dreams become Fantasies"
Loual4
View Profile
Special user
Montreal, Canada
670 Posts

Profile of Loual4
I guess it's a good thing that when I go out to perform, I don't try to pick up women!
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
A vest as part of a three-piece suit has always been acceptable and classy. Without the jacket you might be mistaken for a waiter.

A vest with just a t-shirt and a fedora is another story- unless you're Ed Norton.
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Ed Norton was the funniest man ever to work the sewers. That was a good one Bob!
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
Daryl -the other brother
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
594 Posts

Profile of Daryl -the other brother
Quote:
On Mar 12, 2014, Bob1Dog wrote:
Ed Norton was the funniest man ever to work the sewers.

Heelllooooo Ball
Intrepid
View Profile
Inner circle
Silver Spring, MD
1186 Posts

Profile of Intrepid
Cheap and unfitted clothing looks cheap and unfitted. That's part of the problem you're seeing. Doesn't matter if it's a vest, jacket, shirt, pants or hat.
Bob
Bazinga
View Profile
Loyal user
277 Posts

Profile of Bazinga
But Critter, what was your answer?
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
Well, that's my fiancée so it worked out for me. Hopefully she never catches on to the bum deal she got Smile
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3667 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Yes, it is about the pocket space and looking a little more formal than shirtsleeves but not wearing a jacket (which can be Un-bearably hot in some venues).

Some vests look very nice. As with most clothes, it depends on how they are made, who's wearing them and who's looking.

What do you wear to a gig Ellisd?
I think many wear a vest because they can't think of another answer to the pocket problem but will be very happy to hear of your better option.

-Mary Mowder
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
Nothing wrong with a three piece suit; and your concerns about the opposite sex are somewhat mistaken.

But as Bob said, a waistcoat, (vest is underwear over here), without a jacket tends to make one look like an unemployed billiard cue chalker. Smile
longhaired1
View Profile
Veteran user
Salida
316 Posts

Profile of longhaired1
Quote:

...said the man with the questionable hat.
Dr. Delusion
View Profile
Special user
Eugene, Oregon.
733 Posts

Profile of Dr. Delusion
I always wear a fancy type jacket and sometimes a vest as well. I think it's what ever you feel good wearing and performing in. Everyone has a different idea of what to wear and what looks good to them. Personally I would never show up for a show looking like I just cleaned out my garage, but for David Blaine and Chris Angel that look works for them.
And yes, I've been known to wear a bow tie. My excuse is that even though I live in Eugene, I was born in North Dakota, so that should explain it for me. And no, I don't really like Polka music.
Bob.
0pus
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1739 Posts

Profile of 0pus
Bow ties ARE cool

And nothing looks more fierce than an untied bow tie at the end of the evening.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-CD3AQ4nZN6Y/T-......x300.jpg
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
On Mar 13, 2014, longhaired1 wrote:
Quote:

...said the man with the questionable hat.

LOL. I thought nearly the same thing when I saw the OP's avatar.